News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hair loss, deficiencies and supplements  (Read 1877 times)

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
Hair loss, deficiencies and supplements
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
A short story, in case it can help anyone else:
I began to have excessive hair loss about a year ago.  I saw bigger wads in the drain strainer after shampooing, and also more when I brushed.  A few months later, I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, and I  hoped that medication for that would stabilize the hair loss. But it didn't happen, in fact the drop rate increased!  My hair still grows really fast (I have to touch up every 3 weeks) but was falling scary fast.   Mentioned it to my doctor, who ordered a few more blood tests and sent me to a dermatologist.  Turned out I was deficient in both B12 and iron.  (I am a vegetarian, but my non-veg mother has the same problems, so it is probably age and heredity related.)  I started supplements for both (don't do this for iron without physician advice, as too much iron can cause problems too).  Haven't had the follow-up blood test yet, but after about 6 weeks of supplements, the drop rate has declined pretty dramatically. (KNOCK WOOD) 

Moral of the story: don't assume that hair loss is necessarily just age-related.  It's worth talking to your doctor, and be VERY specific when you do.  My hair still looks pretty thick (started out with extremely thick hair) , but I actually counted hairs dropped for a while (OK, I counted to understand what 20 hairs looked like, then I averaged) , so I had numbers to give them.  I think going in with numbers always makes them take things seriously, because then they have a "fact" instead of a "feeling" or a "worry". 

I learned a real lesson here, because I assumed that because my mother has this problem, it was just heredity, and I had to deal with it.  I almost didn't mention it to my doctor.  And the dermatologist agreed that it is best to seek assistance early if you have something like this going on.

Kelly

Re: Hair loss, deficiencies and supplements
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
I'm glad you got it figured out, dd. Armour (thyroid replacement) also made my hair fall out faster, even my Free T3 and Free T4s were in the top third of the range, which is where my doctor wanted it. I also had B12 and ferritin tested. All within range. :(

My hair also grows back quickly, but it's just maintaining stasis from the huge loss I sustained. And I am tired of the constant frizzy halo from the new hair, that wold otherwise blend into the more numerous locks, if I had any.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Thanks for the head's up and I'm glad you found a solution, dd.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
Thanks for the head's up and I'm glad you found a solution, dd.
:ditto: I appreciate the info.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Mim

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
How much B-12 are you taking?

Anita

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
That's great that the doctor listened to you and found the source of the problem.

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
How much B-12 are you taking?

Sorry I didn't answer this, I am taking 2 1000mcg tablets per day. 

All the B vitamins are water soluble, and there is no danger of an overdose because you pee the excess away. 

This is not true for oil-soluble vitamins like A and E, so avoiding an overdose there is important because they accumulate in the body.