News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Emu Oil  (Read 5117 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Emu Oil
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »
I've been reading about Emu Oil in the last couple of days and was interested to find out if any of you ladies had used it and what do you use for?

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you! :popcorn:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Emu Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
The only thing I remember hearing about emu oil was that it was supposed to help with arthritis.  I didn't put much stock in the idea at the time and never tried it on my aches and pains.

What did you hear about it that prompted you to ask, SusieQ?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
Emu oil is rendered from the thick layer of subcutaneous fat on the back of the emu bird. Most commonly, it is used for the production of cosmetics but has also been proven to have medical properties, as an intensive pain reliever used in the treatment of chronic arthritis, strains, sprains, and muscle pain. It is also widely used as a wound healing accelerant. The fatty acids in it (lineolic acid, I think?) are nearly identical in composition to human's, so it has transdermal properties.

It's been used for thousands of years in Australia. Used as a moisturizer it actually redensifies the skin, increasing skin thickness by 200-300% (according to clinical studies). It has no known side effects, but if you have allergies to birds, you probably don't want to use it.

I have a small vial of it in my first-aid kit at work and keep a bottle of it at home because it reduces the pain and swelling of a sprain within 20 minutes. It works faster than ibuprofen. I also use it on my face when my mild rosacea gets aggravated by a skin care product. I pat in onto my cheeks at night and it reboots my skin. No more intense redness. Ive been too chicken to use it under my eyes (for that redensifying property), but I've read reviews from women who have used it effectively for this purpose. I do use it on my chest and decolletage in the summer. It makes a difference in how I look in those low cut necklines. :)

Much has been written about it, but for a brief outline of what it can do for you, see:

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/emu_wonder.htm

I bought mine from:

http://www.proemu.com/product_shop.php?pcnm=Emu%20Oil

ETA: Yesterday I twisted my ankle (grrr, heels!) when I stepped out my front door onto my porch. Ouch! I kept on going, though, because I was late. By late afternoon, when I got out of those shoes, I couldn't put my weight onto my left foot without wanting to scream.

I massaged some emu into my ankle and instep, lay down and elevated my foot with 2 pillows. The pain eased quickly and I was able to get a nap, When I awoke, my ankle was back to normal. Today, it's like it never happened. :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:02:32 AM by Tupelo »
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »
Obviously, I should have paid more attention to what I was hearing about this stuff!  You know, we get so many quack claims to help what ails us that I have become a complete skeptic.  It makes all the difference in the world to me to have a positive review from someone whose knowledge I trust.  (i.e. Tupelo :-*)

Now I am interested!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
Thanks, T!  I haven't read about that, yet. But, WOW. I got interested because it supposed to help with eyelash growth and keep them healthy and strong. Also read that it's a "pusher". It penetrates the skin efficiently.  So, added to moisturizer it sinks faster and further into your skin. I'm skill doing some research. 

Also, a week ago work was causing me some stress and I broke out in hives. A couple of big hives decides to materialize on my face. I read that it help elevate itch. So, I run to the health store next to my office and bought a small bottle. The .5 cost about $6.  I dabbed a little bit on two of the big giant itching hives and within minutes, the swelling and itching were gone!  I've since purchased a bitter bottle from Vitacost.

Read on Blu-Emu:  Is Emu Oil Safe?
“The incredible healing properties possessed by emu oil and its unsurpassed ability to penetrate the skin seem almost too good to be true. The natural question arises, “Is Emu oil safe?” The answer is “YES”. Further scientific inquiry has shown that properly rendered emu oil, so closely resembling the oil in human skin, is absolutely hypoallergenic. It has “the allergic potential to water”.”

I’m continuing my research and would be interested to if you can add it into your serums.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
Really?   :eek:

I am very surprised I have never heard from it before!

Sounds almost like a cure-all.

Does it have a smell, if yes, could you described it a bit please?
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
No smell at all. If your bottle smells, there's something wrong with it and you should return it or toss it. It also won't stain your clothes or towels, sink, or skin.

While not a cure-all, it is a very helpful first-aid and skin care item to have on hand. It's renowned for it's anti-infammatory and analgesic properties. It's a good greaseless, hypoallergenic moisturizer, too.

I don't know if it works as an additive to serums.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
Really?   :eek:

I am very surprised I have never heard from it before!

Sounds almost like a cure-all.

Does it have a smell, if yes, could you described it a bit please?
The one that I purchased the health store near work has a slight scent. Slight scent of vitamin E. But, I just got my Emu Oil by EMU Essentials from VitaCost and has no scent at all. The consistency is also different. The EMU essentials is thicker and placed a bit on my hands and it just melt right into my skin. I wonder if the one I bought from the store near work has gone bad?  Tupelo has used this before, she may have a better idea when it goes bad. Also, the different consistency may have something to do with the manufacturer.  

The one from vitacost has been sitting on my hands for over a minute now and my hands feels really smooth and silky.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »
No smell at all. If your bottle smells, there's something wrong with it and you should return it or toss it. It also won't stain your clothes or towels, sink, or skin.

Oh, thanks, T. The one from the store is going down the drain.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
It sounds as if your store bottle might have other ingredients blended with the emu oil.  Is that possible? 

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
Forgot to mention: before using emu oil, run a glassful of hot water from the tap and drop the bottle in few a few minutes to warm the oil. It makes the oil absorb more quickly.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
Good tip! 

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 02:56:16 AM »
I think I need some!

Somehow the thought of it being bird fat puts me off though. Poor bird...Odd, as I eat meat. But, we are not always rational beings. At least I am not.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »
Here is where I've purchased my  Emu Oil:

http://www.kalayaemuestates.com/index.html
Kalaya Emu Estates
They also sell the meat & emus!  (Take a look at the cute baby emu chicks  :D)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask