News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Anne Kreamer's "Going Gray"  (Read 2541 times)

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Anne Kreamer's "Going Gray"
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
Has anyone read this? The author is the woman who documented her going-gray process for More Magazine a couple of years ago (I read this with interest when it came out). Here's an interesting review from her website:

http://www.annekreamer.com/going-gray
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

Re: Anne Kreamer's "Going Gray"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
What did you think about it, Veuve? I looked at it on Amazon.com, but it didn't get many favorable reviews, compared to Going Grey Looking Great.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
Haven't read the book yet. I have it on hold at the library. I read her series in More Magazine. If I am remembering Going Grey Looking Great, that's more about makeup and hair styling, no? This is more about the cultural/social/personal implications of going grey. To be honest, I thought Going Grey Looking Great was a little bit "cookie-cutter", iykwim.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
I agree with your assessment. I borrowed GGLG from the library, but I didn't do more than flip through it. All the grey heads shown were cool-toned women who would have greyed/silvered beautifully anyway. There were no redheads, and almost ALL of the photographs were in black and white.

It felt like cheating to me.

I enjoy More magazine, especially their articles, so I think I'll order Kreamer's book from the library.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »
I got the book from the library, and started it last night. Couldn't put it down until I was half-way through! It's a very fast read-- she's funny and very blunt. Ms. Kreamer mentions the artist Maira Kalman in the first sentence of the book (a friend of hers who turns out to be one of my "inspirational women"), so she had me hooked. I also didn't realize that the author is married to the novelist Kurt Anderson-- he's the host of NPR's "Studio 360" program, which I also love.

Ms. Kreamer was apparently born the same year I was, so her references are spot-on for me. She goes after the real issues behind grey-- how we feel about ourselves, how much we worry about what others think of us (especially men, although she even goes to a lesbian bar and apparently all the middle-aged women there dyed their hair, too), etc. I'm finding it very thought-provoking so far!

(Also, it's nothing like "Going Gray, Looking Great", so any comparison would be apples-to-oranges.)
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:59 PM »
Thanks for the update, Veuve. It sounds like I would prefer Kreamer's book over GGLG.

I wonder why hers gets lacklustre reviews on Amazon. I guess people want a "how-to," rather than an "imagine if."

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
I read the book a while back.  Parts of it were interesting/entertaining and parts were boring to me.  The premise for the book was unique, so IMO, that's why it sold and got attention.  I also found Going Grey Looking Great more helpful/encouraging for the growing out process.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
Wow, I just found this updated picture of Ms. Kreamer today-- she looks great!

This is from a blog I stumbled across called "Rock the Silver".
http://www.rockthesilver.com/rock_the_silver/
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
She's gorgeous. And she absolutely knows what colors suit her. Wow. Wow. Wow.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:30 PM »
She does look great.  Reminds me of the magazine column lady - Hints from Heloise.  I like the darker eyebrows with gray hair; it gives such drama to the face.

• Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

leeniev

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
I'm finished with my copy (and she convinced me). If anyone would like it, send me a pm...

Carlene