News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Has anyone tried BoomSILK by Cindy Joseph?  (Read 5372 times)

marci65

• Platinum Member
Has anyone tried BoomSILK by Cindy Joseph?
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
I am very tempted to try this.  I currently rely on Bee Yummy Skin Food as my organic moisturizer -- I always use it after I do peels and Clarisonic treatments.  I am running low on BYSF and think I may try the Boomsilk when I see a promo code.  In the meantime, was wondering if anyone had experience with this product (not the Boomstick Glo).  Thanks.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Has anyone tried BoomSILK by Cindy Joseph?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:17:21 PM »
The Boomsilk looks like a lovely natural product, very similar to Egyptian Magic, or the less expensive also similar product, Medicine Mama's Sweet Blessed Bee(Cream?) . One can get a 2-oz. jar of the Sweet Blessed Bee for just $15 at Whole Foods or some other natural foods stores. I was looking at this myself as a great switch-off. There was a tester of the Sweet Blessed Bee at my natural foods co-op here in SF, and it does feel lovely on. I only got to put on the back of my hand though.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
It does sound like Egyptian Magic, which has been around a long time and is a staple for lots of people.  That Sweet Bee Magic looks lovely as well.  (I think this is the right one.)

http://www.medicinemamasapothecary.com/order
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
"It does sound like Egyptian Magic, which has been around a long time and is a staple for lots of people.  That Sweet Bee Magic looks lovely as well.  (I think this is the right one.)" - makinalist

Yes, that's it! I think I might pop for that small jar - that way, if I don't like it on face, I can always use it on feet or hands or elbows and not be out a lot of money. But I have a strong sense that this would be a very nice night cream with some rosehip oil underneath as a natural Vitamin A and C influence. Regular retinol creams, even drugstore, tend to dry and irritate me if used too often(like every night). If I Iike the Sweet Bee Magic enough at night, I might end up using it during the day too. It seems like it absorbs well, which makes a difference for applying makeup.
When I was on Cindy Joseph's site, and then saw her YouTube video about simplicity in skin care and the push for Boomsilk, I was intrigued by the fact that she has the beekeepers in Hawaii make her cream, or at least the recipe comes from them anyway. I'd love to know about THESE folks myself!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
I've not tried any of Cindy's products because while I enjoy a no fuss day with makeup on some days, I do love putting makeup and blending here and there and matching/contrasting my makeup with my outfit.  Some days, I want a peachy look, dramatic eyes, the natural look.  But, this sounds nice. Let us know how you like it, Marci65 if you decide to pull the trigger.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
SusieQ - the BoomSilk isn't a color cosmetic like CJ's couple of other products - it's an all-over skin balm that can be used for both face and body. Simplicity!

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
If a BOOM code appears before I meander to my local Whole Foods (to check out the other possibility mentioned) I will try the Boomsilk.  I will let you know!

bigstormgirl

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »
I have the Boomsilk.  The consistency is very creamy and not a balm like Egyptian Magic (I have that too).  It is nice on very dry areas and I have noticed it being somewhat healing.  I don't really like using it on my face due to it feeling a little greasy, and doesn't sink in very well (just like EM).  If I use it on my face, I make sure my face is damp and use very little.   A little goes a long way.

My only peeve with it is the product separates.  I have to stir it up if it sits for a couple days.
Cindy
NC20-25, Oily skin
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Henna

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »
I tried a knockoff of Egyptian Magic from an indie online seller I didn't like the consistency of that either (the thick balm feel).  I like a more creamy feel which is why I've loved Bee Yummy Skin Food (which doesn't separate -- mine used to sit for weeks at a time before I started using it 2x per week).    I would have to try the Boomsilk to see if I get the separation too -- have you tried contacting BOOM/Cindy on the website to ask if that's normal for the product and how to prevent it?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »
@marci65 - was the knock-off you tried the Blessed Sweet Bee Magic by any chance? I happen to love balm-like things myself! They had a tester of this at my co-op and I loved the way it felt on my hand when I tried it. I haven't bought anything new just yet however - still using up what I have which won't take all that long.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
No, it was Nefertiti Beauty Balm by Camellia Rose.  It didn't spread easily for me and didn't absorb well.  Could have been user error on my part, but I just like a nice rich basic natural cream that I can slap on regardless of amount and have it absorb and make my skin feel great. 

http://www.camelliarose.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/4483237/8356069.htm

bigstormgirl

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
I tried a knockoff of Egyptian Magic from an indie online seller I didn't like the consistency of that either (the thick balm feel).  I like a more creamy feel which is why I've loved Bee Yummy Skin Food (which doesn't separate -- mine used to sit for weeks at a time before I started using it 2x per week).    I would have to try the Boomsilk to see if I get the separation too -- have you tried contacting BOOM/Cindy on the website to ask if that's normal for the product and how to prevent it?

No, I haven't contacted Boom, but I think I will. 

Geeze, I have tried Bee Yummy a couple of years ago, but I can't remember why I stopped.  Need to look at it again.  Due to my oily skin, I can't stand anything that doesn't absorb quickly.  Boom takes a while when very little is used, and EM really didn't absorb at all.
Cindy
NC20-25, Oily skin

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
BYSF seems to absorb quickly for me, but my skin has a tendency towards the dry side.  Perhaps it was cost that may have nudged you to stop using it -- I find it to be very expensive.  But since I've tried this and the Nefertiti Beauty Balm, I would rather pay more for a product that I like and know works well for me than experiment and end up using it as a pricey body lotion. 

www.live-live.com is the website for BYSF and I think they have a sample pack of several products for under $10.  That's how I got hooked on it, started with the little sample jar.  I have also seen BYSF carried on iHerb.com for a few $ less than on the live-live site but I usually purchase from live-live because I am sure they have higher turnover of product so it's more fresh.  Even with the honey in it and not likely to "turn", I want it as fresh as possible when I buy it.  A 4 oz jar lasts me around a year. 
ETA:  Here's the link to the sample pack -- $5.95 and free shipping:
http://www.live-live.com/Bee-Yummy-Sample-Pack--United-States-Customers-only-Free-shipping-for-US-customers-Please-allow-2-3-weeks-for-delivery_p_1124.html

If BOOM had a sample size of the Boomsilk, I would buy that immediately and just wait for a sale to get a larger size if I like it.  I really hope that they start offering samples in the future.

bigstormgirl

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »
I wish I could remember why I didn't reorder BY.  My memory, or lack of, can drive me nuts sometimes. >:(

My skin has a tough time absorbing anything with a lot of oil.  It will just sit there and it drives me crazy.  I have lost count on things I've ordered where reviews will say that it absorbs quickly, and it will do the opposite with me.  With Boomsilk, I use it on my dry elbows (which makes them super soft).  Not sure if I will repurchase though.  But it does work great on super dry areas on me.  I will say when I have used it on my face (only before bedtime), my face does look great and soft when I wake up.  It just absorbs super slow on my oily skin.

I'm going to look at BY again.  Maybe it will jar a sudden memory.  :lol:
Cindy
NC20-25, Oily skin

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
"mine used to sit for weeks at a time before I started using it 2x per week" - bigstormgirl

@bigstormgirl:
If one has dry skin in the least, isn't one supposed to use a cream at once or twice daily? Or did you just use it as a special body treat?

I checked out the Bee Yummy on live-live - it does sound like a wonderful product! A bit on the expensive side for me though, at a whole 39 bucks for just 2 ounces, but I can see what goes into making this product so at the same time I can understand why they have to price it this way - a lot of work and a very particular process it sounds like. I'm on a really low beauty budget so I have to be super-careful with what I buy.