News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: E-reading  (Read 3621 times)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
E-reading
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »
I'm finding that I do not enjoy e-readiing even remotely as much as I enjoy reading a real book. :( The experience is very different, for me.

I feel like I'm reading an index card, backlit. I cannot flip back to a passage I want to refer to as easily as I can with a book. I can't leave it in the bathroom. :) Or take it to the beach. If I leave  it in the waiting room at the dentist's (as I have with many a book). I'm going to be a lot more upset.

• Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
Re: E-reading
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
I cannot argue with you, I resisted until DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas.  I love the cover illustrations, flipping pages back to check on a passage (or clue) and seeing the book lying by my chair to remind me it is waiting for me to pick it back up.

But - I surely enjoyed reading my Kindle in a hot bath this morning.  It is so light, thin and easy to hold up with one hand.  I don't have to squint at small or smeared print in paperbacks.  I was able to look up an unfamiliar word on the spot when I was curious about it.  I often tell myself I need to get the proper definition of a word, but never take the time to find the dictionary.  Now the dictionary is on the same device.  It will easily slip into my purse for impromptu use.  Finally, I got tons of titles that I want to read for free!

I feel we will get used to these just as we did our cell phones.  Is it sad to see books and magazines die away?  Deeply.  But there will be more titles easily available this way.  Progress marches on.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »
Can you get a Kindle wet?

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »

No! I am surprised Pops took it in the tub with her.  :eek:   Hot baths make me sleeeeepy. Plonk!

I also cannot argue with you, Tupelo. I wanted a kindle, mostly in theory, and then when DH started asking me about it, I began to backpeddle. I didn't think I would like using it, since I so love everything about books, from the weight to the smell of yellowing pages. I also assume it would be hard to keep flipping back to the picture of a map or family tree using a kindle, but like anything, I'll get faster at navigating. I d olike being able to search my library for a word of phrase, and it makes searching books so easy--especially for books that are not indexed. And since I can create notes and highlight, I am starting to get the happy fever.

My leather Kindle cover arrived today, and I have to say, it makes all the difference. Now I can read in any light and not keep DH awake. Since the light runs off the Kindle battery, there is nothing to replace. Here's the review that convinced me: http://www.amazon.com/review/R27V1SXQSI9M86/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003DZ165W&nodeID=172282&tag=&linkCode=

I've surprisingly run up against a fair bit of snobbery. At work, colleagues are looking down their nose at me because I didn't get an iPad, as if the Kindle were a lowbrow gift. Um, I didn't want an iPad. Not only are they notoriously hard to synch up with everything, I simply do not want to be that accessible via e-mail and the Internet for even one more minute than I already am. 

I have plenty of Apple/Mac at home, and I did not want yet another overpriced toy.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
I don't read it under water!   :tongue2:

I love soaking in a hot tub.  Since moving to Florida, the pleasure is only available when it becomes unseasonably cold.  When its hot, a quick shower is more appealing.

So I am expert in reading in the tub - books, magazines, papers.  I have not dropped anything yet.  So I had no fears in reading my Kindle there.  Much easier to hold than a paperback, actually.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
I don't read it under water!   :tongue2:

I love soaking in a hot tub.  Since moving to Florida, the pleasure is only available when it becomes unseasonably cold.  When its hot, a quick shower is more appealing.

So I am expert in reading in the tub - books, magazines, papers.  I have not dropped anything yet.  So I had no fears in reading my Kindle there.  Much easier to hold than a paperback, actually.

You are the bathing pro! I can't imagine taking a book or paper, much less an electronic gadget, into the bath with me. Candles and a glass of wine are about all I can manage. There should be a prize for bathers as skillful as you. I bet you get just as rested and relaxed as anyone, too.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
I'm finding that I do not enjoy e-readiing even remotely as much as I enjoy reading a real book. :( The experience is very different, for me.

I feel like I'm reading an index card, backlit. I cannot flip back to a passage I want to refer to as easily as I can with a book. I can't leave it in the bathroom. :) Or take it to the beach. If I leave  it in the waiting room at the dentist's (as I have with many a book). I'm going to be a lot more upset.

This is why I am afraid to buy one. When I was able to go to the beach I loved to go into the water --leave something like that in your beach tote and it would be gone.   If I did a lot of traveling on business it would be different I guess but I do not see myself buying one soon.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »

No! I am surprised Pops took it in the tub with her.  :eek:   Hot baths make me sleeeeepy. Plonk!

I also cannot argue with you, Tupelo. I wanted a kindle, mostly in theory, and then when DH started asking me about it, I began to backpeddle. I didn't think I would like using it, since I so love everything about books, from the weight to the smell of yellowing pages. I also assume it would be hard to keep flipping back to the picture of a map or family tree using a kindle, but like anything, I'll get faster at navigating. I d olike being able to search my library for a word of phrase, and it makes searching books so easy--especially for books that are not indexed. And since I can create notes and highlight, I am starting to get the happy fever.

My leather Kindle cover arrived today, and I have to say, it makes all the difference. Now I can read in any light and not keep DH awake. Since the light runs off the Kindle battery, there is nothing to replace. Here's the review that convinced me: http://www.amazon.com/review/R27V1SXQSI9M86/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003DZ165W&nodeID=172282&tag=&linkCode=

I've surprisingly run up against a fair bit of snobbery. At work, colleagues are looking down their nose at me because I didn't get an iPad, as if the Kindle were a lowbrow gift. Um, I didn't want an iPad. Not only are they notoriously hard to synch up with everything, I simply do not want to be that accessible via e-mail and the Internet for even one more minute than I already am. 

I have plenty of Apple/Mac at home, and I did not want yet another overpriced toy.

Dont feel bad Zula. I do not have a separate mp3 player either just the one on my cell phone. I just do not need more junk coming into my life or house.   I also decided that I do not need or want  a ''smart phone. I have no real use for it and I spend too much time on the 'net anyway here at home.  I really do not want to watch vids on my phone(though I am comfortable watching on my computer. I guess its because I have the option to maximize the screen size).    With these economic times you think people would cut others some slack for not giving in to more ''toys.''

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
I am loving the Nookcolor's features, I can check my e-mail and web shop. I can use my library card to borrow e-books from my county's entire library system, as well as local university libraries. After 2 weeks, apparently they just *poof* out of my Nook library. That kind of tickles me. We enjoy free municipal wi-fi both where we live and where we work, so our Nookcolors function just like an I-Pad. They run Android-2 apps, as well. So, they are great for on-the-go webbish things. Much nicer to use than my phone for that.

I enjoy reading the Times on the Nook, and I will probably subscribe to a couple of other periodicals. But, real books will always be my first choice for curling up with. I will continue to buy and enjoy actual books, and love browsing for hours in B&N for them! But, while there, I can use the Nook to preview them for an hour, lol.

For travel, though, this is the bee's knees. And I won't be taking it into the tub with me. :)  I researched this a bit - just getting your screen good and "misted" can wreck your Kindle. Google "can I get my Kindle wet." I figure the same is true for the Nook.

Kelly

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
I also decided that I do not need or want  a ''smart phone. I have no real use for it and I spend too much time on the 'net anyway here at home.  I really do not want to watch vids on my phone(though I am comfortable watching on my computer. I guess its because I have the option to maximize the screen size).    With these economic times you think people would cut others some slack for not giving in to more ''toys.''

I don't want a smart phone, either, but soon it will be a necessity. I have noticed in the last few issues of This Old House (yes, I have other loves besides makeup), an article or callout will say, "Scan with your Smart Phone for more info." Well pooey! I bet more than half of their readers don't own no steenkin' smart phone.  

BTW, I took my kindle out on the deck this morning, and there was no glare or eyestrain. It was pretty much like reading black text on a white page. So it should be OK to read at the beach, as well, but I am not sure I'd want to have it around sand.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
I am loving the Nookcolor's features, I can check my e-mail and web shop. I can use my library card to borrow e-books from my county's entire library system, as well as local university libraries. After 2 weeks, apparently they just *poof* out of my Nook library. That kind of tickles me. We enjoy free municipal wi-fi both where we live and where we work, so our Nookcolors function just like an I-Pad. They run Android-2 apps, as well. So, they are great for on-the-go webbish things. Much nicer to use than my phone for that.

Well thats interesting. I would still hold out for  deal. Do you have to have some kind of data plan to go w/that like a phone (#2 I am going back to ''dumb phones") or can you just worK with WIFI?
If not, who needs a smart phone if you have that?

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »
Well thats interesting. I would still hold out for  deal. Do you have to have some kind of data plan to go w/that like a phone (#2 I am going back to ''dumb phones") or can you just worK with WIFI?

No data plan necessary, but check your local free wi-fi access. I live in Delaware County and work in center city Philadelphia. When we are out and about, our Nookcolors search for wi-fi access and we always connect to the local municial unsecured, free wi-fi services.

At home we have our own wireless network. If we travel outside of major metropolitan areas, I'm not sure that we would have wi-fi access for the Nooks. Although, I have to say that even in the little bed and breakfast places we travel to, there is usually free wi-fi.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
Well, the NookColor that i got DS for Christmas has not been touched since Saturday.  So, I'm going to take it and use it.  See if he even notices. I thought I'd hit on a really good (not to mention expensive!) gift for him, but I guess not.   :puzzled:

I'm trying to get used to the tiny print when I go to the Web.  I have to get the hang of "zooming in" on this thing.

:beercheer:  {{just adding this here 'cuz I like it}}
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 04:39:35 PM »
Hahaha!  On the web, scroll all the way down to the bottom and hit the "+" sign as many times as you need to make it readable.

I recommend, too, that you download Nook for PC from B&N's site. When you surf from that app, you can hit the "synch" button (the horseshoe icon) and it synchs immediately to your Nook (make sure your Nook's turned on). I like this PC app for Nook a lot. It's so much easier to just use my laptop keyboard instead of the pop-up qwerty touch keyboard on the Nook. Or trying to text it in from my cell phone (hate that).

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »
Well thats interesting. I would still hold out for  deal. Do you have to have some kind of data plan to go w/that like a phone (#2 I am going back to ''dumb phones") or can you just worK with WIFI?

No data plan necessary, but check your local free wi-fi access. I live in Delaware County and work in center city Philadelphia. When we are out and about, our Nookcolors search for wi-fi access and we always connect to the local municial unsecured, free wi-fi services.

At home we have our own wireless network. If we travel outside of major metropolitan areas, I'm not sure that we would have wi-fi access for the Nooks. Although, I have to say that even in the little bed and breakfast places we travel to, there is usually free wi-fi.

Hey, T!  I live in Delaware County and work in Center City. 
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.