News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Home Decorating Help?  (Read 3271 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Home Decorating Help?
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
I'm thinking of making a change with my window treatments in my family room.  Actually I'd like to change more, but will start small with just the curtains.

I want to keep the country feel - nothing too formal.  And, I'd like to keep the wooden blinds.  Should I put something above the transom windows instead of below?   

This room opens to my kitchen too, so I guess that's another consideration.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:16:39 AM by ILuvLucy »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

Re: Home Decorating Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »
What a great room! So warm and inviting.

It looks like you have relatively high ceilings. What about hanging a curtain rod well above the top of the window and letting the fabric hang to the floor (not crumpled on the floor, that doesn't work with pets), but just above--probably 94" curtains. You could hang sheer linen or voile curtains for spring/summer (Pooty Barn usually has great ones) and something heavier for winter, like lined linen or velvet.

Have you ever looked at Country Curtains? They have some pretty nice stuff, including insulated tab curtains, which have a country feel.

I can't tell because of the valance -- those are hiding transom windows? If so, you should let them free! Those valances are too small for the windows.

Seriously, on windows that gorgeous, I'd skip curtains altogether and install shutters that come up to the sash. You'd have to remove the wood blinds, but I think you'd like the effect because you'd get complete privacy and let in maximum light. Shutters also scream country. No one walking outside can see anything but maybe the crown of your head when the shutters are closed. You could get traditional or plantation shutters, depending on your preference. Plantation goes better in larger rooms and looks so elegant.

Yep, I'd nix the curtains.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
I like Zuzu's first idea -- I think the valences you have currently break up the windows and I'd like to see them open more. You could go without curtains since you have blinds, but you would lose some of that country feel you are looking for. You are lucky to have high ceilings. I've recently hung my curtains in my family room at the ceiling level since we only have 8 ft ceilings and it definitely makes the ceiling look higher than with the rod at the top of the window.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »

I can't tell because of the valance -- those are hiding transom windows? If so, you should let them free! Those valances are too small for the windows.

I guess I wasn't thinking when I posted the photo.  In my mind, I know what's up there - LOL.  Yes, the little portion of window above the valance is a transom.  Also, the blinds are not on the transom part.

Yep, I'd nix the curtains.

The room is very large, and very high ceilings.  And with the wood floor, I feel like I really want some kind of curtains to soften it a little.   Maybe I can find a better photo ....
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »
Hi Lucy.  Have you decided what you want to do?

This is late, I know, but just by looking at your photo, and from hearing that your ceilings are high, I would put the valance above the transoms this time for a new look.  I feel this would pull the eye up higher to accentuate your ceilings.

Bamboo and wooden blinds are hot now, so I'd leave them.  Also hot right now is 'dummy panels' (stationary, not closing) outlining the windows mounted just below the ceiling mounding (if you have it) to show off the height of the room and soften the edges.  Often these are neutral linen or toned or matched to the wall to softly add texture.  If one uses a pattern or bright color they would become a feature of the room.

I could see you matching your drapes to the neutral and bringing it onto the reddish fireplace wall too, OR the opposite; bringing the reddish drape onto the window wall.    That would tie the two paint colors together by strongly reinforcing them around the room.

You have such a warm tasteful room already - no wonder its hard to think of something different just to refresh it.   

We want an update. :popcorn:
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »

We want an update. :popcorn:
And, pictures, please.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
I haven't done anything yet.  I move verrrrryy slowly with this kind of thing. usually because I either I don't want to make a mistake, or because I just don't know what to do!

I'm posting another photo where you can see the room better (including the ceiling).  And, without the Christmas tree!  This is looking from the kitchen:

Thanks for all your thoughts.  :)

*PS - I hate everything about the wall on the left.  There's 2 shelving units in a light pine on either side of a keyboard (which we hardly use becuase we have a real piano).  Above the keyboard is a pretty wall hanging though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:13:22 AM by ILuvLucy »

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
Honestly, I would simply remove the valences. Your room is beautiful and warm.
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
Honestly, I would simply remove the valences.

That is exactly what I would do, as well.

I can't really see the wall on the left, but it looks like there's an unfinished bookcase there. You might consider painting the bookcase in the same shade as the wall paint (the one it leans against) so it blends into the room better and looks less busy. If you actually store books there (and you are using latex paint), you'll want to add a layer of varnish to the shelf surface after the paint dries or the books will stick, even if you let it cure the required 2+ weeks.

Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
OK, here's another thought. I can't tell if the room is big enough, but could you:

1. Move the sofa back a good foot, maybe more.
2. Take the two armchairs and flank the fireplace.

In that way, you create a cozier space for conversation.

I hope the configuration below is somewhat explanatory! The 5 Xs are the sofa, the 3 Xs are the coffee table, the single Xs are the armchairs, and the lines represent the fireplace. You'd have the armchairs angled toward the coffee table.

X       X  |
X   X      |
X   X      |
X   X      |
X       X  |

Sorry! You weren't really asking for furniture rearrangement ideas. :lol:

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:06:06 PM »
Lately I have been seeing and liking bookcases with painted insides in a contrasting, strong color.  You could paint the piece the same or slightly darker than the wall, then paint the insides the red from the fireplace wall.  White 'object d' art' or creamwear would look fab against the red.  Just sayin'.  
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Kelly

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
Lately I have been seeing and liking bookcases with painted insides in a contrasting, strong color.  You could paint the piece the same or slightly darker than the wall, then paint the insides the red from the fireplace wall.  White 'object d' art' or creamwear would look fab against the red.  Just sayin'.  

Yes! That would look great. Of course it never works in my bookcases, which are crammed to within an inch of its life with reading materials.

I especially love when the insides use beadboard. But I am a sucker for a beach cottage at heart. <sigh>

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
Its so much fun telling other people to be bold with their rooms.   :grin:

My rooms are quite light, quiet and neutral.  Such a change for me, but it seems appropriate for this sub-tropical climate.  Its so hot and vibrant outside I'm now liking peachy creams, white and touches of silvery blue.    When I saw nothing but white outside half the year, I wanted COLOR inside.

I am going to try lining my new china hutch with some glam metallic wrapping paper to make my white with tiny pale blue florals china pop.  Not sure what color to bring in, so using papers will be low commitment and cheap glamor.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
This is awsome! What better to do on such a horrible day.  :)  Free decorating advice!

If you don't mind taking a look ----but please ignore the mess.  It seems like Lily must get herself into every photo as well.
Here are the other two sides of the room.  The one wall I hate, and you can see that the other one is only a partial wall looking into the kitchen.  I love the idea of flanking the fireplace with the chairs, but now that I've shown you that area of the room, you can see that's where the tv is.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:44 AM by ILuvLucy »

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
I have two comments/questions:
1. What mess?
2. Lily is darling.
 :wink:

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
Love your arched doorway.

Now that I have a peek of your kitchen, I'd paint the shelves you hate white like the kitchen cabinets, then a bright interior color like the red.   :D  I need to look at all the pics again to visualize your floor space. 

I'm wondering about switching the TV with the bookcases, removing the keyboard and putting the couch on one side of the fireplace, back towards the windows and the 2 chairs on the other side of the fireplace, facing the couch.  Then the fire would be one one end of the seating, and the TV on the other end.  That would be a fresh arrangement for you.

Going to look at pics again...

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
I have two comments/questions:
1. What mess?
2. Lily is darling.
 :wink:

Yes, what mess. DS loves to have all his toys all over the family room. I put the toys away and the next day, the toys are out again. I finallyl gave up.  He can't be five forever.  And, Lily is too cute not to be included in the pics.

dwightantoine

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
When in doubt, go high and wide- it’ll make your ceilings feel taller, your room feel brighter, and your windows look HUGE!

We believe that curtains and blinds can make for the biggest change in a room next to paint. They’re hugely important for a major makeover, and can add height, drama, breezy ambiance, softness, and even a punch of color to any space- and we definitely encourage everyone to give them a spin! We’re generally not big fans of valances, but we love the floor length curtain and blind combination and we always hang them “high and wide” as we say so often.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 12:10:37 AM »
 :welcome: dwightantoine! So glad you found us!  See you around.  :wink:

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice Dwightantoine.  Going back to my original question for the family room windows:
Here is a photo of another window in my house.  Do you think something like this would look good in the family room?  I know some of you have suggested to just have the wood blinds, but I really want more - something with fabric.  :)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:25 AM by ILuvLucy »

Kelly

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
I know this won't answer your question about the family room, but I wanted to comment on the dining room window. The ratio of curtain to window is out of proportion, where the the fabric width is too thin and does not support the vast expanse of that gorgeous window. I also do not care for the look of a piece of fabric transecting the window--it detracts from the beauty of the window's arch.

If it were in my house (and my inclination was to hang a curtain on it :wink: ), I would install the rod above the arch and widen it by at least two feet on either side; then I would buy extremely wide curtains in a heavy lined velvet for winter and a light muslin or linen for summer. I'd move that plant out of the way and replace it with a torchiere lamp (but only if my ceilings were in pristine shape), and I would remove the wall art from the right. That window is art in and of itself and shouldn't have to compete with other items. Plus that wall art and plant drag the eye down and away from the beautiful arch atop the window. But I wouldn't really choose this design option because I would never want to cover up/detract from the window arch.

Another option is to hang pleated (accordion) shades that open from the top. (In other words, instead of pulling a string that pulls the shades up, you pull a string that lowers the shade from the top. The shades would be installed halfway--cafe curtain height, though you could also go right up to the arch. Pleated shades are made of fabric (often linen or special paper, sometimes silk) and are available in many colors. I had such shades in my dining room in Bar Harbor, and they managed to look contemporary and traditional at the same time. They filtered light, provided privacy, and looked gorgeous, all the while letting light and sun in through the top.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
Thanks, Zuzu.  I know this window could use a change, but I can't work on that right now.  That one is not my dining room, it's my foyer/entry way.  It's in a really difficult spot to work on.  I know you couldn't tell from the first photo -  I'll show you with a new picture.    I really appreciate your input!   :)  (When we first moved into our house, I said I wasn't going to put anything around or on that wall/window.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:11 AM by ILuvLucy »

Kelly

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
It's in a really difficult spot to work on.  I know you couldn't tell from the first photo

I wondered about that? I thought you must have been lying on the floor to take that picture because the chandelier seemed to be lower than the window!

OK, then in answer to your original question, I don't think putting fabric across those lovely windows is the trick. I need to think on it more, maybe look through some window images online. I agree dwightantoine about hanging 'em high and wide.

But since a picture is worth a blah blah blah, I'll see if I can wrangle some up. :D

Giddyup. I mean carry on.