News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: enhancing white/grey hair  (Read 10867 times)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Re: enhancing white/grey hair
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
I've heard excellent things about the Schwarzkopf Blonde Toner, but don't get much when I do a google search, LemonM. Can you tell us a little more about it and where you get it? Does it come in different shades? Do you mix it with a developer?

Veuve, when I Googled it I got lots of info - even a couple of MUA reviews and places to purchase it. It does come in different "shades" of blonde and it looks like it removes any brassy/yellow tones in light blonde hair.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS274&q=Schwarzkopf+Blonde+Toner&btnG=Google+Search
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »
I need something. My hair is in good shape (using only demi permanent colors), but I just noticed that it is golden blonde again! It really doesn't look right with my pink skin-- way too bright. Obviously the color I used 2 weeks ago isn't ash enough.  >:(
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 05:56:20 AM »
Veuve, here's a link to the one I use, with reviews that might be more helpful to you than my experience and comments as some of the reviewers seem to be using it for the very reasons you'd like to try a toner:

http://www.beautyheaven.com.au/products/20061-Blonde-Toner/reviews#
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Oh, thanks! That looks like a completely different product than the one that was coming up when I googled (which was a foam).

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!)
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
I need something. My hair is in good shape (using only demi permanent colors), but I just noticed that it is golden blonde again! It really doesn't look right with my pink skin-- way too bright. Obviously the color I used 2 weeks ago isn't ash enough.  >:(

That is precisely why I have never made a good blonde. Stylists would look at my eyes and see green (rather than blue with grey rims and amber starburst), and they'd make me a golden blonde. I could never understand why my face always looked so flushed and feverish.

One of the best color jobs I ever had was dark ash brown. The color was way too dark for my delicate coloring, but the cool temperature was absolutely correct.

Veuve, could you possibly try Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free? They make three shades for blondes.

http://www.clairol.com/naturalinstincts/BrassFree/index.jsp

As a side note, the grey coming in along my hairline is surprisingly ashy cool. I wish I had the guts to let it go grey. Maybe next time I see Robert, I can ask him to start weaving in other (ash blonde) colors to help the demarcation be less noticeable. But I don't really want to use permanent dye.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Drugstore hair color all seems to kill my hair. I think I need to really just go platinum/violet/silver with my Pravana color. Every time I read about coloring grey hair, it says you have to add in some natural shade or something awful will happen, but that doesn't seem to apply to me. My hair will look fine for the first week, then as the demi starts to wash out, the yellow/gold tones pop back up. I'm thinking that eventually I will just stop toning altogether and do a clear gloss demi. Some of the grey in the very front of my hair looks already very platinum.
www.shopquotidienne.com

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
So I tried a little experiment: I found some Ion Demi Clear Gloss that I had forgotten about, and used it with about 20 drops of Ardell Red/Gold Corrector added. That helped quite a bit to cool the shade down without altering my hair color otherwise. It also helps the texture of my hair (not so wiry and a little fuller-looking). I used a 10V developer, but I should pick up some 5V next time I'm at Sally's and try that.
www.shopquotidienne.com

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »
I re-did my demi with Pravana No-Lift and I maybe have the right shade. Now I just have to remember the mix and hope it lasts more than a few weeks. I mostly used a level 9 platinum blonde with a little bit of level 9 ash blonde mixed in. I don't understand how my hair can keep reverting to golden blonde when it is naturally a very ashy shade-- and the entire front seems like it is all grey now. Sigh. The next time I go in for a haircut I'll have to ask my stylist about it and see if there's anything else I can do.
www.shopquotidienne.com