News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: How do you part with your old clothing?  (Read 3727 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
How do you part with your old clothing?
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
I have a closet, full of clothes that I don't wear because they do not fit me.  Unfortunately I've grown too big for these clothes.  :-[
I also have the perfect place to give them to - my church accepts gently worn clothing for their rummage sale twice a year to raise money for some very good causes. 

I just can't seem to motivate myself to try them on (it'll be depressing).  Also I keep thinking 'what if I lose weight?' and 'what if I have no money to buy new clothes IF I lose weight?'   I'm full of excuses! :rollseyes:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: How do you part with your old clothing?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
First, you know your donation will go to a good cause, and you can use the value of the clothes if you itemize deductions on your taxes.  They are worth more than you think.

Second, visualize your tidy closets, holding only clothes that you can wear and feel good in.  When you go to clean things out, only try on the things you aren't sure about.  Don't make it a marathon of things that are obviously not going to fit.  You could keep a few nice things if they are close to being the right size.

Third, be realistic.  If you lose weight, do you really want a lot of old things to wear or a few new ones to celebrate?  You will appreciate having a closet filled with things that fit either way it goes.

Now get in there and make some piles...WEAR, DONATE, and SAVE FOR LATER. :cheer:
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
I also have a load of stuff that I could wear again 'if only' some weight.. But let's face it, it's not going to happen.I order to loose that last half stone I know that I really have to be strict.  So I got rid of all the clothes I haven't worn in the last couple of years bar a few items which I just want to keep-for my daughter maybe. In a decade this stuff will be 'vintage' :lol:
It is great to have a tidy wardrobe, it's good Feng-shui. Go for it.

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
Lucy, it sounds as if the 'trying them on' part is what's holding you back.  So why try them on?  If you know they don't fit you and you aren't wearing them, set them free!  I always find that advice about trying everything on in your closet when you're paring down completely defeating, so I feel your pain.  I would get exhausted just thinking about it and I've never even had a wardrobe stuffed to the gills.

Also, Makinalist made some great, salient points, especially about not feeling enthusiastic about your old clothes again if you do lose weight.  Think positve, girl!  We'd come over there and help you stuff those boxes if we could!  :)

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »
Keeping clothing that you "may" eventually fit into is setting yourself up for failure. This is especially true if the clothing is of a size that is unrealistic for you to attain in the near future. If you must hold on to anything, pick one or two classic, well-made items. I ended up giving some blazers that never go out of style to my daughter! Everything else has been donated and the freed-up closet space is fantastic. So is the tax break. :lol:
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
There you go!  Feng Shui, tax deductions, the possibility of new things, plus more closet space -- it's all good!  No more excuses. 

Oh - and I only meant for you to try on something if you weren't sure about it fitting or not.  Those would be the only things I would keep as well, just in case...and not many of them at that.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
Don't bother trying them on, Lucy. And if you lose weight, you'll want new things anyway-- even if they are "new" from the consignment shop. Don't overthink it-- just put it all in a box and give it away. Someone else will appreciate them!
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
Great advice, beauties.  Is springtime, time for spring cleaning and time to lighten up.
There will always be clothes you like to wear no matter what your size, so no need to hang on to old ones. 

Its painful to part with clothes that don't fit - rather feels like a failure.  But its quite freeing to have them out of sight, out of mind.   :D I know.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
You may have gained some weight, but you'll experience a lightness of being when you get rid of the things you can't wear now, especially when you'll be helping someone who really needs them!

I'd start shopping for a few new things that fit well. as soon as I finished the loadout. Forget what the size tag says. Cut the tags off! You are going to look so much better in properly fitting, pretty new things.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »
Here's another idea:  Keep a list of things you know you want to replace soon while you're packing them up.  If you won't have a good pair of black pants when you're finished, put that on the list.  Or a white blouse.  Things that are staples for you and won't be there any more.

Then you and your list go shopping!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:34:16 PM »
I feel you, Lucy. Start with a few stuff and once you see clearing in your closet, you'll be motivated to continue the purging. Good luck!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
I am now going to admit something almost nobody knows, except for my closest friends.  My house has been encumbered by (beautiful) clothes I can no longer fit it.  Reading all this, especially the envisioning part, may be the trick.  I think I'll sell them on ebay and am dismayed at the work.  I searched all over for a women's shelter in the area and there is almost NOTHING and the ones I found don't want clothes.  I really need to just load it up and put them into (many many) clothing bins.  Forget tax write offs.  Just do it.

You have no idea (SilverCrown knows my problem).
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:15:33 AM »
Thank you all for giving me permission to NOT try everything on!  I think that was the most daunting part.  And some of the pieces I probably wouldn't wear again even if I could fit into them!

I am now going to admit something almost nobody knows, except for my closest friends.  My house has been encumbered by (beautiful) clothes I can no longer fit it.  Reading all this, especially the envisioning part, may be the trick.  I think I'll sell them on ebay and am dismayed at the work.  I searched all over for a women's shelter in the area and there is almost NOTHING and the ones I found don't want clothes.  I really need to just load it up and put them into (many many) clothing bins.  Forget tax write offs.  Just do it.

You have no idea (SilverCrown knows my problem).

Ah, Cougar, thank you for sharing in my pain! Misery loves company  :wink:  Though most of my clothing is average, I also have some beautiful things. 
It's a shame that there is no place around for you to donate your beautiful clothes, Cougar!  We have many thrift stores (not to mention church rummage sales) that except clothing.   We also have several clothing bins around.  I'm not sure who benefits?  Possibly the Lupus Foundation.
Just knowing your 'stuff' doesn't get tossed in the trash is a big part of being able to give it up!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
I am also a closet clothing hoarder because when I have something that I like or liked, it is hard to let go.  Even when I know it will never fit  (like my feet are just never going to get smaller!) , or when the color is totally wrong for me.  But when I have bagged things up, finally, and given them to a charity shop (our local humane society has a thrift shop which supports the shelter) I have never ever had another thought about those things again.  Suddenly the things that were "impossible to let go" were...totally forgotten.  Big lesson to me.

Another trick:  box or bag the stuff up.  If you don't go into it for 6 months (or a year for hardcore hoarders) and can't remember what was in there, it makes it much easier to donate.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »
Do you not have any nice consignment stores in your area, either?  Thrift shoppers love finding beautiful, gently-worn clothing, you know. :whistle:

Excellent tip, ddgattina!