News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Guitarist's nails  (Read 4612 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Guitarist's nails
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
Thank you.  I went to drugstore.com to check on their OPI and they had all these different versions (5) plus a maintenance one to put on every other day.  Somehow I didn't think you were doing all of that!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Kelly

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
Also, make sure you are getting enough biotin.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »
Yes, ma'am!  But...how do I know if I am getting enough?  Oh - when my nails don't split, I suppose.

Kelly

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
You could get an RGB blood test to know for certain. It would be easy to convince a doctor. Thinning hair, peeling nails, gimme the test!

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
In the past I've used Nail Envy, and it's good.  I especially liked the Matte.  However I found that Nailtiques Formula 2+ worked even better.  But in either case, both worked great at first, then my nails actually went from soft and splitting to brittle..then they would fracture-break.  The best thing I've found is those "Healthy Hoof"-type nail creams.  Very cheap, available at Sally and other beauty supply stores.  With HH I finally got strong, but still a bit pliable, nails.  And I figured that's the healthiest thing for them anyway.  So if you do use Nail Envy or Nailtiques, don't use it too long.

Kelly

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the cream, dd.

I have given up weekly manicures because whatever is in the polish, combined with the remover, weakened my nails so badly that they peel. Then I am stuck with peeling nails until each nail fully grows out from the root of the nail bed.'

Sure the nails feel stronger with polish on them, but when they are bare, they are a mess.

It makes me sad because I really like a weekly manicure. I live how my hands look with a medium-deep rosy mauve on each little fingertip.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:14 AM »
I was poking around and found OPI Nail Envy Maintenance at probeautywarehouse.com.

Keep nails to envy! Continuing to harden nails once they are perfectly strong can result in brittleness. Once nails have achieved their optimum strength with Original, Matte, Dry & Brittle, or Soft & Thin Nail Envy, switch to Maintenance Nail Envy to keep them at their best

The directions, including applying a coat every other day, don't sound very polish friendly. For those who don't wear polish (including unpredictable me for months at a time) I wonder if this would be a good way to maintain really strong nails.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
And from the same site, is this OPI Avoplex Nail & Cuticle Oil all it's cracked up to be? Does anyone know? Or is it like buying an expensive face product where most could do just fine with a more moderately priced product? Thanks. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:08 AM »
I have used the cuticle oil but I think any brand of cuticle oil would be fine. I am actually using Bio-Oil (which I had bought to massage into a scar with no results) as a cutical oil. After I polish my nails and put on the quick-dry top coat (Out The Door), I apply the oil over the entire nail and cuticle to speed up the drying process and add moisture.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »
I have used the cuticle oil but I think any brand of cuticle oil would be fine. I am actually using Bio-Oil (which I had bought to massage into a scar with no results) as a cutical oil. After I polish my nails and put on the quick-dry top coat (Out The Door), I apply the oil over the entire nail and cuticle to speed up the drying process and add moisture.
Oh, thank you, Betty! The Bio-oil is on the chopping block - going down the drain. I've purchased it for the same reason and no result, too. I was going to search the net to see if I can use it for something else but got lazy and I have a purging date at the end of the month. The Bio-oil is was on the list.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
I've seen the price of that Bio-Oil...you can surely use it to moisturize something!  It should be fine on cuticles.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
I always have OPI's Nail Envy on my nails as a base. In the old days there was something (probably toxic) that was thin and clear that I applied to my right pinkie to prevent it from splitting (I have a genetically deficient pinky nail on one hand) and it was miraculous. Nail Envy is the next best thing I've found. OPI has a ridge filler that looks interesting too.
I found a bottle of this at Marshall's today for half the regular price!  For some reason, I clearly remembered this discussion and decided I should try it.  They only had the one bottle.

And now it is mine. :grin:

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
Great score, Listy.   :clap:
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.