News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 19721 times)

coloredpencils

• Silver Member
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 12:25:41 AM »
Fight Club, again. It didn't quite make sense...and Brad Pitt and all...but once you read the (short) book, there is much more to it. Love.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »
 ;) I have three on my night table:

Child of Mine by  Ellyn Satter
    Double Cross By James Patterson
    8th Confession by James Patterson

Love a good mystery...
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

clover68

• win24@mua
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »
I know I'm older and shouldn't be reading these, but I love young adult paranormal fiction.  There's no bad words, the stories are well-written, and the topics are interesting. 

As far as adult books go, I like to read bibliographies, WWII history romance, self-help, and some books in the romance section that doesn't include any hot stuff; Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, Kristin Hannah, etc....

I also love reading mags when I'm bored.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
The Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith. I like his gentleness and insight. I'm listening to an unabridged audio book Murder In A Cathedral, a murder mystery by Ruth Dudley Edwards. She's created a wonderfully strong, very politically incorrect and sometimes infuriating character in Baroness Ida "Jack" Troutbeck. I've just finished Everything I Knew by Peter Goldsworthy, an Australian author. It's set in 1964, mostly, and is about a teenage boy in an Australian country town, his love for his teacher and the consequences, but it's about so much more. Very well-written. And I'm about to read The Shack because a work colleague gave it to me and would like my comments. It isn't a book I would ordinarily pick up. The older I get the more reading I need to cram in! So many books, so little time.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Kelly

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
I am about to read Choosing Civility. I saw an elderly woman return the book at my library, and I was intrigued.

I can't imagine what she thinks about society, as she looked like she might have been born in the early 30s, but in my lifetime things sure have changed. Even people in the services industry (who rely on customers) are rude. It's almost like it's cool to be rude. ::)

I look forward to reading it and remembering a time when everyone practiced good manners.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »
I want to read Her Fearful Symmetry. Am going to try our library for it today. It's by Audrey Niffenegger (author of The Time Traveler's Wife).

I just finished a book called I'm with Stupid. I did not like it so much. I don't know why I waste my time finishing books that I don't like. It's some kind of compulsion with me
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Carolina

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
Oh, how fun! I'm always looking for book rec's. Someone above was reading "Loving Frank" which I found pretty compelling reading. Right now I'm trying Garth Stein's "The Art of Racing In The Rain" for my reading group. Just finished Dinesh D'Souza's "What's So Great About Christianity" for another reading group. 

Just for me? Well, I loved Jhumpa Lahiri's "Unaccustomed Earth" and "The Namesake." There's just something so emotionally true and poetic (and heartbreaking sometimes) about her stories. Next up? My library has "The Highest Tide" waiting for me.

haz2muchmkup

• Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »
Hi - I'm new here --- I just finished reading:

5th Horseman, James Patterson
  • Complexion: combination
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: coppery brown

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 10:34:28 AM »
I'm going to admit that I like a lot of chick lit. I've read all of Sophie Kinsella's books and find them hilarious. Anyone else willing to admit to this?
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
I havent been doing much reading lately but here are my past favs:

Sue Grafton (Kinsey Malone series A-..., Anne River Siddons, Jo Ann Mapson -tho I have only read Hank and Choloe, Sara Parentsky(sp?)

Also have read some paranormal stuff like Kelley Armstrong and some of Anne Rices.

Now that fall is here would love to start again with more serious stuff. Lately have re read
Are you Somebody by Nuala O' Faolain.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
I'm going to admit that I like a lot of chick lit. I've read all of Sophie Kinsella's books and find them hilarious. Anyone else willing to admit to this?
Ruh-roh!  Is that a genre that's pooh-poohed?  Ulp, I din' know!  Well, I'll fess up- I like her too!  My fave was Undomestic Goddess... 'cause don't think I haven't had the impulse to keep driving right on by the house sometimes, on my way to a new life in England as a different person! HA!
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.
~Raymond Chandler~

Ilovemydog

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
Right now I'm trying Garth Stein's "The Art of Racing In The Rain" for my reading group.

Such an awesome book. Everyone I've recommended it to has raved about it. I may read it again.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:52:51 AM by Ilovemydog »
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.  - Katherine Hepburn

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
A couple of years ago, my son gave me "An Open Heart" by the Dalai Lama. It's a short book, but it took me awhile to read because there is something powerfully beautiful and uplifting to contemplate in almost every page!
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »
Hi - I'm new here --- I just finished reading:

5th Horseman, James Patterson

Welcome, haz2muchmkup! My mom and I love these series. She just finished the 8th Confession and I've just started it.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

haz2muchmkup

• Bronze Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
Thanks! I also just finished Patterson's Swimsuit in 2 days!! A little different from his other books, but very interesting.
  • Complexion: combination
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: coppery brown