News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Any Home and Garden news yet?  (Read 6561 times)

Kelly

Re: Any Home and Garden news yet?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
Gorgeous, Lucy! When I have an oceanside house on my own, I will grow beautiful things. I'd use rugosa as a boundary/fence because it's so prickly and requires no maintenance. I'd also grow pampas grass because I love the way it waves in the wind.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
I am embarrassed. My garden is such a mess at the moment. I haven't done any work. It is going back to the ancestral forest. Now that I haven't got a cat, the squirrels are having a ball. And the other day, when we were having dinner, a fox came up right to the patio doors and looked at us-totally brazen. I am afraid I don't have a lot of sympathy for urban foxes.
But.... I do have a couple of big-ish clumps of snowdrops and they are beautiful. Must send you a picture.

hopflower

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »
And the other day, when we were having dinner, a fox came up right to the patio doors and looked at us-totally brazen. I am afraid I don't have a lot of sympathy for urban foxes.
But.... I do have a couple of big-ish clumps of snowdrops and they are beautiful. Must send you a picture.

Oh I know they can be mischievous, milla. But I love them. At my relatives house (Midlands) they would trot round all over at dusk! A neighbour had a small back shed and they would have their young there each year! So cute.

I love snowdrops. They do not do well in California as it is not cold enough, but once in awhile you will see one is someone's shady garden. Same with convallaria and tulips for that matter.

hopflower

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
Zuzu: If you have heavy soil, liquid anything is the last thing you need. Actually, we have heavy soil in my county for the most part, and sandy soil in the west county. Heavy soil (clay) is desirable for two things: it is very nutrient rich, and can be amended easily. But liquid is not appropriate; you need compost or soil amendment whether it is made by you or a garden products company. I am sure that they are many products in your area which would fit the bill, but the desired result is a fine tilth with a good drainage potential and yet still hold moisture. Admittedly in some areas this is a chore, but it can be obtained. If you garden a lot I am sure you must have a compost pile, if not; it is a good plan to start one.

Hydrangea needs morning sun and afternoon shade. Annabelle is famous for flopping over; perhaps you need an oakleaf or French hydrangea for a compact and neat hedge in front there.

Kelly

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips, hopflower. And yes, I have two compost piles going, one in chicken wire and the other in a tumbler. I can't wait to use the stuff from the tumble this spring--it looks gorgeous!

Our soil is pretty loamy (and rocky--my house sits on granite ledge), but in that particular garden patch I've come across silt and lava rocks, at least that's what I think it's called--extremely light and porous solid masses. When it rains hard I can see water running off the surface, so I am thinking I need to get in there with a garden weasel and break up the surface and add some more compost. The plants have grown in so much that I don't bother mulching any more--except around the Atilbes (avoiding the crowns), which seem to be stunted! Plants around her do very well with compost made from lobster shells, so a lot of our compost is shipped in from Maine.

I am in Zone 5B, bordering on 6A, but I tend to buy plants hearty to zone 4, just because our winters can be so bizarre.

Maybe I'll move Annabelle to the back and transplant my lacecap 'Blue Wave' hydrangeas to the front. That area does get morning sun and afternoon shade, so they are where they should be, I guess. They would get much better morning sun if I took down those oaks, though, because the sun is filtered.

I read up a bit this morning in Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs and a couple other books. It looks like Inkberry hollies do get leggy, so maybe I will replace with the winterberry-type hollies that have the prickly leaves and red berries. I assume I need at least one male bush if I want berries, yes? My inberry has never, not once, produced the black berries it is supposed to produce. It was funny to read his entry on Enkianthus; like me, he's not a big fan. :lol:

hopflower

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
Yes, you do need a male plant and a female plant to get berries. They also tend so shed leaves a lot as they get older. Your lacecap hydrangea would be a better choice where the Annabelle is, it seems. Also, the oaks will tend to rob water as their roots go far. Out here they have adapted to where they do not need as much (Mediterranean climate) but can be problematic just the same for shade and sun issues. Also, you cannot plant too close to them due to ruining the oak itself!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
You always have such a beautiful garden, ZZ!  It's been raining here all week and I haven't done much in the back. But, I will once winter is over.   The Tulips are coming up and my two little blueberry bushes are sprouting little pink/white flowers.  I can't wait to work in the garden.  :cardio:

• Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Kelly

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
The Tulips are coming up and my two little blueberry bushes are sprouting little pink/white flowers.  

How nice! And lucky. We are still under deep snow, but we had a couple days in the 50s, so it's settling down lower. If only that was the last snow of the season, but we have 6 weeks to get through still.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
We're having a little taste of Spring, a little tease, in our neck of the woods here. Today it's 70 degrees. Yesterday was in the mid-60's. So, the snow's gone and the crocuses are starting to peek out. Of course, this will be short-lived. But we are loving it! It's not Spring yet, but as e.e. cummings said, "the world is mudlicious" and although we have no "little old balloon man whistling far and wee," we have green beginnings, fragrant earth, and I'm feeling like a kid again. :)
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
The Tulips are coming up and my two little blueberry bushes are sprouting little pink/white flowers.  

How nice! And lucky. We are still under deep snow, but we had a couple days in the 50s, so it's settling down lower. If only that was the last snow of the season, but we have 6 weeks to get through still.
Ouch! Six Weeks!  It's bitter cold outside right now. I'll just keep looking at your lovely garden pictures and not feel so gloomy.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Kelly

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
We are having bizarre weather. Should reach 60 today.

At least the snow is mostly off the roof.

But, yes, we could easily have many more feet of snow and blizzards aplenty straight through the end of March into April.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Here, too. It was 70 yesterday and should be the same today. Then back to the 40s for the weekend. It is really such a tease; I won't be surprised if we get dumped on one more time.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin