News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: I finally found a squirrel proof bird feeder. Kinda feel bad  (Read 2044 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
I finally found a squirrel proof bird feeder. Kinda feel bad
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
I'm sitting here in the kitchen, and looked up......  The bird feeder is directly out the window and there was a puzzled/sad squirrel trying to get at the bird seed.  I don't know - do squirrels even have these emotions? LOL  I was always cursing them for stealing all the seeds.  It took years, but I finally found a feeder that seems to be squirrel proof.  And, I still don't like them!  But I feel kinda bad - it's so very cold out.  Can't have both squirrels AND birds.  :rollseyes:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Kelly

Re: I finally found a squirrel proof bird feeder. Kinda feel bad
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
You could always buy bulk peanuts from Agway (or a simlar store) and toss them outside for the squirrels. I do agree they must be having a very hard time feeding themselves right now, especially up here, where there are three feet of snow on the ground.

Maybe I'll get some nums for our squirrely nutkins. I realize they are just rats with a nicer tail, but they're just trying to survive.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »
Love this squirrel/bird feeder video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YZIhlWpS0

Squirrels are tireless, inventive little engineers. I like them and we feed them in the winter. Our squirrels might even enjoy going for a ride on the Droll Yankee feeders. :lol:

• Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
When my in laws used to live in Fremont, CA, they  had all kinds of bird feeders. I think she had at least 10 and two baskets of peanuts for the squirrels.  They kind adopted one of the squirrels. My MIL said that one time, they were sitting down for coffee and they heard a tapping on the kitchen withdow and it was the adopted squirrel. Apparently, both baskets were empty. My FIL stepped outside to fill both baskets and little adopted pet was happy again.  The little guy wainted patiently untile my FIL was done and proceed to stake his claim. 

In their new home, they haven't started the tradition but we're watiting patiently.  :coffee:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:47:03 AM »
Maybe I'll get some nums for our squirrely nutkins. I realize they are just rats with a nicer tail, but they're just trying to survive.
I think they're cute. I know they're a PITA, but still. DH keeps threatening teasing about getting a BB gun, which I know he never would do. I find them entertaining, even though they do mess with the bird feeders.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
Not if you get this kind.

http://bromebirdcare.com/products/plus/

The feeders are weight adjustable so you can keep larger birds away. Amazon often sells them.

My parents bought us one as a housewarming gift, and it has brought us over five years of pleasure.

When the developers cut down the woods behind our house last year, we installed a second feeder.

I love seeing the nuthatches, chickadees, wrens, junkos, finches, sparrows, cardinals, downy and hairy woodpeckers, titmouses, red-bellied woodpeckers, orioles, starlings, grackles, and probably many others I am forgetting.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
We have a squirrel-proof bird feeder (looks like the one you posted, Zuzu, but I'm not sure if it's the same exact one.) They still try now and then, though! With our other feeders, they'd just mess with them until they fell to the ground and emptied the goodies. :lol:
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »
When my in laws used to live in Fremont, CA, they  had all kinds of bird feeders. I think she had at least 10 and two baskets of peanuts for the squirrels.  They kind adopted one of the squirrels. My MIL said that one time, they were sitting down for coffee and they heard a tapping on the kitchen withdow and it was the adopted squirrel. Apparently, both baskets were empty. My FIL stepped outside to fill both baskets and little adopted pet was happy again.  The little guy wainted patiently untile my FIL was done and proceed to stake his claim. 

In their new home, they haven't started the tradition but we're watiting patiently.  :coffee:

That's a hoot! 

Actually, I like birds and squirrels, both.  Yes, with this extreme weather everyone needs some help. I feel bad for the birds, squirrels and bunnies in my mom's yard back in PA right now.  No one there  to feed them...she can't go outside in this snow.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:57 AM »
I let squirrels eat what I offer as well as birds.

Turns out, I´ve been feeding rabbits, too.

It was finally a bit warmer today (+3 C) so I stayed out for a while. Saw these wide trampled paths in our tiny backyard - at first I thought they had been made by humans (as in, neigbour´s kids) but no - I must have had all the rabbits from the neighbourhood here!

No wonder the feeders emptied so quickly.

There has been lot of snow out there so turns out the feeders are too low. Thus, happy rabbits.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Kelly

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
I bought a 20-pound bag of corn and several 5-pound bags of peanuts for the squirrels.

The snow has been so deep, I simply felt bad for them, especially when I continually saw them scrounging around the base of the bird feeder looking for any castoffs.

So, at a minimum, I am providing hours of entertainment for the cats.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
My cats indoor cats, and I confess, I was thinking about their entertainment, too, when I started feeding the birds.

I wonder if your squirrels are like ours - the tiny, red kind? Why would people call them rats with bushy tails? Ours are really sweet. People sometimes give them peanuts at the graveyards, where lots of them live (in the large trees).

I´ve seen magpies kick my feeders so the seeds fall out; also, a single sparrow "shoveling" seed down sideways with her beak to the sparrows waiting on the ground snow. I never knew sparrows would do that!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
Anne, the squirrels here (in the Northeast at least) are grey with bushy tails. We also have chipmunks which are a reddish brown, smaller, and really cute!

Kelly

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »
We have both the grey squirrels and the smaller red ones in the yard. I even saw a black squirrel a few years ago, but they are far more rare.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
And then there are the flying squirrels!

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »
Why would people call them rats with bushy tails? Ours are really sweet.

My father called our gray squirrels 'bushy tailed rats' because there were so many of them, and they would dig up his lawn to bury acorns.  It was hard enough to grow grass under the tall oak canopy and the 'rats' were making it worse.  I loved to watch them though, and found that tail to be as glamorous as a mink stole.   :D 
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.