News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: EASY potato side dish recipe?  (Read 1975 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
EASY potato side dish recipe?
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »
Hey everyone,
I am suddenly put in the position to have a dinner party this Sunday so that family members who cannot visit on the 25th can get together.

I'm having a smoked ham, honey baby carrots, broccoli quiche, homemade cranberry sauce, crescent rolls.  I'm looking for a really easy side potato dish.  I was hoping for some ideas.    Easy - because all prep will be done on the same day (I'm not preparing for this on Christmas!)  I went to my "go to" recipe web site (allrecipes.com), but am feeling too scattered to concentrate on the search.   I have too much left to do otherwise for Christmas!
Most of my family like simple dishes.

TIA!  :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

Re: EASY potato side dish recipe?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
I have made "Twice-Baked Potato Cups with Caramelized Shallots" the last several Christmases, mostly because everyone requests them. They are delicious! Extremely easy and can be made a day or so ahead. The only real labor involved is peeling and cutting the shallots to caramelize them, but I make DH do that part.

http://tinyurl.com/yfyaujm

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:13:16 PM »
Oh dear, I read that title as, easy potato salad recipe.  I was gonna say just go to the deli and buy your potato salad so you know it will be good.   :rollseyes:  sorry.

When we have ham, my clan wants (E)scalloped potatoes - and like cakes, the mixes do just as well as scratch.  I  pick up a couple of boxes of Betty Crocker scalloped potato mix or Eau Gratin potatoes.  Easy to make, bakes along with your meat and holds its own with all the other homemade goodies.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
I have made "Twice-Baked Potato Cups with Caramelized Shallots" the last several Christmases, mostly because everyone requests them. They are delicious! Extremely easy and can be made a day or so ahead. The only real labor involved is peeling and cutting the shallots to caramelize them, but I make DH do that part.

http://tinyurl.com/yfyaujm

Hey Zuzu, I will definitely make this if your DH can come and do his part.  :wink:

Oh dear, I read that title as, easy potato salad recipe.  I was gonna say just go to the deli and buy your potato salad so you know it will be good.   :rollseyes:  sorry.

When we have ham, my clan wants (E)scalloped potatoes - and like cakes, the mixes do just as well as scratch.  I  pick up a couple of boxes of Betty Crocker scalloped potato mix or Eau Gratin potatoes.  Easy to make, bakes along with your meat and holds its own with all the other homemade goodies.

That just might be a winner Poppyfields!
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »

My family LOVES the potatoes au gratin, especially with left over ham pieces mixed in with it. They practically lick the bowl clean!
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

hopflower

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
And there are potato pancakes; always delicious.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:53:40 PM »
This is too late for your meal, but it is quite a simple and good way with potatoes.
You need even sized potatoes, not too big, about the size of a large egg. Don't peel them: just cut a cross on each potato and boil them till they are almost done (some will get overcooked, it can't be helped). Drain them very well and put them in a bowl with some good olive oil and sea salt and give them a shake. Then put them in a pre-heated tray in a pre-heated oven, at 220C. Put some sprigs of rosemary on top. Roast until the skins are crisp. You don't even need to put them in the bowl with the olive oil, you can just put them directly on the tray-I line it with aluminium foil- and then drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes. You can also put some unpeeled garlic cloves if you like, I just use rosemary from the garden and sea salt. Very good with all types of meat and with fish too.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
That sounds yummy, Milla!  I can save it for another day.  :)