News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Discussion of House of Mirth  (Read 3809 times)

Canie

• Administrator
Re: Discussion of House of Mirth
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »
I split this discussion of the Edith Wharton novel House of Mirth from the larger topic of What Are You Reading?, simply because it deserved its own place in the Entertainment Board.  We plan to do this whenever a book or other art form inspires an in-depth conversation within a topic.

In this case, we hope that those wanting to find new book suggestions may continue their search in the original topic, while anyone interested in The House of Mirth may follow it up in the new topic.

Who knows?  We might even end up with our own The Timeless Beauty Book Club!
-Canie

Kelly

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
Thanks, Canie.

Now. Who wants to tackle Atlas Shrugged? :evil:

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
Couldn't make it thru that one.   :rollseyes:

Glad you gals mentioned I should begin with House of Mirth, I started Age of Innocence today and am having a harder time getting into this one.  I feel it is starting out slowly, but I'll hang in there.

One part of HoM I admired was when Lily confessed to her cousin that it just seemed that the hangers on like herself life off of the rich for free.  But in truth she needed the right clothes, needed to participate in the gambling, needed money for tips, etc.  That gave a more rounded picture of her life and some of the other young folks that circle around the rich circles. 
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Kelly

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
Couldn't make it thru that one.   :rollseyes:

Nor I. And yet I was unable to put down The Fountainhead. Weird.

I'm glad we had this discussion, Poppy. You enlightened me and forced me to look at things I hadn't considered, such as now similar Lily and Rosedale actually were.

I always liked him in the movie. :D

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
Me too.  It helps to organize your thoughts to write something down to share, and reading others thoughts helps to see the story more fully.

I looked for HoM on Netflix, alas it is not on instant view.  I'll eventually get it into the rotation for mail delivery - DH and I are on a Classic Movie kick - replacing paying for Turner Classic Movies channel. 
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Kelly

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
I looked for HoM on Netflix, alas it is not on instant view. 

You haven't seen it?? :eek: You might find that one is worth owning.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
Alas, no.  I'm an incomplete woman.   :rofl:

I'm sure they emphasize the romance in the movie.  Reading the book first gave me a chance to think more about motives rather than be awed by gorgeous actors, costumes and sets.   :wink: 

Kelly

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »
True it is lush, but they did an excellent job. The film is ALL about relationships. It's fascinating--one of the best period pieces I have ever seen, and I have a thang for those (a milk crate full of them).

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
Today I read the post by a High WASP writing a blog entitled Privilege.  Quite witty - you might enjoy the blog.

Anyway, her father, a professor, wrote an essay about Wharton, Age of Innocence - book and movie - and how it related to his grandmother's experience in that world.  

If you are interested, jump the link here:  http://amidprivilege.com/2011/03/guest-post-father-professor-discusses-age-innocence-wharton-scorsese/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+-Privilege+%28-+Privilege%29

Kelly

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »
Pops, that link didn't work, but I think this is the right spot: http://amidprivilege.com/2011/03/guest-post-father-professor-discusses-age-innocence-wharton-scorsese/

I bookmarked it so I can read it tomorrow. I can't wait!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:08:44 PM by Zuzu's Petals »

Kelly

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »
I couldn't resist. I haven't read the guest post yet, but I looked around her blog, and it looks interesting. She's a DAR. So is my husband, lol. I think I already know what shoes to wear with navy, but I look forward to reading about her paternal relatives' age of innocence.

Now off to bed and more reading tomorrow.