News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: CND Shellac  (Read 12711 times)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
Re: CND Shellac
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
I got my first gel manicure last night but not with the CND shellac product you mention here.  Ordinarily I get weekly manicures so I'll be interested to see if I can really go a few weeks before needing one with this product.
If those are the gel nails with tips, they may require "fills" in 2-3 weeks. With the CNS, they just remove and repolish.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 02:15:48 PM »
Interesting, Tupelo. While my hand was under the UV lamp, I was thinking "is this going to give me a sunburn?" The skin cancer connection did not click, though. I'll have to research this further and check with my dermatologist.

On 9/11 I decided to give the CND Shellac a try. My sister and I both had it done. I had mine done in Opi "Boyfriend."  It is still perfectly sealed and unmarred, but I am beginning to see the new growth at the base of my nails. The time under the lamps is pretty quick (about 2 mins. total), and there is no dry down time when the manicure's complete.

I'll see how the removal goes on Saturday (next appointment), but I'm thinking I could do this every 2 weeks and enjoy perfect nails in between :)
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Tupelo, how did you get an OPI shade in the CND Shellac? They have their own colors in the gel formula. Can you use a regular nail polish with the CND top and base coat and UV light?
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Tupelo...I don't understand this...love to hear how this is done..Tx.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
Tupelo, how did you get an OPI shade in the CND Shellac? They have their own colors in the gel formula. Can you use a regular nail polish with the CND top and base coat and UV light?

My salon has about 3 dozen Opi shades in the shellac.

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »
Does it say OPI on the label or is it named something else?  Tx.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Tupelo...I don't understand this...love to hear how this is done..Tx.

I have only had this done once, but this is what my technician did:  select a color (I chose one of the Opi shades), normal shaping/filing/buffing, one layer of shellac which is gel-like in consistency, then that hand under the lamp (specialized lamp for this process), while the other hand was done. They did 3 layers. About a minute under the lamp for both hands when  the application was completed. My nails were completely glossy and dry after the last minute under the lamp. No base coat or top coat was applied. The cost was $30.

I understand that they will wrap my nails in cloth soaked in pure acetone to remove the shellac on Saturday. It will peel off gently in one piece. Then they'll do the normal shaping maintenance, oil my nails and let the oil sit for 10 minutes. Then I'll wash up and they will apply the shellac.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »
Does it say OPI on the label or is it named something else?  Tx.

It absolutely says "Opi," and the shades are identical to the Opi lacquer shades. I'll try to get my sis to take a cell phone pic of the Opi shellac rack and e-mail it to me to share with you all :) They come in little pots, just as the CND shades do.

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
I hate to have you go through all of that but it's sweet of you Tupelo..I guess it's curious minds that want to know it all..and think they know everything about nails but don't!!

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
I just found it on Amazon.com..we can buy the polishes and the UV light gel dryer too..I might invest in it.....even if investment is $200. it will be worth it in the long run.  At least, I'll think about it..

http://www.amazon.com/OPI-Axxium-Soak-Style-Starters/dp/B002Z2YIRC

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »
I hate to have you go through all of that but it's sweet of you Tupelo..I guess it's curious minds that want to know it all..and think they know everything about nails but don't!!

If my sister's willing, I think the folks at my salon will love the documentation. Mayble you'll all come to Media, Pa and visit China Nails with me :)

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
Having my nails done with sounds like so much fun!   :grin:

I was reading the reviews on Amazon.  They said that OPI gel polish was hard to get off..takes a long time..what they mean by "long" I have no idea.  It took me no more than 10 minutes soaking in the acetone to get the polish off...I'll be anxious to hear how it goes for you...good luck!!

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
The OPI gels come in pots but the CND Shellac comes in a nail polish bottle. Do the pots have a thicker consistency than nail polish?

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »
The OPI gels come in pots but the CND Shellac comes in a nail polish bottle. Do the pots have a thicker consistency than nail polish?

My sister did the CND Shellac and was sitting right next to me when we had it done. The consistency looks exactly the same. And the CND shellac was in pots. The "rack" showed it in bottles, but the manicurist used a pot.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
Thanks, Tupelo. This is good to know.