News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Home Decorating Help?  (Read 3273 times)

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
Re: Home Decorating Help?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
Love your arched doorway.

Now that I have a peek of your kitchen, I'd paint the shelves you hate white like the kitchen cabinets, then a bright interior color like the red.   :D  I need to look at all the pics again to visualize your floor space. 

I'm wondering about switching the TV with the bookcases, removing the keyboard and putting the couch on one side of the fireplace, back towards the windows and the 2 chairs on the other side of the fireplace, facing the couch.  Then the fire would be one one end of the seating, and the TV on the other end.  That would be a fresh arrangement for you.

Going to look at pics again...
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
I have two comments/questions:
1. What mess?
2. Lily is darling.
 :wink:

Yes, what mess. DS loves to have all his toys all over the family room. I put the toys away and the next day, the toys are out again. I finallyl gave up.  He can't be five forever.  And, Lily is too cute not to be included in the pics.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

dwightantoine

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
When in doubt, go high and wide- it’ll make your ceilings feel taller, your room feel brighter, and your windows look HUGE!

We believe that curtains and blinds can make for the biggest change in a room next to paint. They’re hugely important for a major makeover, and can add height, drama, breezy ambiance, softness, and even a punch of color to any space- and we definitely encourage everyone to give them a spin! We’re generally not big fans of valances, but we love the floor length curtain and blind combination and we always hang them “high and wide” as we say so often.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 12:10:37 AM »
 :welcome: dwightantoine! So glad you found us!  See you around.  :wink:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice Dwightantoine.  Going back to my original question for the family room windows:
Here is a photo of another window in my house.  Do you think something like this would look good in the family room?  I know some of you have suggested to just have the wood blinds, but I really want more - something with fabric.  :)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:25 AM by ILuvLucy »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »
I know this won't answer your question about the family room, but I wanted to comment on the dining room window. The ratio of curtain to window is out of proportion, where the the fabric width is too thin and does not support the vast expanse of that gorgeous window. I also do not care for the look of a piece of fabric transecting the window--it detracts from the beauty of the window's arch.

If it were in my house (and my inclination was to hang a curtain on it :wink: ), I would install the rod above the arch and widen it by at least two feet on either side; then I would buy extremely wide curtains in a heavy lined velvet for winter and a light muslin or linen for summer. I'd move that plant out of the way and replace it with a torchiere lamp (but only if my ceilings were in pristine shape), and I would remove the wall art from the right. That window is art in and of itself and shouldn't have to compete with other items. Plus that wall art and plant drag the eye down and away from the beautiful arch atop the window. But I wouldn't really choose this design option because I would never want to cover up/detract from the window arch.

Another option is to hang pleated (accordion) shades that open from the top. (In other words, instead of pulling a string that pulls the shades up, you pull a string that lowers the shade from the top. The shades would be installed halfway--cafe curtain height, though you could also go right up to the arch. Pleated shades are made of fabric (often linen or special paper, sometimes silk) and are available in many colors. I had such shades in my dining room in Bar Harbor, and they managed to look contemporary and traditional at the same time. They filtered light, provided privacy, and looked gorgeous, all the while letting light and sun in through the top.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
Thanks, Zuzu.  I know this window could use a change, but I can't work on that right now.  That one is not my dining room, it's my foyer/entry way.  It's in a really difficult spot to work on.  I know you couldn't tell from the first photo -  I'll show you with a new picture.    I really appreciate your input!   :)  (When we first moved into our house, I said I wasn't going to put anything around or on that wall/window.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:11 AM by ILuvLucy »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
It's in a really difficult spot to work on.  I know you couldn't tell from the first photo

I wondered about that? I thought you must have been lying on the floor to take that picture because the chandelier seemed to be lower than the window!

OK, then in answer to your original question, I don't think putting fabric across those lovely windows is the trick. I need to think on it more, maybe look through some window images online. I agree dwightantoine about hanging 'em high and wide.

But since a picture is worth a blah blah blah, I'll see if I can wrangle some up. :D

Giddyup. I mean carry on.