News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My 'extreme' manicure  (Read 1887 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
My 'extreme' manicure
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
Last summer, following a string of unexpected events, I caught my ring finger on the car door. Multi-tasking is a male conspiracy.
Being decorous and ladylike I went 'Oh dear, that was not nice'
Not really... what actually happened was: I did a good impression of a swirling dervish in the car park, while creating a blue cloud above me, by swearing in every single language I have ever learned,  zigzag-ed into the supermarket, grabbed hold of a bag of frozen peas and held it against my finger muttering 'I'm gonna faint, I'm gonna faint' until someone took pity on me and gave me a cup of tea with sugar, a wonderful panaceia for virtually every ailment of the body and soul.
DH told me I was going to lose my nail but I didn't. I have got a large black mark right in the middle of it and it  is getting on my nerves.
I normally do not wear nailpolish but I am thinking of covering it.
Any suggestions on nail polish other than Chanel Rouge Noir? or should I just let it grow?

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
Re: My 'extreme' manicure
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOuch!  Poor dear.   :pout:

I'd want to cover it.  You could probably use any opaque polish of any color.  After a couple of coats, your owie would disappear.  Pick a color that makes you happy, to hide such a painful reminder.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
milla, you are lucky (well maybe it didn't seem like that at the time) -- one of the nurses at work jammed her finger and had to have the nail stitched back in place. Fortunately for her, there was a hand surgeon working that day.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Though it probably did not feel that way, you are lucky. My mother lost the nail on her big toe (she dropped something really heavy on it), and the nail never grew back! She is so self conscious about her poor toe.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »
Use this as an excuse to go wild maybe a dark wine color or even purple or blueish shade. Go get a manicure if you can. OPI has many unique dark shades.

I lost the nail on my big toe as well, after stubbing it a time or two, or Three!
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:02:20 AM »
I gree with Swest .... I'd go for a wine!
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 03:01:06 AM »
I know I'm lucky... I thought I had chopped off the tip of my finger. I am going shopping today and I'll get a nice shade, then I'll report back.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »

:popcorn:
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Anita

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »
Oh you poor dear.  Use a color that makes you feel happy! 

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 08:18:19 AM »
I have done my nails in 'Black Cherry' by Rimmel. It looks very vampish but needs frequent top ups because it flakes easily. It doesnot quite disguise the black mark but it does a good job.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »
Oh, milla. I hope your ring finger is healing.  That color sounds lovely. I'll have to check it out.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Black Cherry sounds yummy lovely.   You might get to like vampy before your adventure is over, milla.