News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Threading!  (Read 3159 times)

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
Threading!
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »
Has anyone been threaded?

It seemed to be BIG in London, there were Blink Brow Bars seemingly everywhere (Selfridges, Harvey Nichols....) and most other salons seemed to feature it as well. Women were lined up to get the drop-in appointments.

I caved and had to try it.  First I had brows done, and that was marvelous. Very quick, and since it removes all the hair (much like waxing, but is gentler) it really opens up the eye area.  So then I asked about upper lip and chin.  I don't have dark hair there, just the (normal?) blond fuzz, but vanity called, and I wondered how that would look completely threaded. 

OUCH.  Much more sensitive areas!  And while I had no irritation around the brows, these areas got a bit pink.  Not too bad, and it faded fairly quickly.  I liked the look and feel.  But the next day I had some breakouts in exactly these areas.  With one exception, these were small and subsided quickly.  Nevertheless, I won't do this again, except possibly brows.  Just not worth the risks or expense.

Has anyone else experienced threading and its aftermath? Has anyone learned to do it themselves?

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Threading!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
I have been getting my brows threaded for several years-- can't do waxing since I use AHAs and retin-A. I love it. It's fast, very little discomfort (it varies from person to person), and as you say, really opens up your eye area. I have pretty sensitive skin-- I'm always bright pink around my brows for an hour or so, but rarely get breakouts from threading (got them from waxing, though).

Upper lips are very sensitive. I have pale blonde fuzz and use an Epicare wand (same idea as threading but it's a metal spring thingy). It hurts like hell, but I've gotten used to it and don't have to do it all that often any more. Epicare is probably not as good as getting threaded in a salon, but my lip is so sensitive I would be yelling.

There are several YouTube videos on how to do threading, but I haven't gotten the hang of it.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »
I learned to thread my upper lip area from a YouTube video after learning about this whole concept on MUA a few years ago.  I would never go near my brows myself - I don't think I'd have very good control.  But its easy to get around your mouth. 

Yes, the lip is sensitive, but once you get started and feel the stinging, I find that the pain threshold has been reached and the rest goes just fine.  I get a bit of redness that fades after a few minutes, but it has never caused me to break out.

I'm glad I learned this method of self threading.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
Poppy, do you happen to remember the YouTube video?
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:01:39 AM »
A good friend of mine has hers done regularly in the mall!  It's great.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
Veuve, I did not save the link, as it is a straightforward concept once you understand it.  About 9 months ago we were having this discussion, and I tried to find it on YouTube to no avail.  But there are many good tutorials there to get you going; just search under Threading.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
I just got back from having my brows threaded! They look so much better. I love my brow girl-- she keeps me in line. She knows if I overpluck, so she's pretty much broken me of the habit, and my brows look so much better for it! But she's very much in demand and I usually have to book an appointment with her weeks ahead of time. Worth it, though.

No worries, Poppy-- and thanks for checking for me. I'll look through YouTube.
www.shopquotidienne.com

Anita

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
I thought threading was way, way, way too painful.  I have my brows and entire face waxed every 6 weeks and I would rather do that than go through threading ever again.  The woman who does my brows is an artist. 

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
Haha, my brow girl was telling me that more and more men are coming in to have threading or waxing done these days. She says they are babies! One guy was yelling really loud as she waxed his brows. :D

She is so fast with threading I hardly feel anything. Upper lip, though, I do myself. It is painful. I can't wax, though (AHAs and Retin-A use).
www.shopquotidienne.com

hopflower

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
It is big here, too, but I don't have enough brow to do it. I don't need it anyway. But London always has the latest and greatest techniques in fashion and form; so am not surprised.

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5KvEax0TNE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

This young girl posted a very detailed, helpful how-to about threading.  She is very natural and conversational, and the how-to part is very clear.  I found it particularly honest that she admitted that the demo on upper lip might make her cry.  This area would be hard to self-do.  Maybe after a couple margaritas?

I think I'm going to try this on my legs first.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
It is an Asian thing. A few years ago I had a girl in my form who was a genius at threading, all the other girls lined up at lunch break to have their eyebrows done. The 'queen' of threading is Shavata and she also sells eyebrow kits.Whereabouts did you have yours done, ddgatina, Selfridges or John Lewis?

victoryn123

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 12:57:43 AM »
It s defintely an asian thing, but I wish I could get someone in LA who does it properly! Lucky for me I go back to Asia-where I used to lve before moving to LA 2 years ago-  every 3 months and see my usual girl to have it done. I never realized how much I would miss it until I left asia.
I do not do anything else to my eyebrows, and never will, pluckng, waxing and so on doesn't help with the definition of your brows, threading does help the hair grow exactly where you want it.

Kelly

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »
Welcome, victoryn123. :)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »
For the uncoordinated, like me, you can try this:
http://www.beautythreader.com/
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin