News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Conditioner-Washing  (Read 3602 times)

Kelly

Conditioner-Washing
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
Quote from: barbr on November 28, 2010, 07:29:43 PM
I also use a cleansing conditioner (mentioned under another topic.)

Quote from: Zuzu's Petals on November 28, 2010, 07:49:37 PM
Cleansing conditioner?  I missed that one!  What's it called?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:27:12 PM by Canie »

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
Cleansing conditioner? I missed that one. What's it called?
I use either WEN (QVC) or Hair One from Sally's.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »
Cleansing conditioner? I missed that one. What's it called?

And there's an excellent WEN dupe from an etsy seller here:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62186102/one-step-hair-cleanser-and-conditioner

But I really love shampooing with Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner. Doing this has cut my shampoo use in half. Less than $2 a bottle, too.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
I have read about people doing this conditioner cleansing, but somehow I don't think it is meant for fine hair.  Sorry, Zuzu.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:19 AM »
I have fine hair-- you just have to find the right products, like anything else. I can't do it exclusively-- my hair gets too limp-- but as I said above, I substitute 1/2 my shampoos with a conditioner wash.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
I have fine hair-- you just have to find the right products, like anything else.
I should have mentioned that I also have thin, straight hair to go with that fine.  Plus I don't color or perm it.  The only thing that fluffs it up a little is washing it!

How do you get styling products out each day?

hopflower

Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »
I have read about people doing this conditioner cleansing, but somehow I don't think it is meant for fine hair.

It isn't. Exactly. I have fine hair, too, and cannot use a cleansing conditioner it is left greasy and limp. Conditioners for fine hair need to be keratin- or protein-based and non-creamy.

A vinegar and water rinse will clear off all residue of cleaners, conditioners, oils, creams, or sprays. Or you can buy a clearing shampoo like Neutrogena's. Two tablespoons of vinegar to a quart of water as a final rinse works wonders and is not expensive. 

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
I have found that as I get older, I need creamier and heavier conditioners, even though my hair is fine and curly.

makinalist, I don't rinse out styling products on days I don't wash-- I don't use large quantities to begin with, i guess. But on days I conditioner wash, if I thoroughly massage my scalp with the Suave Coconut conditioner (using a palmful of the stuff) and let it sit a minute-- this cleans my hair as well as most shampoos and doesn't dry it out. There's something in this conditioner that works well for a lot of people, it's a favorite for conditioner-only washing over at the MUA Hair Board.
www.shopquotidienne.com

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
@Veuve, and for anyone else curious about conditioner-washing - this tends to work best on naturally curly hair that at least has some loose curls all the way up to really kinky-curly. I use the Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner myself, and it works great on my mixed texture, 2c-3a hair(according to curl classification that's popular over on naturallycurly.com. I do a modified "Curly Girl" routine which means that I conditioner-wash every few days, with a shampoo every couple of weeks or so. No matter what, I do follow up with a moisturizing conditioner that I leave in for 10 minutes or so before rinsing out(I don't use leave-ins after that though). Curly hair in general tends to need a lot of moisture, although if it is also very fine, it might need a good protein treatment from time to time especially if one colors(as I do). My hair cutter informed me not to overdo it with protein in my case as my hair is medium texture, although a lot of it, like enough for 3 people, as many cutters have said LOL! He said in this case for every 3 deep moisturizing treatment(which I do with a great DC from Sally Beauty Supply, usually once every 10 days)I only need one protein reconstructing treatment(another Sally Generic Value Product comes to the rescue here). So that protein treatment tends to happen once a month, usually just before coloring my hair. It has the added benefit of giving something for the color to hang onto, making it last longer. This is very good to know, especially in working with red shades the way I do.
      With grey hair, it does tend to be drier than pigmented hair, so good moisturizing conditioners really help.

hopflower

Re: Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:48:59 AM »
Yes, it does not work on my fine hair at all as previously stated. But my hair is straight.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
So I'm still curious - is this much different from using a 2-in-1 product (shampoo plus conditioner)?

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:19:45 PM »
So I'm still curious - is this much different from using a 2-in-1 product (shampoo plus conditioner)?
Yes, because the 2-in-1 still has a detergent in it that lathers.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
Oh.  Well, that makes sense, I guess.

Christine Hueber

• Delighted to be here!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »
I love the Alterna Moisturizing line and find the European philosophy of shampooing less often works well for my fine, long, colored/highlighted hair.
Enjoy,

Christine Hueber

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
If you just rinse with super-hot water and scrub scalp with fingers, it distributes your oils down the hair shaft--kind of like your own conditioner.  I have fine hair, but when I do this instead of washing for a few days, my hair actually looks thicker and has some wave.  You have to do the rinsing every day or hair will be Olive Oyl flat.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
I only wash my hair once a week in the winter months, usually on the weekend. It takes a long time to wash, condition, and rinse it because it's very long and fairly thick. I use shampoos and conditioners that are simple (in terms of ingredients) and cheap - because the simplest stuff is usually the cheapest. :) I use a shower comb to distribute the conditioner through my hair and leave it on 5 minutes or so as I complete my shower rituals.

I don't wash my hair until my roots feel oily. I don't use styling products (although I do use a little argan oil a couple of times a week).
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Kelly

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
Hoping to go longer between root touch-ups, I had been researching shampoos for color-treated hair when I stumbled across the sulfate issue--which can expedite color fading (especially with temporary dyes).

I have various sulfates/'cone-free shampoos hanging around (Alba, John Masters Organics, etc.), but I had even more conditioners and cream rinses--in particular a bottle of Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner, whose texture reminds me of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution. I previously used Giovanni to make henna glosses, so I started "washing" my hair Friday morning with it, the day after my dye job.

I am really happy with the results. My hair has always been fine, but I continually mourn the fact that I lost more than a third of my volume (st0op1d hormonze). Since I have so much less hair, I assumed co-washing would make it look flat and greasy, but I was wrong. I can feel volume at the roots, and it looks full, shiny, and even as swingy/bouncy as a child's!

Since the Giovanni is not depositing anything on the hair shaft, there is nothing to build up, but we'll see how it goes over time. Maybe because I am no longer stripping all the natural oils from my hair, I'll be able to co-poo it less often, but I might need to occasionally clarify.

Oh! And the best news is there has been NO noticeable hair loss the last few days in the shower. I'd gotten used to seeing a tiny wiglet circling the drain, but it has stopped.

Could conventional shampoo have been causing breakage/loss?  :eek:

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Same thing happens to me with the lack of hair loss---you still lose hair, it is just stuck together because of oil--when you wash it, the strands lose their coating of oil and you will see a ton in the drain.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:14 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a common problem? I don't have any noticeable hair in the drain after shampoonig.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.