News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Guitarist's nails  (Read 4611 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Guitarist's nails
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
The nails on my left hand must be very short while the nails on my right hand need some length to play the guitar. I love polish but it seems to emphasize the difference between my nail lengths. I also have a lot of color in my skin so the really pale colors make me look dead. Am I just stuck with keeping clear coats on?

Or does this qualify as a new fashion statement? Is this something you would just go your own way and do as you pleased? Or would you see this as important enough to be conservative? I'm torn.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Guitarist's nails
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
I always think you should do what makes you happy.  I am so disgusted with nail polish these days that I am considering going back to just buffing them until they shine and letting it go at that.

For you, I would say try to shape them the same way and polish your little heart out. ♥♥♥
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:56 AM »
Most *definitely* make it your fashion statement.  It may come up in a conversation and you can say why :-)
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
Can nail polish stand up to guitar picking/strumming?

I agree that you should shape your nails the way you want and wear whatever nail polish color you want. I am wondering if anyone but you would notice the difference.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »
I studied classical guitar for 20 years, and I had "those" nails and those callused fingertips. No one ever noticed. I did not grow my right hand nails very long, though. Just long enough to pluck the strings. About 1/8" past the tips of the fingers is all you need to get that ringing tone.

I never wore intense nail colors until recently. But I'd say go for it!
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
DH prefers to keep his short and unpolished for guitary playing. :tongue:

Seriously, though, I doubt anyone but you would even notice the difference unless the nails on your right hand were like talons (obviously not the case or you wouldn't be able to play guitar or anything else.)
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I am jealous of all your guitarists. I wish I had learned, especially classical guitar, which I am listening to now on the iPod.

In fact, my big job today is to tackle the office/sitting room, which has turned into a war zone. Somewhere under the piles is a piano. This year, I shall start making music again.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
I find the difference quite noticeable with deep or bright colors.

The nails on my left hand are as short as I can keep them without getting into the quick.

On my right hand my thumb nail is a little longer than my other fingernails except my pinkie which is quite long for Flamenco-type strums.

Oh, and I'm a classical and folk guitarist. And I'm fanatical about my nails being just the right length and having perfectly smooth edges.

Polish, in answer to Zuzu, helps keep them strong and it wears away very gently from the edges. Bad polish chips like crazy so my Butter London polishes are definitely out of the question. Most colors in OPI, with a top coat, wear like steel though.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Kelly

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
I agree that OPI wears like steel, and I am disappointed that butterLONDON peels off in big sheets.

I am surprised that nail polish makes your nails stronged. When I use it, it makes mine weaker because it is so drying, so I would love to know your secret. I don't know if it's weekly manicures (without giving my nails more than a day's breather) or the nail polish remover, but after a few weeks, my nails start to peel, and they continue like this until the nail has fully grown out form the cuticle.

My nails get hard as a rock when left natural and if I get plenty of B vitamins and don't eat gluten.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
My nails split and crack if I don't wear polish.  The polish works like a glue.  This has become a real problem as I've gotten older.  These big ridges are developing, JUST LIKE MY MOM'S, and that's where they like to split.

So now I keep them super short and glue them down!
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Kelly

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »
Apparently the ridge thing comes over time. My nails used to be smooth as glass, but now all are slightly ridged, but especially my thumbs.

Off kilter, but I noticed that my tabby cats' nails get thicker with age. The vet concurred this is normal. 

Carry on.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
I always have OPI's Nail Envy on my nails as a base. In the old days there was something (probably toxic) that was thin and clear that I applied to my right pinkie to prevent it from splitting (I have a genetically deficient pinky nail on one hand) and it was miraculous. Nail Envy is the next best thing I've found. OPI has a ridge filler that looks interesting too.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »
If Nail Envy prevents splitting, then I need some of that stuff.  My nails used to be indestructible - even playing the piano - but no more.  Alas.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »
Alright - do you use the original, matte, dry and brittle, sensitive and peeling, or soft and thin?  Do you also use the maintenance product?  This is complicated!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
I use the matte. I'm not sure I was aware of dry and brittle or sensitive and peeling.