News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: CND Shellac  (Read 12710 times)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Re: CND Shellac
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
I had the CND Shellac today in "Red Baroness," a real color departure for me. It's a deep, slightly blackened red with golden undertones. They were out of the pale shades :)

http://www.cnd.com/Products/Color/shellac-colors.aspx

My Opi shellac held up perfectly for 2 weeks, but I could clearly see a crescent of new growth at the base of my nails. My technician said today that the Opi shellac is a little more drying to the nails than the CND, so I opted for CND. She also said that on average her CND manicure customers are booking appointments 3 weeks apart. She recommended this, but I opted for the 2 weeks. I'm a creature of habit.

The Opi gel removed easily. She wrapped my nails in acetone soaked cotton strips and covered them with foil. She removed them after my pedicure and gently lifted off the shellac with an orange stick. My nails appeared to be normal, and did not feel dry or brittle.

As long as this isn't harmful, I can't imagine not doing it every 2 weeks. It wears like iron.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
Wow!  Way to step clear out of your (our) comfort zone, Tupelo!  I bet that looks gorgeous on you.  Now you have minimal makeup and ultra-glam nails!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 06:53:02 AM »
That is SUCH a pretty color, T.  Does anyone know...can the CND be done on stubby tips like mine? or do you have to have 'real' nails?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »
That is SUCH a pretty color, T.  Does anyone know...can the CND be done on stubby tips like mine? or do you have to have 'real' nails?
It can be done on any length of nail...(happy to enable!)
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 07:08:10 AM »
It can be done on any length of nail...(happy to enable!)
Thanks, barb!  :lol:
Now I just have to find a nail salon that has CND.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 07:10:17 AM »
There is a salon locator on the CND website:
http://www.cnd.com/Locate/Shellac-Find-A-Salon.aspx
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 07:20:38 AM »
Oooooh, you're good at this, Barb!

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:52 AM »
Oooooh, you're good at this, Barb!
Lots of practice. :grin:

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 08:24:59 AM »
Interesting, Tupelo. While my hand was under the UV lamp, I was thinking "is this going to give me a sunburn?" The skin cancer connection did not click, though. I'll have to research this further and check with my dermatologist.

My drying time is 45 seconds for base coat and 30 seconds for the polish.  To me, it is not a cause for concern but I'd be interested in hearing if there is any..

On another note, I am disappointed in the Shellac application in FL. In NH, my tech used nothing but the best products (all by Creative) and took a class in preparation and application.  In FL, there was no traning and they do not use quality products...not even good enough acetone to get the Shellas off..she filed it off..I was so mad.  I loved this stuff but I'll have to go back to polish..oh well.. :(

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
Interestingly, my drying time was two minutes for each coat. I wasn't able to make it to my last appointment so I don't have shellac on right now. Hence my nails are chipped and look pretty awful. I'll have to polish them tonight.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »
Yay! I just checked the CND web site.  Seems like a CND salon has opened right near me.  Since my nails are short & ragged, I'm going to try to grow them a little before I go.  I hope I can do it! They have a grand opening coupon until 1/31.  Full set, CND Shellac $30.  Is that a good price?  Gonna treat myself.  :)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Yay! I just checked the CND web site.  Seems like a CND salon has opened right near me.  Since my nails are short & ragged, I'm going to try to grow them a little before I go.  I hope I can do it! They have a grand opening coupon until 1/31.  Full set, CND Shellac $30.  Is that a good price?  Gonna treat myself.  :)
$30 is a very good price! I pay $28 but the first place I went charged $42. It helps if your nails are at least out to your fingertips since they polish under the tip to "seal" the color.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
I'm still trying to grow my nails some before making this appointment.  They are growing, but very slowly. 
I mentioned the CND to a friend and she asked me if this is the nail treatment that "hurts".  I said I don't know??!!   :eek:

I think I would've heard it mentioned here if it did though!

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:48 PM »
There is no pain with CND Shellac. It goes on like nail polish and is cured with a UV light. I don't know of a painful nail procedure, other than nail removal by slamming your finger in a door! :grin:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »
What in the world could she have been talking about?  Must be one of those urban legends!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce