News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Sunscreen experts- your help is needed!  (Read 3841 times)

LauraJ

• Silver Member
Sunscreen experts- your help is needed!
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
I am so confused!  Trying to find sunscreen for myself and my 5 yo, has been as tedious as trying on jeans or getting the right foundation.  I have been Googling nonstop, it seems, now I am just as confused. :gaah:

I am mainly looking for a ss w/a high PPD (face & body).  I hear so much about Anthelios, but I cannot tolerate chemical ss.  My son also has eczema on his face, so I would think that a physical ss would probably be his best bet.  I am very happy w/ my Citrix spf 30, but that will not cut it at the lake this summer.

1.  Will any product with avobenzone cancel out my spf?  Becca LSF has it and was wondering if it makes my Citrix spf 30 pointless.  I keep finding info about avobenzone and MMU, but I don't use MMU.

2.  Does anyone know of a website that list chemicals that should not go together with sunscreens and MU?

3.  Do you know the PPD of your ss?  What is the product and the PPD, if you do?

Any suggestions, your experiences...are all welcome!

Kelly

Re: Sunscreen experts- your help is needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
I am very sensitive to chemical sunscreens, and I have done very well with Solar Sense, a physical one. It's sold all over, but I most recently bought mine at Amazon. I got the 50 SPF with Aloe.

Unfortunately, Anthelios killed my face. A good face sunscreen for me is Elta MD. The derm gave it to me after every IPL and V-beam treatment (talk about a sensitive face!) and it was very soothing and non greasy.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
I can't use chemical sunblocks either. Despite the fact that one snarky MUAer commented that the CosMedix Reflect SPF30(physical block with titanium dioxide) was "better than nothing", I find it's FINE for my face. In fact, it's made the difference between me wearing sunblock or not, since so many other sunblocks either burned me(the chemical ones)or left me looking like Casper the friendly ghost or clogged/broke me out/left really unpleasant finish. Sticking with my CosMedix here. I just use this on face, so the bottle lasts a long time.

LauraJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
one snarky MUAer
Which is exactly why I am asking here :wink:.  I feel that I can admit to my ignorance without being made to feel like a dolt.

Zuzu- thanks for your response!  Elta is a brand that I have been eyeing on skincare sites.

Kelly

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
Elta is a brand that I have been eyeing on skincare sites.

So far, after more than a month of daily use, it's been great. So good, in fact, I recently bought the huge pump bottle!

Another one you might consider (for yourself anyway) is Clinique City Block. Last time I wore it, it contained physical sunscreens, and it had a light flesh-toned tint.

LauraJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
Great idea Zuzu!  I used City Block in the past and was happy with it...not sure why I stopped ???   I might have to try this one again.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
I'll have to check out City Block. I haven't been that great in really putting on sunscreen. A lot of the product I used on my face have enough but this had me thinking about other parts of my body. I've been good in staying away from the sun and sufferring thru wearing  long sleeves during the summer but I guess I should just bit the bullet and look into buying a good sunblock for any exposed skin during the summer.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Kelly

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
Honestly, if I hadn't abused my skin so badly in my teens/20s to the point that I now have rosacea/pigmentation, I would not bother with sunscreen unless I planned to be outside all day.

I always try to remember balance and moderation, because vitamin D from the sun is one of the the most natural and effective forms of cancer prevention there is.

The ONLY reason I wear sunscreen on my face now is because I paid all that money for laser treatment to remove the brown bits from my face. And also because I continue to use treatments that thin the skin and make it photosensitive.

On a day-to-day basis, going from the car to the office (especially in winter), I am not convinced sunscreen is necessary; it's not as if the sun were evil, something to be avoided at all costs. In fact, part of me thinks that chemical sunscreens are what's evil. But we already had that conversation in another topic. :wink:

Kelly

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
If I were to love my life over, this would be my anti aging regimen:

1. Never burn in the sun but do get some exposure
2. Eat real, whole food
3. Drink lots of water
4. Consume moderate amounts of green tea, black coffee, and very dark chocolate (antioxidants)
5. Get plenty of sleep
6. Sweat a little every day
7. Minimize consumption of refined carbs
8. Laugh

That's my sunscreen plan for the reincarnated me. Of course I'll probably come back as a tortoise. :rollseyes:

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »

2. Eat real, whole food
3. Drink lots of water
4. Consume moderate amounts of green tea, black coffee, and very dark chocolate (antioxidants)
5. Get plenty of sleep
8. Laugh

That's my sunscreen plan for the reincarnated me. Of course I'll probably come back as a tortoise. :rollseyes:

Excellent plan, Zuzu. I will probably be reincarnated as a sloth. :grin:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:27:51 AM by Zuzu's Petals »
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

2. Eat real, whole food
3. Drink lots of water
5. Get plenty of sleep
8. Laugh

Excellent plan, Zuzu. I will probably be reincarnated as a sloth. :grin:

I'm hoping butterfly so that I don't have to worry about makeup.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:28:14 AM by Zuzu's Petals »
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

LauraJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
I checked out the City Block again and it is not how I remember it.  It was very watery, thin and seemed oily.  When I used this in 2001, I remember it being thicker in consistency and having a little more coverage.  It was a tester of course- I shook it- and it still looked awful.

I know they have discontinued/reformulated this product several times- so it could be completely different product by now.  I'll have to check another store...

Kelly

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »
Disappointing. They must have changed the formula to be more like Anthelios, full of silicones.

I also remember it being thick with good coverage, like the texture of Smooth Operator.  Speaking of, have you tried that? Tarte has lots more colors now, and it's pretty decent. I am fairly certain it's physical sunscreen, too.

You won't want to get an older tube of the City Block, even if you can find one, Laura. Doesn't that stuff expire?

LauraJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 12:15:49 AM »
I'm going to try the Smooth Operator tomorrow, Zuzu.  I have a sample, but I think it is a tad dark.

Yes, the City Block did have that very silicone feel- very slippery >:(

merlot

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
I wore City Block all the time in the eighties.  I used to buy it to get the GWP's.  It did have a slightly thick texture that stuck to the skin well.

Now, is it chemical sunscreens you need to wear for photos?  Years ago, I went on a trip and my pictures looked horrendous because of my sunscreen.  I don't want that to happen this year.

Also, I love Elta MD.  I hope to always have this on hand.  I also use Cerave AM, which I quite like.