News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: enhancing white/grey hair  (Read 5066 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
enhancing white/grey hair
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:45:27 AM »
Now that my grey hair is showing a bit more (I'm having it cut again today,by the way) I have been reading about enhancing shampoos. Blue Malva by Aveda seems to have a lot of followers and my salon is actually an Aveda salon. I want my white hair to be glossy ... but I certainly don't want a blue/purple rinse (the Dame Edna is not a good look) and I have read reviews that these shampoos can turn your hair purple.
Has anyone heard anything about this? Should I just stick with a good shampoo & conditioner for dry hair?
...by the way my DH says he will hate it if I go totally grey and he is willing to pay for professional colouring, no matters how much it costs :o I Told him I won't make a decision until I see what  it looks like.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:50:35 AM by milla »

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
Re: enhancing white/grey hair
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »
I don't have any advice on shampoo/conditioner, but I have a question for your husband. How does he know he will hate it? Sounds like he's already made up his mind before seeing the complete picture. Just out of curiosity, does he have grey hair? :wink:
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
I love Blue Malva shampoo.  Sadly, I cannot answer your question about how it reacts on silver hair.  I used it as a blond with blond highlights to avoid brassy tones.  Love, love, love the smell of it.

I would be very surprised if it gave you the Dame Edna look.  But you could always use it in rotation with another shampoo.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
    • Quotidienne
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
Another alternative would be to have a clear gloss applied. That's what I plan to do once I'm totally grey/white. If your grey has a wiry texture it will help with this, too (the main reason I'd do it-- my greys are coarse and dull).

The purple/blue rinse is just to counteract any yellow/brassy tones. I suspect a lot of women had this done automatically and didn't need it, hence the blue hair.

I also wonder how your husband knows in advance he'll hate it??
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
He is just prejudiced. Well I'm gray and I'm proud!
 He used to be a red head, now he is sandy-white (what is left of it, LOL)
Anyway, he said he liked my hairstyle. And I am not completely gray yet, one or two more haircuts and it will be a different story. My hairdresser advisd against the Blue Malva shampoo for the time being.

Kelly

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
milla, your coloring is so pretty you'll make a lovey silver crown. :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
We have a long thread about the shampoos in this category.

http://thetimelessbeauty.com/hair-over-40/shampoo-for-shiny-grey-hair/

I use a purple one about once a week.  I don't have purple hair -- but neither do I have yellow!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:43:29 AM »
Thank you ZuZu's, and Listy, I'll be checking that thread.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »
I conditioner-only wash (my hair is curly and dry so CO washing has helped a lot).  I used Aveda Blue Malva conditioner and liked it a lot (not the price so much though).  I have tried several different "blue/violet" conditioners to help keep the yellow out of graying hair.  I find them drying. That's the only downside for me.  I don't use them weekly for that reason, but I try to use them every 2-3 weeks for sure. 

I also use a clear gloss to help my hair look shinier.  Robert Craig Clear is my favorite. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »
Is the clear gloss something you use at home or in a salon?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »
Is the clear gloss something you use at home or in a salon?

Sally Beauty sells Radiance Colorgloss Semi-Permanent Hair Color by Clairol Professional in Clear to add gloss at home.
  • Complexion: NW15-20; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
Have a vision not clouded by fear - Cherokee proverb

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
    • Quotidienne
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:14:09 AM »
You can definitely do it at home-- there's Robert Craig, as Marci noted; Redken Shades EQ comes in a Clear Gloss option as does Pravana (both are Demi-perm and can be ordered online).
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »
I have never heard of those brands. I'm so impressed by the depth of knowledge of everyone here!

Of those, would you have a preference? A recommendation where to look online for them? Since hair is an ongoing expense, if I could reduce it by doing some things at home I'd consider it for the first time ever.
  • Complexion: NW15-20; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
Have a vision not clouded by fear - Cherokee proverb

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:29:16 AM »
Milla, here´s another Finnish saying (sorry that they translate so awkwardly!):

A half-finished work should not be shown but to madmen and to lords.

WHY this should be so, no idea! But, maybe your husband will want to wait and see until your hair is "ready" ?

Once you´ve gotten rid of all the coloured hair and are completely gray (silver? Platinum?) you can decide if you love the look or not.

And, should you hate the way you look, it is very easy and fast to colour it again.

Have you considered you´ll have virgin hair then and can choose anyt colour in the world? You won´t be restricted by the colours you used to colour your hair into by any way.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:32:17 AM »
As stated above, Robert Craig Clear is an at-home treatment. I am very uncoordinated and this is easy for me to do. I have used it many times over the years and I definitely recommend following the instructions from box. However, I leave the mixture on my hair for 30-45 minutes (which is longer than the box recommends but there is no harm to my hair and I get a deeper, longer-lasting shine that way). I have read that other users leave the mix on longer too and they were using color by RC so I figured it would be okay to do with the Clear for sure. It was for me. As with all beauty things, YMMV.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"