News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: OPI Axxium gel nail polish  (Read 2658 times)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
OPI Axxium gel nail polish
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
I had my nails done with the OPI Axxium gel for comparison purposes. I want to see how it is compared to the CND Shellac. They go on the same, except that the OPI is a little thicker and is painted on from a jar as opposed to a standard nail polish bottle. Otherwise, the process is exactly the same.

I want to see how long it lasts and if it stays shiny. I went to a different (less expensive) salon, but I don't think that should make a difference. They still used a base coat, two coats of color and a top coat, with the UV curing in between. I'll report back in a couple of weeks!

Oh, and OPI has tons more colors available than CND, although I've read CND is coming out with something like 30 more shades.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Re: OPI Axxium gel nail polish
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
I have found that the OPI is a little more drying to my nails than the CND. Otherwise, the wear is exactly the same.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
Here is Day 4 of "You Don't Know Jacques".
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
That looks pretty darned good. I see zero fading on your nail tips. The color looks a bit matte, though. Is that just your webcam?

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
It must be the crappy cam. It's pretty shiny, although I think the CND Shellac was even shinier.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:28:03 AM »
Ooooh, that is really nice barb!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

DivaDebbi

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
Hi Barbr! Thanks for posting...dying to hear if it makes it to the two week mark.  My salon charges $45!!!  I can't justify the price. Keep us posted please! :wink:
Don't sweat the small stuff...really, don't. :)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
Hi Barbr! Thanks for posting...dying to hear if it makes it to the two week mark.  My salon charges $45!!!  I can't justify the price. Keep us posted please! :wink:
The first place I went charged $42. It was a hair salon with one manicurist. This is a nail salon and they only charged $28!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »
SO glad I read this topic. I live in the sticks and there is a brand new beauty salon in town that does hair, manicures, and pedicures. I bet they have good introductory prices so maybe I'll take my next Butter London color and check them out. I'll take a chance with my nails before my hair!

I obviously don't get manicures very often because even in the city I haven't seen $40+ prices. I sure hope living in the middle of nowhere has some perks to it!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
The Axxium barely made it two weeks. The tips were fine, but the shine had dimmed more than with CND Shellac. I'm going back to Shellac in conjunction with home manicures in between.