News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Cute little boxes  (Read 3989 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Cute little boxes
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
Do you ever buy stuff just because ‘it looks so cute’? I am ashamed to say this… I know that I ought to know better at my age, but I am a bit of a magpie. Yesterday I went out really early because I wanted to be fitted for a bra. Shops get really busy on Saturday so I was determined to get to the West End by 9:30am and get the fitting done and then meet my friend for coffee. But I arrived too early and the place I had selected for the fitting wasn’t open, so I went to the department store next door. Wandering through the empty shop,  saying polite ‘good-mornings’ to assistants cleaning shelves and checking displays, my eyes fell on a display of little tin boxes, each one with a different design on the lid. This is beginning to sound like Alice in Wonderland. By now the Mad Queen should pop up from under a counter and shriek ‘Off with her head’; instead a sales assistant with long black hair, a nose ring and an enticing smile appeared. No doubt having noticed the glint in my beady eye, she started spinning a yarn about the little boxes. They contained a magic potion called ‘Steam Cream’ –some of you may have heard of this concoction? Now steam cream sounds like something that generates little puffs of smoke when you apply it to your face, but in fact, the name derives from the technique used to blend it! Fascinating. The things you learn.
I picked up a box: it had a little round sticker proclaiming it the winner of some beauty award. The nice SA went on pleasantly about the ‘pure ingredients, blah blah blah, organic this and certified that, but, quite frankly she needn’t bother because Milla’ s metamorphosis into The Magpie was already well underway.
I bought not one, not two, but three of the little boxes (special offer, 1 box £10.50 3 boxes £28 it’s a no –brainer)-one for my sister-in-law, another for a colleague who has just returned to work after maternity leave and the third for myself.
The boxes are cute. One has a peacock design, another was a ‘night sky’ design, and the one I am keeping for myself has a blue rose.
But the wonderful steam cream? What is it like? Well it smells strongly of lavender oil when you first apply it but then it turn into almond oil and it fades quite quickly. It is supposed to be an all-purpose cream-face and body- but I am not brave enough to use it on my face. I have been using it as a hand cream because it is non-greasy and one of the reasons I don’t use hand creams is that I find them  all too greasy. It is pleasant to use but not very moisturising (You can read the reviews in MUA, I checked it last night).

But the boxes are very sweet and you might even say, collectible (this last sentence was the Inner Magpie talking).

hopflower

Re: Cute little boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
I hate to say this milla, but yes; I bet I, too, would have succumbed. Not often, but I have! :lol:

Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
This is beginning to sound like Alice in Wonderland. By now the Mad Queen should pop up from under a counter and shriek ‘Off with her head’

:rofl:

I have never heard of steam cream, but I am a sucker for pretty packaging.

Now steam cream sounds like something that generates little puffs of smoke when you apply it to your face, but in fact, the name derives from the technique used to blend it!

:rofl:

Please entertain us every weekend.

Kelly

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
Speaking of cute packaging, I have always loved Badger Balm.

I LOVE badgers. They are so fierce. Badgers and wombats. Cuuuute.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
This is what the boxes look like:

http://www.steamcream.eu/gallery-424-0.html

I bought
  • Blue Secret
    Gaudy
    Planetarium

Kelly

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
Very pretty! I love Gaudy. What an interesting name. I don't think it is gaudy at all.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
I would not have resisted them either, milla!  Little tin containers with artwork seem so nostalgically retro, and you can always find a way to enjoy them when the product's gone.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
I would still be standing there trying to choose.  Those are adorable.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

bigstormgirl

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:14:48 PM »
These are so cool looking.  I would love to get my hands on the Swarovski crystal tin.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/pommom_photos/?action=view&current=SteamCreaminSwarovski.jpg&newest=1
Cindy
NC20-25, Oily skin
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Henna

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
SteamCream looks like it could be related to LUSH products. Just a feeling. It's even located in Poole, where LUSH has its headquarters. Hmmm.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

hopflower

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
They are indeed wonderful. And as I mentioned, I would definitely have succumbed!

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Really, Milla, I think you showed admirable restraint in only purchasing three.  And, just think, if you hadn't been early for your appointment you would have been blissfully unaware of these little beauties!  Thank you for showing them to us.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
Really, Milla, I think you showed admirable restraint in only purchasing three. 
Move over, milla, I'll be there for days!  Those are quite lovely!  I would be buying three for me and maybe 10 or so for gifts.  It's bookmarked!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:23 AM »
The boxes have been very well received. I would not say that the cream is a life -changing product but it is pleasant to use. I think that the company may be related to Lush.
I do love nice boxes and tubs, especially slightly retro ones. What can I do?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
The boxes have been very well received. I would not say that the cream is a life -changing product but it is pleasant to use. I think that the company may be related to Lush.
I do love nice boxes and tubs, especially slightly retro ones. What can I do?
But, the cute boxes can be reused, right?  So, I would say, buy more, dear milla.  :wink:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves