News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My scalp still gets too greasy (just a rant).  (Read 1697 times)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
My scalp still gets too greasy (just a rant).
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
I am so tired of living with oily skin and scalp. You´d think my scalp would get drier, wouldn´t you? I am 46, after all.

I washed my hair yesterday and it really didn´t look great this morning. I didn´t wash it though (will take a shower and wash it right now, don´t worry!).

The only time in my life my hair wasn´t too greasy was when I was on Accutane (twice). I LOVED it.

I use different shampoos and try not to over-condition.

I even get the roots colored once a month as much to prevent the greasies as to get a new hair color, and it does not work! I do not get highlights any more, as they made the ends so dry.

/end rant.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Re: My scalp still gets too greasy (just a rant).
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:25:25 PM »
My 29 y.o. son has the same issues with his hair and scalp. He can wash his hair, and it still looks limp and oily. Recently he tried Suave Mint(?)/White Tea clarifying shampoo with a bit of the matching conditioner and he likes the results. He is also now doing a cold water only rinse.

You have probably already tried this, but I thought I'd share it anyway. John's hair definitely looks cleaner these days.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
The regular Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo in the clear bottle is good also.  My DH uses it in the summer when his hair stays oily all the time.  I have used it to remove product buildup and it leaves my hair nice and not dry at all. 
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

BlackCat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »
Two words:  dry shampoo!

I didn't have an oily scalp until about 5 years ago.  Now it keeps getting oilier, which I didn't think was supposed to happen with age.

Anyhow, I hate washing my hair every day, especially when I grow it out.  Dry shampoo the next day has made all the difference for my scalp and bangs and buys me an extra wash-free day.  I spray it, rub it into my scalp, let it sit for a few minutes, brush with a natural-fiber brush, and I'm off. 

I've tried a bunch of them.  My favorites are Batiste and Klorane.  Both work well.  Klorane is unscented, which I like, but much more expensive, and the Batiste fragrance does fade (the Diva scent is the best one, with Original after it). 
Everyone is the age of their heart.  - Guatemalan proverb

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
I think Tresemme makes a dry shampoo now also. Could save some $$$.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

BlackCat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

Batiste is one of the cheaper ones out there that I had found.  However, I didn't see Tresemme's--that's  worth checking out.  I did try Psssst to save money, and the aerosol on that is terrible:  it all leaked out.   
Everyone is the age of their heart.  - Guatemalan proverb

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
As an aside, your oily skin is one reason why your skin still looks so flawlessly smooth and youthful. I'm just sayin;.  :evil:

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
As an aside, your oily skin is one reason why your skin still looks so flawlessly smooth and youthful. I'm just sayin;.  :evil:

Yes, ZZ is right, you have to take the bad (oily scalp) with the good (plenty of moisture and natural oil for youthful skin.

I do believe it is true that if you can stretch out the time between shampoos, and don't shampoo so often, your scalp will settle down and produce less oil.  This is the whole notion behind co-washing and no-poo (no shampoo) strategies.  No-poo is usually for very curly hair, but co-washing can work for many hair types.  I used to wash my hair every day, now twice a week, max, and usually only once a week.  But the transition can be trying.  This is easier for longer hair, and don't know how long your hair is now Anne!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:46 AM »
But, Zuzu, I don´t wanna choo-oose!

I am not at all certain greasy skin makes people look younger, skin-wise: what if people with greasy skin also have a thicker skin, and that is why the superficial wrinkles are not there??

But, I have bags and jowls.  >:(
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
 :violin:  Just like we don't get to choose, we don't get to have it all.   :catfight:

I also believe we are not as 'bad' as we think we are.  Others see the whole, lovely package not just that wrinkle or jowl or curl that just has to go the wrong way.   :blink:

Remember, if you still have the oilies, you will never be a dried up old prune!   :tongue:   :rofl:
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »

They do and I use it.  It's a mousse foam 'though.  It's less obvious in your hair but it requires judicious blotting with a towel.  Now that I come to think of it, I'm not sure that it does all that much!  It's good for refreshing your hair and taking any perspiration out (I use it after the gym) but I'm not too sure about the oil busting capabilities.