News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: CND Shellac  (Read 12696 times)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
CND Shellac
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I got a manicure with the brand new Creative Nail Designs "Shellac." This is a gel nail polish that is cured with a UV lamp. It is like armor for your nails. After two weeks, my nails were as shiny as Day 1 with no chips. I'm usually lucky to get a week out of a regular manicure, and even then there's some chipping and dulling. Not with the Shellac. They come off with an acetone soak. I had a dark shade (Fedora) and just had them redone tonight in a French manicure. I could have gone another week probably (there was a space where the new growth was at the base of the nailbed.) I am sold on this and may be swapping away all my other nail colors! (I can't part with my brand new Chanel one yet, though.)
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

Re: CND Shellac
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »
Can they not use your own nail polish?

Sounds really promising though. Shiny nails for a couple weeks wiht no chips or smears! I also am lucky to have my manicures look good for long. By day 5, they're dull and starting to chip. By day 7 a new job is overdue.

And an acetone soak is no biggie. Just use lots of moisturizer and cuticle cream after, yes?

How does the cost compare to a regular manicure and how long does it take?

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
No, they have to use the gel nail polish. It takes about 45 minutes for the entire process. Each coat has to be cured under the light for two minutes. It's more expensive than a regular manicure, but if I can get three weeks of freshness out of it, it's worth the $45.
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »
Totally. A weekly manicure is at least $15.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
Totally. A weekly manicure is at least $15.
However, most of the time I did my fingernails by myself at home. I cannot do the gels at home even if I invested in the products and the UV lamp. It requires more precision to keep the gel off the cuticles.

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:00:50 AM »
I have been having a "Shellac" manicure every three weeks most of the summer.  My nail tech had all the polishes early but the UV dryer was slow to arrive.  Words cannot express how much I love this stuff.  It is three weeks of flawless, perfect fingernails.  Perfectly dry after 2 minutes that I even go grocery shopping immediately after the manicure without any worry of ruining the nails. 

I think eventually they will sell this to the public but right now you can only buy it if you are professional.  The dryer is somewhere around $140. and the polishes are $15. and they have very limited colors. The application is tricky too because every bit of nail has to be polished or the "seal" is broken and it will peel. My tech took a 3 hour class from Creative before she started using it.

I think this is the best thing to happen since sliced bread in the "beauty" community. It costs $42 and well worth it.  Also, it does not damage the nail at all like acrylics, which I had for 14 years.   

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:55 AM »
Yes, graciez, thanks for mentioning the drying time, or lack thereof. You can do anything immediately after the manicure, including dig for car keys in your black hole of a pocketbook.

I have found a place online that will sell to the general public but, as I said, I'm not skilled enough to do this on my own anyway.

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
barbr...how do they take the Shellac off your nail?  First time she used those wrap around things but they didn't work well.  The next time she used pure acetone that I soaked in for about 3 minutes. I think it was 91%..not sure...she is going to show me because I'll be going to Florida for the winter next month and in case I can't find someone close by who does Shellac, I'll be able to take them off by myself.

My tech is not going to be happy that the general public can buy this system.  She was soooo upset when OPI started selling in stores and wasn't part of the salon only business.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »
graciez, I soaked mine in acetone for about 5 minutes and they pretty much peeled off. Then I just used an orange stick to get the little bit that remained. It was very quick and easy.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:01:35 AM »
Here is a link to an article about Gel Manicures and the health concerns.  It says that the CND Shellac may be a healthier alternative.  I was scared off of the gel, maybe I will look for the CND Shellac. It looks very pretty!

Link:  http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/07/21/the-truth-about-gel-manicures-plus-shellac-a-new-safer-op/
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »
Yes, graciez, thanks for mentioning the drying time, or lack thereof. You can do anything immediately after the manicure, including dig for car keys in your black hole of a pocketbook.

When I had my hair done recently, one of the salon owners had just had her nails done, and she showed me how though they immediately were by rubbing her nails over the door jamb. Rather than damage the nails, she actually picked up a bit of white wall paint!

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 02:27:49 PM »
I got my first gel manicure last night but not with the CND shellac product you mention here.  Ordinarily I get weekly manicures so I'll be interested to see if I can really go a few weeks before needing one with this product.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
My salon does CNDShellac, but I have been unwilling to try it. I don't even use their UV light regular dryers. There's been quite a few articles written lately about new cancer sites - under the nail beds. I let my nails air dry.

Here's one article (there are many more if you Google it):

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/nail-salon-dryer-skin-cancer-danger
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 03:54:38 PM »
Interesting, Tupelo. While my hand was under the UV lamp, I was thinking "is this going to give me a sunburn?" The skin cancer connection did not click, though. I'll have to research this further and check with my dermatologist.