News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: You Asked and Cindy Answered- Part One  (Read 16883 times)

Ammie

• Ageless Beauty
You Asked and Cindy Answered- Part One
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:32:26 AM »
Welcome to the second part of our Spotlight on Cindy Joseph. Here are some of the questions our Timeless Beauties sent me along with Cindy's responses. I think you'll find her answers to be forthright, informative, and downright thought-provoking.

Some of our Beauties had more than one question in their emails so I split them into the appropriate categories for easy and organized reading.

Enjoy!

Haircare

Q.  I would love to know what hair products you use for cleansing, styling, keeping yellow tones away (if you experience that) and how you get your beautiful hair to shine.

A.  I wash my hair every other day. I have naturally very fine hair that is quite soft. I use USANA products. Sense is their skin care and hair care line. The shampoo and conditioner are perfect for my hair. You can purchase them online or from a distributor.

Skincare

Q.  What is your skincare regimen?

A.  I do very little. I wash my face with the Sense facial cleanser by USANA because it’s very gentle. It does not sting my eyes at all. I find that is a good indicator that it's safe for my skin. Then I use my Boomstick Glo to moisturize and that's all I do. I do not wear sunscreen either. I believe the fewer chemicals the better.

Makeup

Q.  Why does my foundation and blush disappear into my skin in about three hours no matter what I do AND what can I do about it? The facts:
   a.  My skin is dry though it gets a tad oily in the t-zone.
   b.  This happens whether or not I use a primer; I've tried maybe 10 different kinds.
   c.  This happens whether or not I dust with loose powder over my foundation. I've used many different loose powders like Laura Mercier, Armani, Bobbi Brown...
   d.  This happens no matter what foundation I use...tinted moisturizer, cream, liquid...many high-end brands.
   e.  I use a light moisturizer underneath and a sunscreen on top of that.
   f.  This happens no matter whether I use a cream blush, powder blush or powder blush over a cream blush...many different brands.      
   g.  I am 57 years old.

A.  My guess is you need a better moisturizer. Your skin is most likely drinking up all and anything it can from the foundation. I would try a very rich moisturizer that not only nurtures your skin and is absorbed but also sits on top of your skin. That way it creates a protective coating as well as moisturizes. After applying, let it sit on your skin for a while before using the foundation. Add more if it is totally absorbed.

Armani makes a very high quality foundation in three textures. The lightest one is very effective. It's called Luminous Silk. The colors are extremely realistic as well. They are about $60 a bottle and well worth the price. I would use Boomstick Glo for your moisturizer and then the Armani foundation. No need to use powder! Powders really dull the skin and add way more texture than desired.  

However, I question using foundations altogether. I have never been crazy about it. I don't like it for myself because it’s just too much to do. I prefer to let my skin show, with uneven tones, scars, freckles, wrinkles and all. It is honest. It is easy to get so used to what you look like with all that make up so when you are without it, you look too different. I find foundations messy (ring around the collar, yucky on the pillow, etc.).  I find it adds extra texture and creates a flat, dead quality to the skin. When I have to wear it for modeling I always add Boomstick Glo on top to bring back the dewiness of natural skin. No matter how thin, natural, or moisturizing the foundation is, I find I still see it on the skin. Healthy skin glows, has life, circulation, and a radiance that foundations eliminate. A foundation is a mask. Plain and simple. However, if that is what you prefer I would use one that does what you want it to do and looks as natural as possible.

Personal

Q.  What is your age?

A. I am 60 as of January 26th this year.

Q.  Please let us know your everyday fashion style. You seem so very comfortable and yet still sexy, and not too many  60-year-old women, at least in the Midwest, have that quality.

A. I dress for comfort. I wear simple, classic clothes. I never wear patterned fabrics. I wear colors that match my hair and skin tone. I like simple clothes that are conducive to the occasion and weather. I prefer to wear my clothes rather than my clothes wear me. If I am not comfortable I won't look good. I like dark jeans and cotton jersey v-necks with three-quarter sleeves. Cashmere in the same style for winter. LOVE UGGS in winter. Flip-flops all summer, with pretty ones for parties. Leather boots with a little heel or low heels for business affairs. I love to see women that dress according to their character and personality, be it kooky, colorful, dramatic or whatever. I say honor what turns you on and makes you feel good! Sometimes I think I should try something more playful or costume-like, but if I do purchase anything like that it ends up just hanging in the closet. I have learned that I prefer simple and classic.

Q.  What was the transition like going from being the makeup artist to having makeup applied to you?

A. Fun and sometimes frustrating. I love seeing how another makeup artist works and sees me. It’s fun to share experiences and products as well. If I am uncomfortable with anything they do I will be very diplomatic and make sure it is done so I’m feeling good about it. I know how to talk to a make up artist because I am one!

Love to hear what my ramblings have inspired or provoked.
Thanks for asking.
Cindy

It's about beauty
It's about women
It's about time

Many, many thanks to Cindy for taking the time to so thoroughly respond to our questions.  Cindy has been asked to write an essay (I read it and it's really informative) for the primebook.com and it will be appearing there shortly.  I love knowing that, according to Cindy, I am always in the prime of my life.
  • Complexion: Light with pink undertones but tan easily
  • Eyes: green with yellow flecks and a dark grey rim
  • Hair: medium dark brown with lightish highlights, very thick and almost curly
I still haven't found what I'm looking for- U2.

Canie

• Administrator
Re: You Asked and Cindy Answered- Part One
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »
Thank you, Ammie, and thanks also to Cindy Joseph for taking the time to answer our questions. There will be another installment soon, so if you did not see your question here today it will be appearing in another segment.

Cindy really enjoys feedback, ladies, so feel free to comment on anything you have read so far!
-Canie

Marcia

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
It's interesting that Cindy doesn't wear foundation. I guess I'd need to be more confident about my uneven skintone to do that.

Ammie

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »
I was surprised that Cindy doesn't wear a sunscreen.
  • Complexion: Light with pink undertones but tan easily
  • Eyes: green with yellow flecks and a dark grey rim
  • Hair: medium dark brown with lightish highlights, very thick and almost curly
I still haven't found what I'm looking for- U2.

Kelly

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »
Maybe she wants to soak up all that immune-boosting Vitamin D.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
We have discussed sunscreens here before and heard from those who don't see a need to wear one.  There has been controversy on this issue, with some saying sunscreens are actually not good for skin. 

To me, not wearing sunscreen is one more way that Cindy flies in the face of conventional wisdom.  Her hair is not only her natural silver, but also long and flowing.  How many times have we been told we must wear our hair short?  And dye it, of course.  She has a simple cut that she lets air dry.

Then we hear she only washes and moisturizes her face.  No treaments, exfoliants, scrubs, masks, etc. and definitely no procedures.  No sunscreen and no foundation.

Simple, casual, comfortable clothes and footwear.  No prints!  How easy is that?  Everything would go with everything else.

I think this woman has life figured out.  I envy her confidence more than anything.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
Yes, her confidence.  What a great way to sum it all up, Listy.  She has figured out what suits her (no fussy routines, no market hype) and quietly, confidently goes ahead with her life.  We've got to admire a woman like that.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Kelly

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
Unless you are/were in the beauty/fashion business, I would swear that this lovely simplicity it's how life used to be for most of us before the internet. Sure, we had fashion magazines to tempt us, but speaking from personal experience, I owned a lot less makeup when I had to actually leave the house to look at it in a store. (I also made far fewer mistakes and wasted much less money, then, too.) Now that I can converse with people and read reviews online and look at swatches from the comfort of my armchair, I find myself buying much more than I could ever use in a lifetime.

It seems to me that the media uses scare tactics to make women think we are inadequate or misinformed if we aren't using every possible product to keep ourselves looking young, as though growing older were a disease. Menstruation and menopause are certainly treated that way.

I don't know what took me so long, but I am becoming very jaded. It's my nature to be skeptical (questioning), so I do not know why I bought into all the hype all these years. I guess the media did its job.   :wink:  That said, I do enjoy all the pretty collections and colors, and I enjoy playing with makeup, but I am beyond creating A Look for myself. What I most want is simplicity when I get ready in the morning (e.g., the 5-minute makeup routine I had a mere 3 years ago), so it's really wonderful to read about someone as beautiful and successful as Cindy whose routine is so pared down, from her skin care to the makeup she puts on her skin.

I do admire that very much and see that confidence has been the missing ingredient for me. So it's even more impressive that Cindy can be in the business and still stay true to her own ideals!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
You have hit some important points there, Zuzu.  I have always lived in small towns, so before the internet I didn't even know how much was out there.  I was a drug store makeup girl until the internet came along and lured me out of my comfort zone.

I'm not sorry for having more choices available to me, though - it's my job to rein myself in when it comes to buying.  I usually get products that are more in the middle range of brands and not the highest-priced ones anyway.  I'm trying to buy only when I can really use something new.

That 5-minute makeup Zuzu mentioned - I think we probably looked just fine that way and never knew it.  Personally, I only spend a lot more time when I get into a complicated eye shadow and liner routine.  When I was younger, it always took more time to do my hair, because I was trying to make it do something it didn't want to do!

So I think that what we can learn from Cindy Joseph is not that we should imitate what she does specifically - I doubt a lot of us will stop wearing sunscreen or foundation! - but to realize that we are enough as we are.  We don't have to try quite so hard to look different (younger?) than we do.

That would be a confidence-builder right there.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
That 5-minute makeup Zuzu mentioned - I think we probably looked just fine that way and never knew it.  Personally, I only spend a lot more time when I get into a complicated eye shadow and liner routine.  When I was younger, it always took more time to do my hair, because I was trying to make it do something it didn't want to do!

Yes, same here. Strangely enough, I spend much less time on my hair now. Maybe it's because I found a good cut or blow dryers are more efficient.

But I get into a time sink when I try to apply too many products to my face. Between concealer and highlighter and blush and tightlining ... yikes.

I was much happier (and more free) when it was a bit of mineral powder, a swipe of eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick. I am not completely convinced that all those other products are doing much. Since concealer flatly does not work for me, I am much better off eating right, drinking plenty of water, and getting quality sleep.

We don't have to try quite so hard to look different (younger?) than we do.

I agree. And there was a time when I loved summer for bringing out my freckles. :lol:  The primary difference back then was they faded after Labor Day.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
I think I'd be a lot more confident if I had the kind of looks that would catch the eye of a modeling agent! :lol:
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
I'm thinking there's a dichotomy working here. If we are "enough as we are," why are we buying Cindy's makeup or any makeup at all?

And if we buy makeup, is it because we are not confident in our appearance, the face we present to the world? I don't think so. I don't think foundation is a "mask," either. It's a way of expressing a prettier image of ourselves, for ourselves. It doesn't mean we don't accept ourselves, or that we are not confident in our appearance.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:07 AM »
I buy makeup for a number of reasons.
1) I think I look better and hence feel better with at least a little makeup. That does not mean I don't like myself without any makeup, just that I like myself better with it.
2) I really love to play with makeup. It's a toy or art project.
3)It also makes me feel more feminine.
4) The colors are just so pretty! :lol:
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
4) The colors are just so pretty! :lol:

Yup. When I am in department stores or Sephora, I am the female equivalent of a DIY guy in a tool shop. :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
I'm thinking there's a dichotomy working here. If we are "enough as we are," why are we buying Cindy's makeup or any makeup at all?

And if we buy makeup, is it because we are not confident in our appearance, the face we present to the world? I don't think so. I don't think foundation is a "mask," either. It's a way of expressing a prettier image of ourselves, for ourselves. It doesn't mean we don't accept ourselves, or that we are not confident in our appearance.

I think the dichotomy isn't so much about confidence as it is about different situations. Just as we wouldn't show up to someone's wedding in our old blue jeans, so we add some color to our faces and nails when circumstances call for it. There is a continuum between the two and some lean more toward old blue jeans on a daily basis while others lean more toward color in their daily lives.

I think the message here is that it's OK to be ourselves in any way that is comfortable for us.

I, for example, have far more makeup than 5 of me could use in a lifetime. Still, many days I wear none. I've also found that the "perfect" skincare regimen for me personally doesn't have to be adhered to with strict precision. I avoid sleeping in makeup but otherwise I allow a lot of flex in my regimen. When I am on a kick and adhere to it for several days, yes, my skin looks better. But the difference is, I suspect, visible only to me.

One of my dearest friends uses a full face as a motivation to start her day. She loves the artistry of makeup and the illusions she can create with it. She also has to make time for this in her day and she's willing to do this because she loves the process and the colors and the myriad effects. Given a choice, I am certain that she would be happier applying her artistry to someone else's "canvas" rather than her own because she enjoys the challenge. She loves makeup and the art of applying it.

Most of us are probably somewhere in between my friend and me. I don't see a problem with any part of that except when we are buying and using products because we feel we should. Part of my MU stash is the result of reading about this or that product and hearing such glowing reviews that I feel I must have something. As others have noted, I find that I am pushing aside a lot of my "must have" purchases in favor of those products that I love and turn to over and over.

Many of us were/are regulars on MUA where the emphasis is definitely on the latest look or trend. My sense is that many of TTB's members are, like me, letting the inner mad makeup artist subside in favor of simpler routines. We are looking for simpler lifestyles and questioning the need to use products to hide signs of age in favor of simple enhancement and adding a bit of color. There are still those who, like my friend, will always be fascinated by and use innumerable products.

I agree that the internet has stimulated this type of conversation and buying in ways that magazines never did. Places like TTB, MUA, and the numerous blogs on the topic make it possible for us to talk to others who are like us - not models in magazines - and learn about what does and doesn't work. The internet also makes it possible for someone like Cindy to join in our conversation and offer her views as a magazine model, a business woman, and a woman who has been in the makeup trenches. I think it is remarkable that she has such a simple routine and that she has long, natural hair. I am hopeful that her success is a signal that society is gradually beginning to recognize the natural beauty in all of us timeless beauties.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart