News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: enhancing white/grey hair  (Read 10868 times)

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Re: enhancing white/grey hair
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
Stynna, it would be really hard to mess up a clear gloss treatment, I would think-- pretty easy to do on your own. Both Redken Shades and Pravana are professional brands. I think Redken Shades EQ would be easiest of these 2 to use (plus you can get smaller-sized bottles on ebay to try it out, so it wouldn't be a big commitment).
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
I was actually wondering if salons had better quality gloss products than I would be able to get.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Before I began to color my hair I used to get a "cellophane" treatment at the salon. It's a colorless henna treatment, and it made my hair incredibly soft and glossy. I wonder if "gloss" is the same thing?
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
Sorry I did not reply earlier, I have been trying to catch up with several jobs at work. Thank you for all the replies.
I had never heard of clear gloss and it sounds very good. I am going to ask my hairdresser about it.
As for the DIY ones, I have never heard of the products you've mentioned -perhaps they are not available here.
By the way,Anne, I love proverbs. Can you send it to me it in Finnish (with phonetic transcription if poss.), so that I tell it to my husband? I just want to see his face...

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »
I was actually wondering if salons had better quality gloss products than I would be able to get.

You can buy a lot of the same products used by professionals online. (Redken Shades EQ is one of those.) And my stylist uses the same Pravana haircolor in her salon that I use on my hair-- you just have to learn something about color mixing as it relates specifically to hair.

Milla, I think starting out by asking your hairdresser about the clear gloss treatment is an excellent idea.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
Puolivalmista työtä ei näytetä kuin hulluille ja herroille, Milla!  :grin:
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Brilliant! I am going to do some work on those vowels! I can speak a few languages but I have never tried one from the Magyar family-now that's a linguistic challenge. Can you imagine his face when I say that? it will really freak him. I might also try it on my kids at school :evil:

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 03:17:05 AM »
The only letter that really needs a phonetic transcription is the "ä" - I guess it would be /ae/ .

Otherwise, almost everything in Finnish is pronounced as if it is phonetic litteration already.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
Milla, I think your hair is going to look SO pretty. But if you eventually decide it doesn't, well then, you can make it pretty any way you like.

I'm glad you're sticking to your guns despite some negativity from your husband and I hope you keep on doing what makes you happy in this, whatever that may be.

Have you had any other reactions?

As for your original question, I'm still using the Schwarzkopf Blonde Toner once or twice a week. It does the trick and the silver threads are shiny. Next I'll try a blue shampoo. I've found it doesn't need anything fancy done to it. It's far easier to look after than when it was coloured in fact.

If ever you're in need of encouragement, I'll be there!
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
I've heard excellent things about the Schwarzkopf Blonde Toner, but don't get much when I do a google search, LemonM. Can you tell us a little more about it and where you get it? Does it come in different shades? Do you mix it with a developer?
www.shopquotidienne.com

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
Thank you for the support.
May be this is just my way of telling people that I just want to be myself. I don’t feel like putting on an act for anybody, I just want to be what- you- see- is -what- you -get Milla. I want to reclaim myself as a person and I don’t want to fit into anyone’s stereotype of what a 58 year old woman should look like. I am quite fed up of getting up in the morning, putting on my professional persona, and dealing with stuff in a manner that has nothing to do with my feelings and my personal goals. I think that probably my husband is worried about old age because recently we have lost a number of people in our family and it reassures him to see me as a young(er ) person.

Kelly

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »
I think that probably my husband is worried about old age because recently we have lost a number of people in our family and it reassures him to see me as a young(er ) person.

By all means be supportive, but he needs to find those reassurances from within. You deserve to be true to yourself first and foremost.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Thank you for the support.
May be this is just my way of telling people that I just want to be myself. I don’t feel like putting on an act for anybody, I just want to be what- you- see- is -what- you -get Milla. I want to reclaim myself as a person and I don’t want to fit into anyone’s stereotype of what a 58 year old woman should look like. I am quite fed up of getting up in the morning, putting on my professional persona, and dealing with stuff in a manner that has nothing to do with my feelings and my personal goals. I think that probably my husband is worried about old age because recently we have lost a number of people in our family and it reassures him to see me as a young(er ) person.

Milla, I think your assessment is profound. Reclaiming yourself, and not subjecting yourself to others' standards of beauty, including your own DH's.

Profound, too, is your sensitivity as to why he finds your going gray disturbing! It hits the nail (the mortality nail) right on the head. No matter how pretty our gray hair may be, it is most definitely aging. Embracing it is embracing where you are in life now, right down to your "roots." ♥
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:42:57 PM by Tupelo »
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »
I am not giving up now. Another two hair cuts and I am sure I'll be able to see what it really looks like. Then maybe I will grow it again.  It is incredible how dry grey hair can be! I was going to get some Kerastase shampoo/conditioner or may be Ojon, but they both quite expensive and I have been careful lately, as I am thinking of retiring/going part-time within the next 2 years... by then I will be able to enjoy tying  my grey mane in a purple  scarf and spending all day messing about in the garden.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 05:17:26 AM »
@Veuve: I'm in Australia and bought the toner on the recommendation of a blonde sales assistant at a place called Priceline that stocks just about anything that's needed in the bathroom.

It's purple and is used just like a conditioner, after shampooing - but it doesn't condition - and is applied to the hair for 2 mins then rinsed out.

It's recommended to use a conditioner afterwards as it's drying, but I don't bother.

The results aren't startling but my hair doesn't look dull so I guess it's doing the trick.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.