News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Conditioner-Washing  (Read 3601 times)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Conditioner-Washing
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
I only wash my hair once a week in the winter months, usually on the weekend. It takes a long time to wash, condition, and rinse it because it's very long and fairly thick. I use shampoos and conditioners that are simple (in terms of ingredients) and cheap - because the simplest stuff is usually the cheapest. :) I use a shower comb to distribute the conditioner through my hair and leave it on 5 minutes or so as I complete my shower rituals.

I don't wash my hair until my roots feel oily. I don't use styling products (although I do use a little argan oil a couple of times a week).
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Kelly

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
Hoping to go longer between root touch-ups, I had been researching shampoos for color-treated hair when I stumbled across the sulfate issue--which can expedite color fading (especially with temporary dyes).

I have various sulfates/'cone-free shampoos hanging around (Alba, John Masters Organics, etc.), but I had even more conditioners and cream rinses--in particular a bottle of Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner, whose texture reminds me of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution. I previously used Giovanni to make henna glosses, so I started "washing" my hair Friday morning with it, the day after my dye job.

I am really happy with the results. My hair has always been fine, but I continually mourn the fact that I lost more than a third of my volume (st0op1d hormonze). Since I have so much less hair, I assumed co-washing would make it look flat and greasy, but I was wrong. I can feel volume at the roots, and it looks full, shiny, and even as swingy/bouncy as a child's!

Since the Giovanni is not depositing anything on the hair shaft, there is nothing to build up, but we'll see how it goes over time. Maybe because I am no longer stripping all the natural oils from my hair, I'll be able to co-poo it less often, but I might need to occasionally clarify.

Oh! And the best news is there has been NO noticeable hair loss the last few days in the shower. I'd gotten used to seeing a tiny wiglet circling the drain, but it has stopped.

Could conventional shampoo have been causing breakage/loss?  :eek:

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Same thing happens to me with the lack of hair loss---you still lose hair, it is just stuck together because of oil--when you wash it, the strands lose their coating of oil and you will see a ton in the drain.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:14 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a common problem? I don't have any noticeable hair in the drain after shampoonig.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.