News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 19735 times)

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:42 AM »
When my husband first became ill, I started listening to recorded books at night (it helped me relax and I was having trouble concentrating on reading anyway). It's become an ingrained habit. I still read books, but I listen to just as many. Last night I finished a mystery by Christopher Fowler, "The Ten-Second Staircase", which was a lot of fun. He's written a series, and I think I'll look into more. I also like Anne Perry's mysteries.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
I have just begun reading: The End of Fashion: How Mass Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever.

Riveting! It would seem the French really did themselves in with licensing.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
I finally finished Pillars of the Earth.  Then spent a couple of days reading Winter's Bone, and am looking forward to the film.

I must check out Mildred Pierce, from the library,  before the HBO series airs!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
I needed something light. I am reading Chelsea Handler's Are You There, Vodka? .... Its okay. No concentration required.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
Just read The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball about running an organic farm--really interesting.  Started Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton--chef of her restaurant Prune in NYC.--also interesting---I am all about food from farm to plate!

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
sau, you'd probably like the book I'm reading: "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
I will get that next, Betty---thanks!

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »
I finally finished Pillars of the Earth.  Then spent a couple of days reading Winter's Bone, and am looking forward to the film.

I must check out Mildred Pierce, from the library,  before the HBO series airs!

I really loved Pillars of the Earth. What a story, and what a departure from Ken Follett's normal fare! I couldn't put it down.

So I was eager for the release of the sequel, World Without End. It was disappointing. It's not the epic, captivating tale that Pillars is.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Emma Peel

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
I read the Stieg Larsson trilogy and saw the movies.  Great stuff.

Now I'm reading PD James, Devices and Desires.  Very good so far.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
p.s. Got Alison Weir books craving, I think I´ve read and enjoyed Lady Elizabeth.

What´s this about a list of FREE books for Kindle? Should I get Kindle? (Should I start another topic for it?)

Oh, and I´ve read Samuel Pepys´Diaries many times, I just love the way they give you a real picture of the life and times of London - although he was a horrid unfaithful man who abused women.

I´d love to find more genuine diaries from 16th - 19th century, any recommendations?

I´d really like a time machine, but as that is not available....

I checked out the Diaries ... on Amazon and came across a biographer Claire Tomalin who wrote a well-reviewed biography of Pepys.  I might read that first.  Have you read this??????

I loved the Lady Elizabeth! Right now have Grave Disorder by Charlotte de ne Guerre.The book description is as follows:

"This first of a series book about Claire Foster and her beautiful ancestor, the Baroness Elysia von Eschenbach, was written to intrigue and delight you. Two tales in one. Modern and gothic stories artfully interwoven into one engaging book based on the author's life. The author's discovery that she suffered from a "grave disorder" and her investigation into the ancestral genealogy of her family led her to search further. She was horrified when reading in a medical journal that this disorder, known as porphyria, was thought to be the disease of the vampires. Her research through the empirical knowledge of the ages led her through revelations beyond surprise and to enlightenment at journey's end."

I sometimes am attracted to odd subjects.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
Sounds fascinating to me!  (Also enjoy odd subjects.)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

bogsc

• Bronze Member
« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »
Sau, you might like the book I'm currently reading...DEATH BY PAD THAI AND OTHER UNFORGETTABLE MEALS, edited by Douglas Bauer.  20 great writers on romance, disappointment, family, celebration and the meals that inspired them.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #222 on: May 07, 2011, 03:53:33 AM »
I´ve already re-read the Alison Weir books I ordered: King Henry the VIII, Queen Elizabeth I, and The six wives of King Henry the VIII.

In fact I just ordered three more books, The Innocent Traitor, Children of King Henry the VIII and The Princes in the Tower.

I am endlessly curious about what the everyday life of other people is like and how it was in the 15th and 16th century, and I am fascinated by the way Ms Weir can bring the past alive. (Plus, am somehow obsessed with Elizabeth I.)

I read lots, but these books are like pearls, standing out there!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
I enjoy historical fiction, and well researched historical books.  The movies can give us such a glamorous view of living in castles.  Often these books make me glad I missed it all.  Thanks for the report, anne.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
'Furious Love' an biography of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Second to author or historical figures I love celeb bios!
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown