News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 19720 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
Thanks! I also just finished Patterson's Swimsuit in 2 days!! A little different from his other books, but very interesting.

I do love reading Patterson. I also read some of the Alex Cross series. I'll have to check out Swimsuit.  :)  I love it when Borders has the 40% on one item coupon!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
One of my favorite all-time read is Pat Conroy's "Beach Music." So complex and well written.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Susanne

• Gold Member
  • Susanner @ MUA
Bel Canto, Run, and Jitterbug Perfume
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
I really need this thread.  I hate picking books out myself but if someone recommends one I'm ever so happy.  Thanks to those of you for posting Loving Frank.  I love Wright's architecture and I have to read this.

I just finished two in a row by Ann Patchett...Bel Canto was amazing.  Then I finished Run just yesterday (getting over the stomach flu), and I was disappointed...the last third just dragged and dragged.  I have to stop reading two in a row from the same author.

Next I have Tom Robbins Jitterbug Perfume.  Has anyone liked it?  Any of the fume ladies maybe?

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »
The last book I really loved was Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth.  Now I have World Without End waiting for me to pick it up and get started!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Kelly

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »
The last book I really loved was Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth

That was a fantastic story and so different from his others.

Looks like a TV miniseries is in the works (no actors yet): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1453159/

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
The last book I really loved was Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth

That was a fantastic story and so different from his others.

Looks like a TV miniseries is in the works (no actors yet): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1453159/
Yes, very different.  I just ran over to IMDB, and the cast is there now.  I hope they do a good job.  I always prefer the book over a movie.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

castell

• Platinum Member
  • castell
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »
I just finished Reading Lolita in Tehran.
Would really like to know anyone else's opinion----it made me realize i don't have it so bad here in the old USA----and the need to find a support group that helps women who's governments are literally killing them.
There are good days and there are bad days and this is one of them.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
I enjoyed "Pillars of the Earth," too. Great story! I read the sequel "World Without End" this summer, and it was also an engaging read.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »
A few more good ones:
"I Don't Know How She Does It"  by Allison Pearson  (Prolly like if you like Kinsella)
"Love Walked In" and "Belong to Me" by Marisa De Los Santos
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

ontariogirl

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 06:07:51 PM »
 " I peed in my snowsuit" by Robert Munsch...or something like that...I have read it everynight for 71 days LOL

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 12:36:59 AM »
LMAO Cathy!  The kiddles do have their faves, don't they?  And it's useless to try to push something new!  You ever read any of the "Pigeon" books? (Mo Willems)  They are a hoot, I bet your boys would love them.
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.
~Raymond Chandler~

ontariogirl

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »
You ever read any of the "Pigeon" books? (Mo Willems)  They are a hoot, I bet your boys would love them.

No I don't think I have!  We will have to look for these at the library this week!  Thanks!  ;)

Marcia

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
" I peed in my snowsuit" by Robert Munsch...or something like that...I have read it everynight for 71 days LOL

I love Robert Munsch. When I was teaching that's how I bribed my kids - I'd promise to read his books!

Here are some recommendations - what I'm reading right now is pretty inconsequential.
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom - loved the spiritual message from the book. It doesn't matter what religion you are, you can learn a lot about how to behave from this book.

The Help by Stockett which was mentioned before. I really enjoyed this one.

The Weight of Silence by Gudenkopf - absolutely wonderful. One of my favorite books this year.

South of Broad by Pat Conroy - it's not as good as his first book but I enjoyed these characters a lot.

castell

• Platinum Member
  • castell
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
What The Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell, a collection of his New Yorker essays and Vanity Fair.
There are good days and there are bad days and this is one of them.

kit

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
I highly recommend anything by Richard Russo, but especially for TB readers, check out his latest, "That Old Cape Magic".

It's a wonderful weaving of family, hopes, and waylaid dreams. Funny and touching...not too downhearted, but definitely full of real life hurdles.