News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: easy peasy dessert  (Read 1982 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
easy peasy dessert
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:13:56 AM »
Any easy peasy dessert recipes for a New Year's Eve dinner? I'm not that keen on baking and I'd like to finish the meal with  something light and fluffy that can be 'assembled' rather than cooked.Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
I am probably having a salad starter and a lamb dish (either roast lamb with flageolet beans or lamb tagine) as a main course.

Kelly

Re: easy peasy dessert
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
Do you like dairy? My husband whips up very interesting desserts using just ricotta, usually with a single cookie (biscotti are quite nice, and we get storebought). If you want to indulge, full fat ricotta whips up the best, and it takes very little to satisfy a sweet tooth.

He plops some in a bowl and uses a wire whisk to beat it into a fluffy froth. What he adds to it ... the possibilities are endless, but it starts with a base of sweetener to taste (e.g., table sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, or even stevia/sucralose for those counting calories or watching insulin).

Then he blends in one of:

• Lemon oil and lemon rind, served with a lemon cooler cookie
  • Anise extract, served with a biscotti
  • Almond extract and toasted slivered almonds
  • A couple Tbs of canned pumpkin with pumpkin spice or allspice or clove
  • The best quality Dutch cocoa, topped with walnuts
  • Natural peanut butter, topped with chopped peanuts

... and so on. You can see where this is going. He thinks of all the wonderful flavors that would taste good inside a cannoli.

After his concoction is fully blended, he places a small scoop in a wide crystal goblet or champagne glass, puts that on a plate, adds a sprig of mint and a cookie, and voila.

So simple and tasty. And not even that fattening!

Also, one of my most favorite desserts (both at home and as a guest) has been sorbet, especially if the meal was heavy. After you have slaved over a gorgeous meal, there is no shame in serving guests a tangy, tart bowl of sorbet, especially if it is served in a beautiful glass. Give them a cookie with it, and no one will complain. Lemon sorbet after beef is so refreshing. We like raspberry, too. You could even make a raspberry coulis, drizzle it on a plate in a pretty patterh, place a scoop of lemon sorbet on top (use an ice cream scoop to make the prettiest shape), and stick a sprig of mint in the center. (Using large plates for small desserts looks more classy. :wink: )  Yum!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
What your DH does is a bit like a syllabub, which is exactly what I had in mind...
Sorbet is v. good, too-I absolutely luuuuuurve a sorbet. I want to keep things simple: I am having smoked trout salad for starters, the lamb will probably be served with couscous or saffron rice rather than flageolet beans. I have also been thinking of making something called a champagne jelly, but in the recipe there's an ingredient that  I have never used before-gelatine, in sheets, rather than powder-and I am a bit worried about messing it up...

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
Odd. I wonder if the gelatine in sheets gives the dessert a ripple effect.

I agree about not trying something totally new unless you can test drive it first.

Dinner sounds great! What time shall I arrive?

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
I saw a dessert on Oprah yesterday. The guests were two sisters who created Georgetown Cupcake in DC. The layered champagne cupcakes with champagne buttercream, chocolate ganache and champagne-soaked strawberries into champagne flutes. Kind of like individual parfaits or trifle.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
I saw a dessert on Oprah yesterday. The guests were two sisters who created Georgetown Cupcake in DC. The layered champagne cupcakes with champagne buttercream, chocolate ganache and champagne-soaked strawberries into champagne flutes. Kind of like individual parfaits or trifle.

And it was pink champagne! And the butter cream had champagne in it, too. So did the cupcakes! I about drowned myself drooling. :)  I think they said their recipe is on Oprah.com.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »

And it was pink champagne! And the butter cream had champagne in it, too. So did the cupcakes! I about drowned myself drooling. :)  I think they said their recipe is on Oprah.com.
I don't even like champagne, but that dessert was decadent enough for me to drool also.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:52:45 AM »
Dinner sounds great! What time shall I arrive?
I think we are going to start late. It's just going to be us two, another couple and my sister in law, so there's room for extra guests!!

Barbr, I don't like champagne either! I much prefer a really good chilled sauvignon (my favourite is New Zealand's Cloudy Bay) but that dessert sounds so light and elegant.
I think my sister in law is going to bring something-she is an excellent pastry cook and her pecan pie is legendary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:06:20 AM by Canie »

Kelly

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:58:09 AM »
I love, adore, squeal over champagne. It makes me happy.

Each year DH buys us a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for our anniversary, and on Christmas Eve, DB brings Dom. We drink it so infrequently that it's nice to splurge on the really good stuff.

Champagne makes me feel like I am drinking stars.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:26 PM »
Thank you for the reminder to pick up champagne. I love it too. And DH, who drinks one beer and that's it, loves champagne. Maybe we need 2 bottles. :D
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart