News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: The skeptic speaks: hair cleansing products that contain SLS and ALS  (Read 2276 times)

Kelly

Does anyone besides me think the hair products industry has us over a barrel? I am interested in your opinions and could also use some advice.

I should preface my mini rant by saying that I love the way my hair feels and performs after using the Kerastase Resistance line.

However.

After using it a couple weeks, my hair abruptly turns from silky and bouncy to stiff and strawlike. I can only assume it's product buildup, so I then spend the next couple days clarifying, where my hair feels like a sticky, tacky mess and has no body whatsoever. It's a vicious cycle I've been willing to put up with for the 2-3 weeks where my hair looks really great. But do I really need all that?

All the way through my teens, no one I knew used conditioner. How did we all manage to survive and not go bald?

Here's what I thought about in the shower this morning (where all my bright ideas come, lol): Most shampoos contain sulfates (surfectants), which are the same ingredients used in carpet cleaner, engine degreasers, on ship hulls, in car washes, and other industrial and household cleaning products!

So if we use a shampoo that provides that squeaky-clean feeling, we need to use conditioner or our hair feels like straw, right? I know that I do.

Also, if the shampoo is that good at stripping grease (and depositing polymers to coat the hair shaft), aren't those of us who color our hair washing our money down the drain?

I do love the luxury of sudsy shampoo, but I would really like to stop wasting my money and stripping my hair. I assume I could get away with washing less often if I were not making it squeaky clean every day--the same way my face instantly became less oily when I started using more gentle cleansers on it.

I don't know much about sulfate-free shampoos other than they don't lather a lot. Does anyone here have experience with a SLS/ALS-free shampoo that they can recommend?

Kelly

Re: The skeptic speaks: hair cleansing products that contain SLS and ALS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
Alternatively, I would be interested in "washing" my hair with conditioner, as long as it actually cleaned without stripping (e.g., no SLS/ALS).

Since my hair is so fine, I have to be careful I don't use something too heavy.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
I've been using Deva Care Low Poo for several years now. I still need a conditioner. Even though my hair is fine, it's curly and very dry. I alternate that with a conditioner-only wash using Suave Coconut Conditioner. I'm very pleased, and very rarely need to clarify.

I also have Kirkland's sulfate free Moisturizing Shampoo, but I find that a bit drying. Lots of people over at MUA love it, though. Seems to work better for those with straight hair, so that might be an option for you.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
Thanks, Veuve. Isn't Kirkland a Costco-specific brand?

Never mind, I see that it is, but it does get great reviews on MUA.

I just joined Costco and will get my card in about a week. :angel:

Thanks, Veuve! I figure that $50 membership fee will pay for itself in one trip, if I can pick up all my toiletries there.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
You might want to go with a sulfate-free shampoo, since your hair is not curly or wavy. Otherwise, conditioner-washing will just weigh your hair down. Reason why a lot of us didn't use conditioner is because not all that many people were coloring their hair yet, save for people who bleached their hair blond or something. But back then, shampoos were different, and also a lot of people were not shampooing daily, save for people who really did have very oily hair. Even so, a gentler shampoo would be better, just like a gentler, but effective cleanser is for skin.
For conditioning, since your hair is colored(like many here I'm sure)a silicone-free conditioner might be good too. The thing with 'cones, as they call them over on Naturally Curly website, is that although they might make one's hair LOOK terrific and shiny, they actually act like floor wax, just temporarily filling in the damage. Over time, this coating prevents beneficial moisture from getting into the hair and one ends up with straw-like hair and then one gets into the endless clarify, deep-condition, SLS shampoo/silicone conditioner cycle.
Since my hair is thick and curly, and medium in texture, it LOVES conditioner-washing, and deep moisture treatments. Since I gave up sulfate shampoos, etc. my hair has been in much better condition and curlier to boot.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
Everyone's different, I guess. My hair doesn't mind sulfates, which are really just detergents. Of course, they are a LOT milder than engine de-greasers.The lather air bubbles are just surfactants that are not bonding with the oil on the surface of your hair.

My current favorite shampoo/conditioner is Organix Coconut Milk which doesn't strip my hair or make it "squeaky" clean, and doesn't interfere with coloring. I only need to wash my twice weekly. I color it on a day I plan to shampoo, so it is always "dirty," laden with oil and ready to be washed.

I tried no-poo and CO, and I have to say that, for me, my hair never looked, smelled, or felt clean with these methods. My scalp never felt clean, either. The absolute worst for me was Wen. It left my hair limp and looking like it really needed a good shampooing. A case of adding insult to injury, considering the price of this stuff. And, if you have long hair, they suggest you use 60 "pumps" per shampoo!

When I had a deep, old fashioned, soaking tub I washed my hair in the bath. It was never healthier or shinier. Lather and dunk. Condition and dunk. Done. :) I haven't been able to do this for a few years, and I miss it.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »
I think the conditioner only method works for very dry hair. I do this but still shampoo once a week. Conditioners have no ingredients that really clean the hair, even the "cleansing" conditioners. I could go a week without shampooing and my hair wouldn't get oily.

If you have hair that has the potential to get oily, you need a shampoo that cleans. It can be sulfate-free, but has do have some kind of cleanser in it.

My favoriate sulfate-free shampoo is TIGI Rockaholic. I use the "matching" conditioner as well. Again, dry hair needs conditioner, but if your hair tends to get dragged down with buildup, maybe just a light spray detangler is all you need. I've used conditioner forever -- starting with Breck Creme Rinse and Wella Balsam.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
When I had a deep, old fashioned, soaking tub I washed my hair in the bath. It was never healthier or shinier. Lather and dunk. Condition and dunk. Done. :) I haven't been able to do this for a few years, and I miss it.
I hadn't thought about this in years!  This was how I always washed my hair growing up.  It was very relaxing.  We used cream rinse in those days, not conditioner.

Zuzu - I have actually been shampooing only twice a week lately, trying to eliminate the static I get this time of year.  I never thought I could do this, but it is working.  I rinse well with warm water and then condition at night.  In the morning I rinse again and blow dry.

I have used shampoos without sulfates and liked them.  They take some getting used to, but I think they rinse out more easily, which is good for our fine hair.  You will just have to try it for yourself and see.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce