News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Finally, I can stop sitting on my hands!  (Read 3574 times)

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
Finally, I can stop sitting on my hands!
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »
Beauties- it's been many weeks since I gave myself a mani, and my nails were in pretty sorry shape.  Monday night I finally prettied them up so I wanted to share.  The polish is OPI 25 Colorful Years, and it looks dramatic to me because I've been using light, summery shades since about March.  I am SO ready for Autumn it ain't even funny...
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.
~Raymond Chandler~

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Finally, I can stop sitting on my hands!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
So pretty, girlie-girl!  How do you keep your nails this nice when you use your hands all day long?  I used to have longer nails, but have long been keeping them short because of splitting, and natural colors because of chipping.

I admire your fingertips!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Kelly

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
Wow, what a gorgeous manicure and gorgeous color!

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »
Your tips are beautiful, cc. I'm ready for fall colors, too. I think Chanel Paradoxal is next!
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
Your nails look like they're very strong..the sure are beautiful..I love that color, too..you do a great job with them...

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »
Oh, what a gorgeous color, cc. It suits you. Yes, how to do keep them soo nice. I put some polish Monday and I have chips ahoy!

Yes, I can't wait for fall.   :bananagirl:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »
 :lol: @ chips ahoy!
Thank you for the compliments, ladies.  I use 2 coats of polish and Out The Door top coat, and it will be good for about a week and a half.  Sometimes I'll slap on another layer of topcoat a few days post-mani.
Gracie, you're right.  Hee-hee, just today my coworker was a little taken aback as I sliced open the packing tape on a box with my thumbnail while she was poking around in her desk looking for scissors. They rarely break so I have to cut & file them. 
I was at the back of the line when God was handing out Stunning Physical Traits  :P  but I was blessed with "good" nails.  Makinalist, the worst injury I have to fear at work is the dreaded folder cut.  Yowza, those things can be like knives! 
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.
~Raymond Chandler~

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I was at the back of the line when God was handing out Stunning Physical Traits  :P 
I was the one tapping you on shoulder and asking if that was the line for dessert, remember….

Makinalist, the worst injury I have to fear at work is the dreaded folder cut.  Yowza, those things can be like knives! 
The last time these folders cut into me, I cried. I really did. The girls were so worried until I told them what happened. Then, all of sudden I was alone. Two of them did throw a couple of bandages at me. I’m sorry but those things are nasty. But, they felt bad and they bought be my afternoon coffee.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:22:22 AM »
You have beautiful nails, CC. and do a beautiful manicure.  I wish I had the patience - mine are scraggly and chewed - like a little kid!

I was at the back of the line when God was handing out Stunning Physical Traits  :P 
I was the one tapping you on shoulder and asking if that was the line for dessert, remember….

Oh SusieQ, SO funny
 :rofl:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
I use 2 coats of polish and Out The Door top coat, and it will be good for about a week and a half. 

Impressive! I found that in order to make my manicures last, I need to keep my nails short, as short as Sabrina's on The Beauty Look Book.

You're lucky to have such strong nails. My toenails are like that. My manicures keep without chipping until the polish starts to grow out from the nailbed roots, but my fingies have always been on the weak side.

graciez

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:00:02 AM »
ZZP....Those Chanel nail colors are so beautiful.  I saw the fall collection of OPI and everything seemed dark to me.  My nails are weak too and that's why I love the Shellac. The polish colors are so limited though.

I know you aren't a QVC shopper but they had a demo on a gel that you put on nails after polishing and the product is a great seller and pretty highly rated.  I was thinking of trying that out bec. when I move to FL I have a hard time finding a good nail tech.  In NH, I've gone to the same tech for like 20 years and she is fantastic, a perfectionist.

Kelly

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:17:41 AM »
I once had a pedicurist perfectionist in Chestnut Hill. She suddenly left the salon, and I was so upset, especially after realizing what a gift I had had. She shaped each toenail and my pedicures were perfection. Ever nail tech I have gone to since, just slices the nail straight across, buffs straight across (usually while meditating into space, rather than looking down at my nail), and that's pretty much it.

I do my own nails now. It saves money and I find it relaxing because I am forced to still for about an hour. I don't mind. :)

I might look into the gels one day, especially if I need a manicure to look nice for a period of time. I'll check out the demo later, but I have to scoot now or I will be late!

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »

Makinalist, the worst injury I have to fear at work is the dreaded folder cut.  Yowza, those things can be like knives! 
The last time these folders cut into me, I cried. I really did. The girls were so worried until I told them what happened. Then, all of sudden I was alone. Two of them did throw a couple of bandages at me. I’m sorry but those things are nasty. But, they felt bad and they bought be my afternoon coffee.

SusieQ, that really made me laugh!  I'm sorry, but even your folder-cut tale is funny- although I can totally relate.  I kiss your boo-boo!  :hug:

Thanks for the kind words, girls.  *warm fuzzies*
~Raymond Chandler~

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:26:38 PM »

SusieQ, that really made me laugh!  I'm sorry, but even your folder-cut tale is funny- although I can totally relate.  I kiss your boo-boo!  :hug:

Thanks for the kind words, girls.  *warm fuzzies*
CC, I need  another kiss for another boo-boo. Yesterday, DH was supposed to be BBQ salmon but he disappeared somewhere  and I got a nasty burn on my middle finger. It's out of commission. Now, when someone cuts me off, I give them the finger ring. It just doesn't have the same affect. Just kidding. I don't give anyone the finger. I pray for them instead. :)

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
Aw, poor SusieQ.   :-*  LOL I'm sure you are not in the habit of flipping the bird (except mebbe in your own imagination!) :evil:
As long as you can still eat dessert, it'll be okay.
~Raymond Chandler~

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 11:14:39 PM »
Aw, poor SusieQ.   :-*  LOL I'm sure you are not in the habit of flipping the bird (except mebbe in your own imagination!) :evil:
As long as you can still eat dessert, it'll be okay.
Yup!  Pumpkin pie!

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
Gorgeous nails.  I, alas, have resumed biting mine after having stopped for 10 years.  It is a shameful, ugly habit.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 05:52:34 PM »
Wowza! What a glorious, all out femme look, Nancy!
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.