News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Butter London's Yummy Mommy...Silly Name...  (Read 4709 times)

bogsc

• Bronze Member
Butter London's Yummy Mommy...Silly Name...
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
...interesting polish.  Wasn't sure I'd like taupe on my nails but since I have a Ricky's in my neighborhood I decided to take the plunge.  Just used it now and it's growing on me really quickly!  Also bought their All Hail McQueen as well.  I have a feeling I may live in these two polishes most of the fall 'cause they are such pretty neutrals.  A few days ago I ordered a bunch of the CG Vintage Vixen nail polishes as well. 

bogsc

• Bronze Member
Re: Butter London's Yummy Mommy...Silly Name...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:36:27 AM »
Just saw Butter London's Tea with the Queen on Beauty Look Book and I'm thinking I need it.  Beautiful sheer pink.  I'm rapidly falling in love with this line of nail polishes.  Thank god I have a Ricky's in Soho!  Polish is smooth enough that I can actually apply it myself and have it look nice.   

Been wearing Emerald Fitzgerald this week from China Glaze's Vintage Vixen collection. Would never have been brave enough to wear dark emerald green polish in my 20s.  Definitely have to bring it to a nail salon though...I always screw up home manicures with dark polishes. 

Kelly

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:37 AM »
I do agree that is a bizarre name! But the writeup looks wonderful, and Tea With the Queen is a really pretty color, at least on her. I fear it would disappear on me, as I need a bit of color contrast on my nails because my hands are so pink (not white or cream).

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »
Sabrina created a wicked lemming for me when she reviewed Roccoco nail polish in Re-Issue. Not available over here, alas.

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
bogsc, both of those look bee-yoo-ti-ful!  Butter London recs Yummy Mummy as THE perfect nude for everyone.  Those are definitely on my Lemming List!
ZZ, Re-issue looks scrumptious there, too.  Since you first mentioned it, I've been on the hunt for a duplicate.  No luck yet  :(
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.
~Raymond Chandler~

bogsc

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 09:48:55 AM »
Had a manicure done with BL's All Hail McQueen and think it's a fabulous color.  Like Yummy Mommy, this one is going to work year round.  Still trying to get my hands on Tea with the Queen.  Have to check Ricky's again.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:08:47 AM »
I have Yummy Mummy on my toes right now-- I've been searching forever for a taupe color that doesn't look weird on my very pink/purplish toes, this is it!

I want Branwen's Feather next. I never do my fingernails, just toes, so I can get pretty crazy with colors.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

bogsc

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »
I have Yummy Mummy on my toes right now-- I've been searching forever for a taupe color that doesn't look weird on my very pink/purplish toes, this is it!

I want Branwen's Feather next. I never do my fingernails, just toes, so I can get pretty crazy with colors.

I'm really impressed with Butter London's wear as well.  All Hail McQueen really didn't show much wear (even at tips) for almost a week!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
Oh, be still my beating heart! These look and sound like they might work for my over pink hands.

So many neutrals are too warm (too much yellow in them) for my hands. One time I put on a neutral without giving it much thought and even my SON said, "Um, Mom, are you sure you want to wear that color?" He was right - it clashed in the worst way with my skin tone.

I think I might have to try Tea with the Queen based on the picture. Maybe more!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
Oh, be still my beating heart! These look and sound like they might work for my over pink hands.

So many neutrals are too warm (too much yellow in them) for my hands. One time I put on a neutral without giving it much thought and even my SON said, "Um, Mom, are you sure you want to wear that color?" He was right - it clashed in the worst way with my skin tone.

I think I might have to try Tea with the Queen based on the picture. Maybe more!

Styyna, I know exactly what you mean. And I'm happy with the wear time, too.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:46 AM »
You pink-handed peeps please let me know how it works out. I, too, never wear light polishes because they give me lobster paws.

Kelly

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »
I just finished giving myself a manicure with Yummy Mummy.

What a gorgeous color! To my eyes, it is a very pale taupe with a hint of lavender. And the best news is no lobster claws.

I also have Aston, and I am about to pull the trigger on Tea with the Queen, Fash Pack, British Racing Green, Scoundrel, and All Hail McQueen (which is called the winter version of Yummy Mummy).

butter LONDON polishes currently ship free at beauty.com. No code needed.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
I received but haven't tried:

Tea with the Queen
Blowing Raspberries - my kind of red
Knees Up - for my toes and maybe New Year's Eve

I got them from drugstore.com/beauty.com.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »
I got Butter London's Fash Pack and Deborah Lippmann's Dark Side of the Moon from Beauty.com.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 03:00:07 AM »
Update on Butter London's Tea with the Queen

I have pink hands and anything the least bit yellow in a polish looks obviously out of place.

I can wear this color as a great neutral. . .but I can't wear a lot of clothing colors with it. With blue, white, grey, black it will be great. Anything with red or yellow is going to catch and emphasize the tiny bit of yellow that is in this color. Now that's just against my skin. YMMV

It's very pretty and went on like a dream. Now to see how it wears.

Kelly

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
Update on Butter London's Tea with the Queen

I have pink hands and anything the least bit yellow in a polish looks obviously out of place.

I can wear this color as a great neutral. . .but I can't wear a lot of clothing colors with it. With blue, white, grey, black it will be great. Anything with red or yellow is going to catch and emphasize the tiny bit of yellow that is in this color. Now that's just against my skin. YMMV

It's very pretty and went on like a dream. Now to see how it wears.

Styyna, my hands are the same, and that is exactly how I feel about Yummy Mummy. I think they call this a beige with shimmer, but it looks like a cool beige to me. Almost a very pale mushroom color.

When my hands are in repose and I am living a life of leisure, the polish looks great, but as soon as my hands get red and roughened up by work, the color sort of fades away. They didn't look so great yesterday after a few hours of yardwork, but they look divine this morning.

So during the work week when I am merely tapping away at my keyboard it should be fine, as long as I don't shovel show first. :D

Oh, and 48 hours later, the polish still looks fresh out of the bottle.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
Further update: In daylight I don't like this color on me. Too much yellow in it, even when my hands aren't red and ropey from hard work.

I don't think I can imagine a fairly neutral color like this that would work for me. I just have too much pink in my hands.

Next up:  Butter London's Blowing Raspberries (next week if this color lasts that long - I don't like it but I'm too lazy to redo it until next Sun.)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
Styyna, now I'm glad I got the Fash Pack instead. I bet YM would have been too yellow for me as well.
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
Styyna, now I'm glad I got the Fash Pack instead. I bet YM would have been too yellow for me as well.

I am pretty sure Styyna is wearing Tea with the Queen, not YM.

I have been wearing YM since Saturday morning. I've looked at it in all lights, and I see no yellow. Just a beige-taupe-mushroom with a hint of lavender. Really pretty. I'll take a picture later and post it.

Fash Pack is on its way to me from beauty.com. Along with:

British Racing Green
Scoundrel
Rosie Lee
Tea with the Queen
All Hail The Queen
Queen Vic

I also own Aston now. :blush:

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
Ooops, you are indeed correct, Zuzu. Does that mean I have to buy YM now? :evil:

Kelly

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »
 :evil: :evil:  Or you can wait for the pics.   :angel: :angel:

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
Somebody please hurry up and post a pic of Yummy Mummy!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
Somebody please hurry up and post a pic of Yummy Mummy!

Shhh. . .be patient or Listy will be here telling you (and any other laggards like me :blush:) to wash brushes while we wait for pics. :lol:

I have conjunctivitis so not only do I have to wash all my MU brushes but obviously I am sans eye makeup these days. Fortunately, I know how and when I got it and I hadn't applied any eye makeup for a few days before so I know my treasures are uncontaminated.

Still, I believe it's a good idea to be certain my eye makeup brushes are clean, clean, clean for when this clears up.

OT: I have a bottle of wine in the fridge:  Mommy's Time Out (no idea what varietal; we got it because of the name) and this topic reminds me (Mummy is kind of like Mommy, no?) of it. Maybe tonight I'll put in a movie and sip some wine.

Kelly

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
I tried. I just could not get a good picture using indoor incandescent lighting and a camera flash. I'll try to remember to snap one tomorrow

I have decided YM isn't for me. To be sure, it's a gorgeous color, but I do not live a life of total leisure, so my hands are usually pink, mostly from circulation.

My HG nail polish color is less than $5 a bottle, and a manicure lasts a week, so I should not push it. :D