News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Cuticle s.o.s.  (Read 2338 times)

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Cuticle s.o.s.
« on: February 26, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
Happens every winter. Even though I moisturize and oil my hand/cuticles/wear cotton gloves at night, my cuticles and the skin right around my nails gets all dry and peely. Can anyone recommend a product for this? I've used Sally Hansen's oil and Burt's Bees cutlcle butter, eucerin, AmLactin, coconut oil...

Help?  :puzzled:
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

Re: Cuticle s.o.s.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
How often do you moisturize your hands during the day?

I'd get terrible hangnails all winter, but this year, I put a small bottle of hand lotion on the window ledge over the kitchen sink, and every time my hands get wet, I moisturize them after.

My cuticles have been much happier this year.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
I agree that frequency of use is important.  I get my best help, however, from what I put on right before bed.  The best thing I have used this winter has been plain jojoba oil.  My mom started using it when Dr. Oz mentioned it on his show, and this is the first year her fingertips have not cracked.

Still on my list to try is the Healthy Hoof that ddgattina told us about.
http://thetimelessbeauty.com/tips-toes/anyone-here-use-healthy-hoof-%28or-similar%29-nail-treatments/
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »
Veuve, do you wear night gloves?  These helps me.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
She said that she does, but I don't know how often. 

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »
I do use gloves at night, maybe twice a week?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

I guess I need to start using cream during the day. I wash my hands a lot, but to be honest, I hate the feeling of most creams (they take forever to sink in). So I usually use a cream at night. As I said, a few times a week I really slop on whatever it is I'm using and wear gloves.

I will look for "Healthy Hoof"-- I don't think I have ever seen it.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:58:58 AM »
Veuve, a rich cream that I love, which sinks into my skin quickly, is Nivea Body Essentially Enriched Daily Lotion for Very Dry, Rough Skin. I keep a pump bottle in the bathroom and a smaller squeeze bottle in the kitchen.

In winters past, I'd get KP on my thighs and upper arms, but not this year, after finding a bottle someone had behind in the ladies room at work. I tried it after washing my hands with that nasty industrial soap, and I was instantly hooked.

Every time I get my hands wet I squeeze a dab the size of a hazelnut in my palm and massage in, concentrating on fingertips. If there is any excess left over (not usually) I "dry off" my hands on my torso--under my clothes, of course. :wink:

This lotion has saved my hands this winter, and literally within a minute, I can hold a pen or a coffee cup, basically go about my daily business without greasy mitts.

Another thing I used to do was use my lip balm on my cuticles. I was using Badger Balm, and it was so easy to dab the stick on my cuticles (made mostly of olive oil and shea butter), but I rarely use that any longer now that I have switched to LipFusion and Peter Thomas Roth Un-wrinkle Balm. If you're using something like that (e.g., Julie Hewett Camellia Balm), you could also use that on your cuticles.

I don't wear gloves at night or do any special hand treatment. It's cold and dry as ____ up here, my hands are in water all the time (I hand wash just about everything), and my cuticles are soft and snaggle free.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:44 AM »
She said that she does, but I don't know how often. 
I really do need to have my eyes check really soon!  :D

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »
I do use gloves at night, maybe twice a week?

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

I guess I need to start using cream during the day. I wash my hands a lot, but to be honest, I hate the feeling of most creams (they take forever to sink in). So I usually use a cream at night. As I said, a few times a week I really slop on whatever it is I'm using and wear gloves.

I will look for "Healthy Hoof"-- I don't think I have ever seen it.
I wear mine every other night. And, I think it was T (?) that mentioned that she used Mineral oil on her cuticle. I had purchased a small bottle eons ago and I was about to toss it when I read the thread about using it on your cuticle at night. I use it twice a week with the gloves at night and I'm really happy with the result. 

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »
Interesting -- the next ingredient after water in the Nivea is mineral oil.  Another one that has worked for me is Keri Dry Skin Lotion.  First ingredient water; second is mineral oil.  It sounds as if oils are the key, and it may not matter if it is a cheap, lowly one!

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
I love Healthy Hoof for nails, but for extremely dry skin and cuticles, I don't think it is enough.  The most intense treatment I've found to use with gloves at night is Bag Balm. It's messy, greasy and  slightly smelly, but holy moly, it works extremely well.  If you can't stand that, perhaps layer a little oil (like jojoba or almond oil) under a thicker cream.  Dermatologists used to recommend crisco for irritated skin.  It provides a great barrier, which helps the oil stay next to your skin, and not get absorbed by the gloves. 

For daytime use, I've recently become a fan of Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Ointment.  It's not really an ointment, it actually absorbs or disappears pretty quickly.  You can actually use a computer keyboard after a moment or two!  I'd like to find something more natural, but this formula has done more for my winter-dry, too-much handwashing, cracked skin than any other daytime treatment. 

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
I use Egyptian Magic every night in winter. No gloves. No hangnails. :)
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.