News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Anyone Using a BB Cream?  (Read 35756 times)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Anyone Using a BB Cream?
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
After reading so much about them, I ordered this one from Skin79:

http://www.skin79usa.com/index.php/skin-care/bb-cream/skin79-vip-gold-super-plus-bb-cream.html

With UVA/UVB 25 and lots of skin loving ingredients, this cream is a great standin for foundation (as in, you get actual believable coverage) and yet, it's as light as air once it has set. It lasts until it's time to take it off, and doesn't change in texture or color all day long. This is a perfect summertime look for me.

There are many BB's on the market now, and this is the only one I've tried. I'm pretty sure that every cosmetic company will be coming out with one in the near future. Smasbox just launched one on QVC.

I bought mine on Amazon for $14, shipped from Korea in 1.5 weeks.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Anyone Using a BB Cream?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »
Okay, I'll bite...what does BB stand for?  (Obviously, it isn't Bobbi Brown!)  My apologies for living under a rock...
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
I've seen it as "beauty balm," "blemish balm," and "beblesh balm" (whatever that means, lol). From what I've read it became popular when Korean cinema stars began using it, and that popularity more or less swept through Asia. Women there are looking for brighter, lighter skin.

Most of these creams don't come in colors. They also have either a gray or yellow cast when applied, but that settles/evens out in a matter of minutes to a shade that matches your complexion to a tee. It covers everything needing coverage (much like a medium-full coverage foundation), but without the weight or the flat finish. And they all include high SPFs.

Mine is a very light, neutral beige coming out of the pump. It's thick and creamy and the proverbial pea-sized drop does my whole face. The color settles in 10 minutes and my skin tone is evened out and a bit glowy (without being slippery). It doesn't transfer and it's water/sweat proof.

If I add a finishing powder, it looks as "done" as a full makeup. But it doesn't feel like a full makeup application. I also find it to be a perfect eye brightener/concealer when I want to go barefaced.

Google BB cream for lots more info. :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »
Thanks -- I will!  I am assuming, however, that this is not just for blemish-prone skin, right?

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Thanks -- I will!  I am assuming, however, that this is not just for blemish-prone skin, right?

Right. I think the "blemish" name comes from its oil controlling properties (and it is very moisturizing at the same time). Also, I think that the "whitening" only applies to Asian skintones and it's the pigment, not a chemical.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »
Okay!  This sounds better all the time.  I'm off to do more research!  (T. - you are the absolute best at creating new lemmings.  You do know that, right?)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »
Okay!  This sounds better all the time.  I'm off to do more research!  (T. - you are the absolute best at creating new lemmings.  You do know that, right?)

:lol:

They are contagious, aren't they?

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
This site is a good starting point, and offers good info as well as videos and reviews:

http://www.squidoo.com/b-b-cream

Also, BB creams have 5 pages of reviews now on MUA. The one I got has the most reviews, I think, (56) with a 76% repurchase rate.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=117298/Skin79-Super+-BB-Cream-Gold-Label/Unlisted-Brand/Tinted-Moisturizer

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
Thanks again -- those will make my job easier! 

Would you say this is more of a makeup item or skin care?  Or maybe a hybrid?

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
Definitely a hybrid. An all-in-one.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
This really sounds good for cutting back on the number of products we have to use on our faces.  Now I'm thinking it will be hard to choose just one...

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
It's time consuming to narrow them down. I think Missha sells a set of 4 types in sample size. Skin79 has a sampling set, too. But I bought mine without sampling. It was $14, so I just went ahead with the experiment. :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »

I'm continually amazed at how many new products you discover and share with us. And, yes, they are contagious!  :grin:
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
To think that I didn't even realize I needed one of these until this morning!  I had been assuming they were for the young'uns who have breakout-prone skin...not for anyone my age at all.

Crystal

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »
I have been using the herbal BB Cream, it comes in one shade and what I thought was going to be  to dark for me. but only a small amount is used and it blends in perfectly.
 I got it for my red undertones and dry areas in the T zone. I have wasted so much money on foundations and powders that irritate my skin and make it even more flakey or red.
I use my choice of heavy moisturizer underneath, it alone wasn't enough...but I have terribly dry skin.
 Since I started menopause my facial skin is very sensitive, red, prone to break outs if I use the wrong moisturizers and flaky at the same time.  :cry:
This brand is  a German Company, not Korean and very, very different that the others. I found it quite by accident on eBay. Last one of a lot and he only wanted ten dollars.  Since so little is used I probably will have most of it left at the end of this year. Little goes a long long way. I also found the price has went up dramatically as with any facial products....more people find out about it...the more they want to charge...LOL.  Anyway I will always use this from now on. 
Here is what got me to try it...........

Konigin Perfect Herbal BB CREAM Blemish Skin Treatment

Special skin care application for irritated red blemished skin with enlarged pores. It vitalizes and hydrates the skin..
BB Cream is a special treatment developed specially for blemish, impure,irritated and red skin.
Its calming and protecting effects reduces skin irritations and its nurturing covering effect will diminish the redness of the skin without clogging the pores.
The skin will return to its natural balance and will have its normal skin functions.
The optimal moisturizing technology and the natural ingredients will give your skin what it needs. The result is a skin,that has a healthy glow. Protection from sun exposure (UVA+UVB)