News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Poll

What Anti Aging ingredients are you using in your daily skincare routine?

Vitamin A (Retinol, Tretinoin and Retinyl Palmitate)
17 (16.2%)
Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid
10 (9.5%)
Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
4 (3.8%)
Vitamin K
1 (1%)
Alpha-Hydroxy Acids(AHA's)
12 (11.4%)
Beta Hydroxy Acids(Salicylic Acid)
8 (7.6%)
CoEnzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone)
4 (3.8%)
DMAE
3 (2.9%)
Ellagic Acid / Anti-Oxidants
0 (0%)
Green Tea
3 (2.9%)
Hyaluronic Acid
9 (8.6%)
Sea Buckthorn
3 (2.9%)
Peptides (Gene,DNA Technology)
6 (5.7%)
Plastic Surgery or Botox
2 (1.9%)
Blue Peels, Acid Peels other Profi Peeling
0 (0%)
Sunscreen/ SPF
15 (14.3%)
Shea Butter
2 (1.9%)
Essential Oils (like rose, etc)
4 (3.8%)
Other miracle cure/ Ayurveda,Yoga etc
2 (1.9%)
None - I do not believe in Anti-Aging
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: POLL: What are the active Anti Aging ingredients in your daily Routine  (Read 6851 times)

Eurodivas

• Gold Member
  • Please bring back Magic Liquid Powder in Deep
Re: POLL: What are the active Anti Aging ingredients in your daily Routine
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »
Just looked at the website of Peter Thomas Roth.  This guys stuff looks really serious!!
Vanity should have no boundaries regardless of age!

Kelly

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
I love everything I have used by him, including his spare, minimal black-and-white packaging. Buffing beads, lip balm, moisture surge, all wonderful stuff.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
His products are excellent. Some of them are quite expensive, while others are more reasonable. I also like the simple packaging. He had a microdermabrasion scrub that was short-lived that was very pricey; perhaps that's why it was discontinued.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
Oh, how could I have left out his sunscreen! The Ultra Light is very nice, but it's a chemical sunscreen, and my face does not tolerate chemical sunscreens the way it used to. He also makes physical ones, but they can be a little goopy. I can't imagine women of color using that unless they really rub it in. I am pale, and it can me look like Casper the Friendly Ghost, but if I were spending a day on the beach or on the sailboat, that is what I would take.

Eurodivas

• Gold Member
  • Please bring back Magic Liquid Powder in Deep
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
I know what you mean with Ghost effect.  My Holly Grail sunscreen is Darphin Vital Protection and this is also the only Physical sunscreen I can wear without exploding with pimples.  The other line that I am loyal to is Avene.  I find their sunscreens to be ever so gentle and they blend perfectly without leaving a white cast.  Really creamy and not chalky.    

I only wear sunscreen when I am directly exposed to Sun, on the beach or when I am using skin medication such as Retin-A.  
Vanity should have no boundaries regardless of age!

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »

Sorry Veuve about the Niacin.  I am not very familiar about this one so it did not ring any bells. 

No worries-- I think it's pretty new on the scene!
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

taz1946

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
I clean my face with a combination of grape seed, avocado, castor, & safflower oils that include essential oils good for aging skin. I follow with retin a and Erno Lazslo's eye emollient with retinol. In the am I use my own vitamin c with e serum. I am 64 and really like my skin for the first time in my life.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »
Wow.  That is an amazing testimonial.  So glad you found what truly works for you - even if it did take a lifetime to do!  I have used those oils, too, except for avocado.  I would like to try that one, if I ever see it.

I am glad to see you post a comment, taz1946!  We love to hear new ideas.

• Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Kelly

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
I clean my face with a combination of grape seed, avocado, castor, & safflower oils that include essential oils good for aging skin. I follow with retin a and Erno Lazslo's eye emollient with retinol. In the am I use my own vitamin c with e serum. I am 64 and really like my skin for the first time in my life.

Welcome taz1946! Your regimen sounds very gentle and natural.

I'd love to hear more about your own morning ritual.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
Hi and welcome, taz1946!

Do you purchase the oils separately and mix them? Or do you buy them already blended? I'd love to give a finished product like that a try.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

taz1946

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
ZuZu and Tupelo,

Thank you for the welcome!

In the a.m. I take a washcloth and go over my face in a circular motion with just plain water (exfoliates), then I use a vitamin C serum that I got from the DIY recipes index at EDS skincare forum. Just scroll down to Vitamin C and pick one. Some are simple (I think simple is best) and CHEAP. Too, the vitamin C stays fresh which is an impossible thing to monitor when you buy a premixed product. I use the C,E and ferulic acid formulation. I up the C to get a 20% value. I also add a drop of lavender essential oil for fun. Trust me, I am not a big DIYer. This and my cleansing oil are all I do. After the C dries, I use SS, Olay Regenerist, in the summer topped with MMU. In the winter when I am inside I depend on the MMU only for skin protection.

The cleansing oil is 1/2 castor (it can be drying), then I divide the remaining 1/2 into thirds. 1/3 safflower, 1/3 grapeseed and 1/3 avocado, jojoba & apricot kernal. I top it off with drops of essential oils that are good for my skin type - aging! I just eyeball my portions and use less of the drying oils in the winter & more of the other. Nothing to stress over! I bought the oils at our local health/deli food mart. They seriously last forever just stored on my BR shelf. I mix them in a cute dispenser used for oil/vinegar dressing. There is tons of info about these and recommendations on the net. Sooo inexpensive and effective! I've been on my routine for almost 3 years.

Kelly

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Doesn't seem like there is single thing in there that could hurt your skin. :)  How often to you have to make your recipe?

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
Thanks for posting the recipe, taz. I had no idea that "drying oils" existed. I would have a bunch of homework to do if I was make my own cleansing combo. Obvious, you're well versed in this!
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Kelly

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
I had no idea that "drying oils" existed.

It seems crazy, doesn't it? And yet both Ponds and Albolene (in which the main ingredient for both is mineral oil) dry my skin after prolonged use.

taz1946

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »
I make each recipe about once every 2 months. Maybe less, haven't ever really paid attention.

I'm retired so I have a lot of time to read and enjoy the research. I have read that mineral oil is not good for your skin since it is not plant based. I really don't know that I agree with that, but I do know that the ones I use work for me.

I didn't mention it but my skin is very oily in the T-zone, especially in the summer. I have never had to use moisturizer on a regular basis, even though I know they say one should, I don't. I use the Olay Regenerist serum occasionally at night in the winter. Also, I forgot -duh!-that I use a wipe like Pamper's or whatever to remove the oil cleanser.

My skin is not perfect, but I get complements. I have some dilated blood vessels along my jaw line, larger pores than I would have ordered in my T zone and a few unnoticeable sebaceous hyperplasia spots. Nothing MMU can't take care of. Still I entertain the idea of seeing someone about laser treatments. I have still not had botox or fillers. I have done an at home TCA peel with good results. The best thing I ever did for my face was having my eyes done 15-20 years ago. But the best thing for my skin was Retin-A. I shamefully admit I only started using SS 3 years ago but don't go out without it on hands and face now. Sorry for the lonnng answers!