News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Avene cleanser (from Lisa Eldrige's recommendations)  (Read 6075 times)

Kelly

Re: Avene cleanser (from Lisa Eldrige's recommendations)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
I agree that it's more gel like than milky.

And cool! I can't wait to use it on a warm summer evening.

Veuve, did you find that it cleaned your skin well? I get the sense you used a dual process. Or did you wash your face with Avene on the Clarisonic brush head? That never occurred to me either, as I have always though I needed something more "soapy" on the device.

You're just pioneering the way right and left these days. :D

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »
I spread the Avene on my face, then used a dampened the Clarisonic brush. I guess I'll find out in a few days if it's cleaning. Anything that foams on my face or is remotely soapy dries the hell out of my skin. :(

re the pioneering: Well, I have to find other ways to entertain myself since I'm on a fashion no-buy and cosmetic low-buy! :D
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
:rofl:  Well, you're doing this community a great service!  :rofl:  

What next? Glam rock makeup revival, perhaps?

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
Glam rock on me? Now that would be good for a laugh! Don't have the guts, though this lady pulls it off pretty well (and clearly doesn't give a damn)-- but then I'm getting off the subject (again).

Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
Even better if she painted a silver star on her face, a la David Bowie. :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »
Not that I wear tons, but mineral makeup can be persnickety. It takes off eye makeup, too, without burning my eyes or leaving a film.
I read somewhere that soap is best to use for mineral makeup.  I can't remember why but the article said that if you wear mineral makup, soap is the best.  I think to find that article again.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Kelly

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Bah, I am not using soap on my face. You mean bars of stuff that contain lye? :eek:

If I must use soap on my face, I like Basis for Sensitive Skin or Dove Sensitive.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
The article was about going green on beauty products and I believe that she mentioned that she used organic soap and not the commercial ones made in a production line.  I purchased Dr. Bronner's mild baby soap. I like that there's no scent to this one. I haven't tried it yet since I still have plenty of the bar soap from Simone but I'm looking at a lot of organic soaps lately and buying one or two on line.  I've tried Dove and can't get pass the residue left on my skin.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
I can't use soap on my face at all. Even the gentlest one dries me out.

So far, so good with the Avene. My skin has calmed down considerably already.
www.shopquotidienne.com

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of any of the Avene products I've tried over the past few years.  This cleanser is excellent!  It seems to work well both when tissued or wiped off with a cotton pad, or splashed with water, even if that defeats the purpose.  I don't use it because of water issues anyway.  I like it for its gentleness, the thoroughness of the cleansing, the lack of fragrance (I like fragrance in most skin care and makeup products but occasionally one does get tired of being constantly assaulted with scent) and the overall non-gimickyness of it.  It also isn't drying, which is a plus at this time of the year.

Kelly

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
The article was about going green on beauty products and I believe that she mentioned that she used organic soap and not the commercial ones made in a production line.  I purchased Dr. Bronner's mild baby soap. I like that there's no scent to this one. I haven't tried it yet since I still have plenty of the bar soap from Simone but I'm looking at a lot of organic soaps lately and buying one or two on line.  I've tried Dove and can't get pass the residue left on my skin.

I found Dr. Bronner's to be extremely drying over time. And I used the Baby Castille. (Makes an excellent brush cleaner, though.)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »
Thanks ladies, I just ordered one!

I know it is silly to order a no-rinse cleanser, asking if you can use it with water....d´oh...that´s the way I am!

I always cleanse first, rinse, then use Seba-Med to wash my face.

Looking forward to my Avene cleanser! :lust:
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
I don't think it's silly at all, anne! I was thinking the same thing before I ordered it. I tried not rinsing it off last night, just using a tissue, and my skin felt less dry/tight when I rinse it.
www.shopquotidienne.com

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:24 AM »
Update: I've been using this cleanser for maybe 2 weeks now: in the morning with the Clarisonic and alone at night. I rinse it off with water. My skin's been looking great, if I say so myself! Much calmer and the splotches are gone. I've been able to use tretinoin every night, too, which helps.
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
How nice for you!  Maybe this is your HG cleanser!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce