News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Kindle and other e-book reading devices  (Read 2424 times)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Kindle and other e-book reading devices
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
I agree that it's not an either/or thing. I read my kindle but also read books on occasion. For travel, though, you cannot beat the Kindle.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
I had nothing to do during my lunch break and was kicking myself for not bringing my Kindle to work ... until I realized I had installed on my laptop Amazon's free app, Kindle for PC.

In one simple button click, I had synced my PC application to the last page I'd read on my Kindle last night, and I was happily reading where I'd left off.

I love real books, and I will always have bookcases full of my Greeks and 18th century English literature and other items, but for contemporary reading and reference materials, I am making all my purchases electronic ones.

For books that contain pictures, maps, and charts, I'll stick with the real deal.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
I love Nook for PC, too!  It syncs to my phone and my Nook, and makes life a little more simple for me. Plus, I HATE the pop-up touch keyboard on the Nook and far prefer ordering my books/periodicals on my laptop.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:42:13 PM by Tupelo »
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
I treated myself to the new Kindle ("3") after Christmas. Much to my surprise, as I would have been in the camp of "no, never, nothing could ever replace the experience of a book in my hands."

What tipped me over was reading the paperback version of Devil in the White City (great book!) with its size 2 print font. These old eyes nearly went blind, even in good light.

I agree with those who say it's not either/or. The e-reader experience is very practical and very enjoyable in its own right. Love the convenience on a trip or for daily outings that will require long waits, etc. So far, I've purchased books for the Kindle that I don't particularly care to have on my physical bookshelf forever, lighter stuff. As for physical books, I expect that I will continue to buy those that are more meaningful, if that makes sense.

Agree with Tup -- really miss the flipping back and forth to remind myself of which character is which. I've always been a "skipper" and the Kindle has put a damper on that.
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy