News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?  (Read 1662 times)

marci65

• Platinum Member
MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »
My annual bonus pays out this week. Got more than I was expecting!!  Yay!!!
Have been wanting a laptop for a while. To celebrate, I am finally going to buy a Mac.  We have a Windows/PC desktop in case we need to do anything Windows-based.

I am not very techie. I am going to get the AppleCare plan for 3 years to cover me.
I am leaning toward cheapest MacBook Pro because it has a CD/DVD drive and a slightly larger screen than the cheapest MacBook Air.

Any opinions to help confirm my decision or sway me the other way? 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
Re: MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »
I found that the 3 year plan was well worth it, just for the technical assistance, both in store and by phone.  If you are primarily using it at home, definitely go for the bigger screen and dvd drive, but if you intend to carry it around and use it around town or while travelling, just be sure to consider how much you want to carry/lug.  For travel and carrying around, my personal choice was for the smaller/lighter computer (though that had to be a PC, for work). 

I'm lusting after an ipad, but want to wait and see what the next release brings.

Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
Congrats on your bonus!

I agree with ddgatina's advice about the style. You can still carry your MacBook around to coffee shops, ect., but if you like to be extremely portable, go for the Air. Just know you give up some functionality for convenience.

I never buy additional warranties, but I also agree that it's worth it for the Mac--especially for someone learning a new operating system. Not that you need to know much, but the way you download and install programs is a lot different from what you're used to on a PC.

If you want to read about how to use your Mac, I can't recommend Pogue's book enough: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual. I have the previous version (three years old now!), and it very quickly taught me many things I might not have stumbled across on my own.

No more spyware and antivirus definitions!

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
Zuzu, I added that book to my Amazon list.

Thanks for confirming that I am not out of my mind thinking that the AppleCare expense would be a good investment, at least this first time around. I don't usually dont do extended warranty stuff either but I may need some hand-holding on various tasks. Especially since my somewhat techie DS is not going to be around a lot to show ms how to do things (time-management-challenged junior in high school).

Odd as it sounds, I don't see myself using the laptop outside of the house much and I have no plans to travel with it. I figure my iPhone can get me through most of my out-of-house needs, and it's much easier to carry.

Kelly

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
Odd as it sounds, I don't see myself using the laptop outside of the house much and I have no plans to travel with it.

Then get the biggest monitor you can afford!

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
Definitely get AppleCare.  Worth it 100%. I love my Mac.  I also have an iPhone [early adopter... now have the latest one] and will be getting iPad this week now that #2 is out.  Mac all the way.  You'll never go back.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
I will be getting an iPhone now that Verizon is an option.

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
I will be getting an iPhone now that Verizon is an option.
Me too, but I'm waiting until summer -- there's supposed to be a newer version coming out.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

Kelly

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:18 AM »
Right, I am in no hurry. It seems that with each release, they get cheaper, too.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
I decided on the MacBook Pro 13".   And AppleCare.  Had fun playing with it this weekend. And was on the phone with Apple for at least an hour getting help on first iPhone and iPod synchs to iTunes using the new laptop. Now I just have to figure out how to print from it.

Kelly

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
Yay! Exciting.

I remember my first weekend trying to use the Apple Airport (wireless router).