News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Recipes for the Food Sensitve  (Read 1752 times)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Recipes for the Food Sensitve
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
Some of us are eating gluten free diets. I've been developing gluten and dairy free recipes for the past year as part of food-sensitive, consistently reliable, menus at work.

I'd love to read your recipes and share mine. I'd also love to see a vegetarian/vegan board. I'm also totally stumped for the soy sensitive ladies. That's a challenge I'd like to undertake, and I would enjoy trying tofu replacement recipes our members have developed.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Kelly

Re: Recipes for the Food Sensitve
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
I'll think of some of the GF/CF recipes I have enjoyed and post them. Probably not until late tomorrow.

As for soy, I am not sensitive to it, but I see images of skull and crossbones when I look at a package of soy. I used to like it (personal favorites were marinated soy for stir fries and a recipe that used udon noodles, peanut sauce, broccoli and soy), but my physician said to stay away, and I do. It is also best that I stay out of any soy discussions because my views are not moderate.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
This is being dubbed the "Facebook of Food."  It's a remarkable database.

"What do you want to eat?"

It's one of the most common questions we ask every day. But while the foodie media answers this on television, on the web and in blogs, the ever-growing world of social media has yet to tap in to foodie market.

Enter Foodily, a sleek and comprehensive recipe and ingredient search engine with impressive social integration. The startup, which was founded by two former Yahoo! employees, aggregates millions of recipes from all over the web. In comparison, other leading recipe sites like AllRecipes.com, index about 50,000.

When searching for an ingredient or dish on Foodily, your results are displayed in a cool, sideways-scrolling interface that shows a photo of the dish, the recipe and where it came from (recipes are sourced from commercial sites like Epicurious and from popular food blogs, a special addition that other recipe aggregators lack).

The real triumph here is that the search engine can be as broad or as narrow as you want. Don't like the taste of cilantro? Search for tacos without them. Don't have cumin in your spice rack? You can hide all recipes that include cumin and keep searching for that perfect taco 'til your heart's content.

Super search capabilities aside, Foodily is getting all the buzz for its deep Facebook integration, and rightfully so. After all, eating, like Facebook, is quite a social experience. If you're logged in to Facebook, you'll see the recipes your friends like. And if you favorite a recipe, it will show up that you've "liked" it on Facebook. Foodily also lets you plan a meal, create a menu and invite friends to join you via Facebook, a feature that's bound to be useful for planning potlucks or holidays.

While other sites like Yelp, Groupon and Grubwithus all touch on elements of foodie networking, Foodily is the first food site to truly go social. And with its plans to stay ad-free by using coupons that are paired with search results as a revenue source, we're even more compelled to dig in.

Read more: Foodie Startup Dubbed ‘The Facebook of Food’ - Techland - TIME.com

Kelly

Re: Recipes for the Food Sensitve (Grain-Free Granola Balls)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
Here's a recipe I tried last week. It is outstanding (and very addictive). I highly recommend making a double batch.  :wink:

http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2011/01/20/grain-free-granola-balls/

Grain-Free Granola Balls

Makes 12-14 balls

½ cup raw sunflower seeds
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
½ cup blanched almond flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
¼ cup dried blueberries
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon good quality honey
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almond flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse for ten 1-second pulses to form a coarse meal. Transfer to medium mixing bowl.
3. Stir in the walnuts, blueberries, and raisins.
4. Then add the honey, almond butter, water, and vanilla. Stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Dough will be thick and stiff.
5. Using wet hands, form dough into tightly-packed balls about 1½ inches in diameter. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden brown. Balls will still be soft to touch. Cool completely before serving or storing. Balls will set up as they cool. (Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:07:18 PM by Zuzu's Petals »

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »
Now those sound yummy!
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
Wow - those granola balls sound GREAT! Stuff like this is wonderful for portable snacks and bite-sized desserts, so one doesn't cave into junk when one is out. I do things in my dehydrator like raw strawberry or pineapple-apricot macaroons that are entirely grain free, and a hit with people who have never even heard of raw foods or gluten-free stuff either.

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
Cara, they really are portable. I find that many gluten-free products fall apart (ever try to make muffins with just rice flour? Eek), but these are firm and dense.

I love macaroons, but now I have to stay away from eggs. <sniffle>

Unless I am mistaken, the Grain-Free Granola Balls appear to be vegan. I am not sure on a vegan's stance on honey, though. You could substitute with maple syrup, but it would likely change the texture.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I have two ingredients that have helped me adapt recipes.  One is almond milk for non-dairy use.  I have used this in mashed potatoes, casseroles, and baked goods.  I buy the Silk brand, but there are even some in cartons that are shelf-stable.

The other is almond meal/flour.  Mine is by Red Mill and adds a wonderful sweet, nutty flavor to things like pie crust, muffins, corn bread, or pancakes.  It is expensive, but delicious and healthy, too, for people on gluten-free diets.  Beats the pants off of rice flour!

I relied on both of these over the holidays to make traditional dishes that still worked for me, my son, and my daughter-in-law.  (We're the only ones in the family who are eating this way.  So far.:wink:)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
Unless I am mistaken, the Grain-Free Granola Balls appear to be vegan. I am not sure on a vegan's stance on honey, though. You could substitute with maple syrup, but it would likely change the texture.
The strict vegans I have talked with do not eat any animal products, including honey.  The ones who do eat honey don't actually fit the definition of vegan.  Someone recently called them flexitarians, which is even less defined!

I know some vegans who also won't use skin care that has beeswax in it.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
I always thought flexitarians were vegitarians who also added fish to their diets.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
I think it has come to mean someone who doesn't adhere strictly to a category.  I first heard it used for people who eat a vegetarian diet most of the time, but still eat meat occasionally.  They are motivated by personal health reasons and not animal rights.  Obviously.

Even those who practice Meatless Mondays could be called flexitarians, I guess.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
Flexitarians eat animal protein, meat/fish/eggs, occasionally.

I like to use sorghum and sweet rice flower for gravies and sauces. You really can't tell the difference when you use them to substitute wheat flour.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
Thank you!