News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: favourite cookery books  (Read 4774 times)

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
Re: favourite cookery books
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:34 PM »
If I had to get rid of all but three

That's just cruel! I could ditch 95% of my makeup and skincare, and it would probably be a relief.
But eliminating cookbooks???? That's eliminating inspiration and possibility.  But it's a great question.

I haven't counted, but I have at least 7 (maybe 8) shelves full of cooking books.

Favorites change, but I would buy anything by:

Eric Tucker (amazing vegan chef in SF at Millennium, one of the most creative chefs around.  I recently went to one of his cooking classes, strong-armed into going by the NON-VEG husbands of two friends who both love that restaurant. More than half the people in the class were not vegetarian too.  The Millennium Cookbook and The Artful Vegan create an unbelievable haute vegan cuisine.  I make these recipes for holidays, they are knock you over stunning.  Making me hungry, just to think of that place...)

Marcella Hazan, for Italian.  I only do her vegetarian recipes, but her precision and instruction are completely inspiring.

Martha Rose Shulman for Mediterranean. I've always been extremely happy with the results.

I read cookbooks, just for fun.  I think nothing brings as much long-term joy as a good cookbook!

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:02 PM »

I read cookbooks, just for fun.  I think nothing brings as much long-term joy as a good cookbook!

Yes, it's amazing how inspiring they can be.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »
DDG has 7 shelves ... I am not alone!

Marcela Hazan is a must.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Kelly

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »
Marcela Hazan is a must.

:ditto:

Best risotto I ever made.

And grilled polenta with braised greens, caramelized onions, and crispy duck confit. :drool:

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
I've always heard great things about Marcela Hazan; I will have to check it out next time I'm browsing in the bookstore.  We have a couple of great stores dedicated just to cookbooks in our area, so I'm sure they have a good selection.  ZuZu, that duck confit with braised greens sounds fabulous!

Kelly

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
ZuZu, that duck confit with braised greens sounds fabulous!

Alas, it's not in the cookbook. I was so inspired I went to look up the recipe, but I was denied!

My memory is coming back, and I believe I made that meal based on a meal I had in a restaurant in Connecticut in the mid 90s, maybe Clinton Harbor? A pretty little seaside village. In any case, we had driven down from Bar Harbor and stayed at a B&B so we could see Bryan Ferry in Hartford or New Haven, can't remember. The restaurant was somewhere nearby.

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »
It MUST have been a great dish if you remember it from all those years ago!  BTW, I always loved Bryan Ferry.

Kelly

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »
He was totally sex on wheels that night. :D  It was a memorable weekend all around.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
I have a library of cookbooks, over 200. But my bible is The Good Housekeeping Cookbook.  I think my copy was published in 1972. I learned everything about every day cooking from it, and when my kitchen was on fire in 1979, it's the only thing I grabbed in my flight for the exit. :) The edges of its pages are still smoke gray. Its pages are filled with my notes, because no one ever follows a recipe exactly, right?

It covers everything: what the various cuts of meat (all meats) look like. How to buy them. How much to buy. How to butcher, how to make everything from sausages to canapes for a wedding (or the wedding cake). If I could only have one cookbook, this would be it. I still refer to it every so often, and I'm a graduate of the NY Culinary Institute.

Lord knows what edition it's in now. It's an absolute compendium of food knowledge. I frequently give it as a bridal shower gift.
I got this at my shower in 1985, and I'd never part with it!  Though, the poor book itself has seen better days (there's a black ring from where I must've set it on the stove burner), I still refer to it often.

As a Culinary Institute grad, do you have a specialty?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
I have a library of cookbooks, over 200. But my bible is The Good Housekeeping Cookbook.  I think my copy was published in 1972. I learned everything about every day cooking from it, and when my kitchen was on fire in 1979, it's the only thing I grabbed in my flight for the exit. :) The edges of its pages are still smoke gray. Its pages are filled with my notes, because no one ever follows a recipe exactly, right?

It covers everything: what the various cuts of meat (all meats) look like. How to buy them. How much to buy. How to butcher, how to make everything from sausages to canapes for a wedding (or the wedding cake). If I could only have one cookbook, this would be it. I still refer to it every so often, and I'm a graduate of the NY Culinary Institute.

Lord knows what edition it's in now. It's an absolute compendium of food knowledge. I frequently give it as a bridal shower gift.
I got this at my shower in 1985, and I'd never part with it!  Though, the poor book itself has seen better days (there's a black ring from where I must've set it on the stove burner), I still refer to it often.

As a Culinary Institute grad, do you have a specialty?

I focused on professional culinary arts and classical French cuisine. I hated making pastry and desserts. My efforts were just sad looking. To this day, I buy desserts when I am serving them at home.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
I focused on professional culinary arts and classical French cuisine. I hated making pastry and desserts. My efforts were just sad looking. To this day, I buy desserts when I am serving them at home.
I am not a desserts person either, so I go for things like tiramisu, triffle etc, which you can put together with (good) shop- bought ingredients.I only do desserts for special occasions,anyway. I normally  have just  fruit. But i have mastered the art of making a shop-bought dessert look like something you have slaved over a hot stove to prepare... :wink:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:28:49 AM by Canie »

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian, though I do eat less meat than I was raised to eat, but if anyone is looking for vegetarian recipes, you might try the cookbooks by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette.  He's written several and they always stress seasonality and what he can grow or raise himself as the sole monk left at Our Lady of the Resurrection Monastery near Millbrook, New York (so, technically, he's a hermit now, as opposed to a monk).  Not all of the recipes are vegetarian, but a great many of them are.  For instance, in the introduction to Twelve Months of Monastery Soups, he mentions that of the 175 recipes in the book, about 75% are vegetarian and the rest can be easily adapted to become vegetarian (e.g. substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth).  He does, however, use alcohol--sometimes a surprising amount of alcohol--in some of the soups, if that's a concern.  Makes me wonder if he makes his own wine and beer too, as some monks do.

His cookbooks are available at the usual on-line bookstores and at Monastery Greetings - Religious and Spiritual Gifts from Abbeys, Convents, Monasteries, and Hermitages.  Last time I was looking there, at least one of them was on sale--half-price, I think.  From a Monastery Kitchen was a best-seller, so he's not unknown among cookbook authors

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
Hmm, monastic cooking.  That would definitely appear to be a niche market. :wink:

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
Hey, monks are really BIG on food! It's one of their sensual appetites they can satisfy without guilt (when they aren't fasting). They eat in silence, and savor every bite. And the recipes are worthy of archival status. I also love the seasonality of his approach to food prep.

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
I know; I was only teasing!  :wink: