News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Effective but gentle eye make up remover  (Read 3590 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Effective but gentle eye make up remover
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
I don't wear a lot of make-up during the week, just mascara and eyeliner (pencil, not liquid)on the upper lid, very close to the lashes, and a little smidgeon on the lower lid; yet it takes me ages to remove it completely at night! I use L'Oreal Eye make up remover, because  it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to spend huge amounts of money on eye make-up remover. However, given the time and the number of cotton wool discs that I use every night,  I am not so sure.... Perhaps it does make sense to spend a little more. Any suggestions on a good eye make -up remover (not oil-based)?

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Effective but gentle eye make up remover
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
The best one I've tried is LaRoche Posay Physiological Micellar Solution. It's very gentle (I wear contacts) and thorough, without oil.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
Is this waterproof mascara and eyeliner?  I can't figure why you would be having so much trouble, unless they are.  Anyway, I have always liked the Neutrogena eye makeup remover.  It's one of those you have to shake before using - dual phase or something like that.  It is 100% oil-free plus it has aloe and cucumber extracts to soothe.  Price is comparable to your L'Oreal.

If you want to spend more, the one by Lancome is also very nice, but I can't say it works any better.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
I have to change my eye makeup remover as well.  I don't wear waterproof mascara or liner but I find the mascara in particular really difficult to remove thoroughly.  I think it has something to do with the hyper pigmentation of the formulas these days, ie. Dior Iconic.  No matter how much I think I have swiped away, there are still traces of it beneath my lower lashes in the morning. 

I'm interested in trying the LaRoche Posay one; thanks for the recommendation BettyBoop.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
I don't wear waterproof mascara, but I still find it quite hard to get rid of it.
I used to buy Lancome many years ago. It isgood, but as far as I can remember it is a bit oily and I am afraid it will make my eyes go puffier!
I will give La Roche Posay a go.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »
I've been using EL Take It Away. But, I get mine at my CCO so I don't pay the full price. I'm on my 4th and I have backups.  It melts everything including waterproof mascara and liner. I haven't tried anything else. I guess this is my HG.  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
It sounds like this is your Hall of Fame eye makeup remover, SusieQ.  Tell me this: if you could no longer get it at your CCO, would you pay full price for it from now on?

That's the acid test!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
It sounds like this is your Hall of Fame eye makeup remover, SusieQ.  Tell me this: if you could no longer get it at your CCO, would you pay full price for it from now on?

That's the acid test!
That's a great question. First, I would try and find a sub at my CCO and if I can't find one, I believe I would pay full price. I use in the shower. I can't get any easier than that for me.  :grin:   I put a small amount and gently rub on my eyes and face and everything goes down the drain.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
What does CCO stand for? (forgive my ignorance)

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »

Cosmetic Company Outlet (a/k/a Cosmetic Company Store). You find them in outlet malls and they sell EL owned company's products. In southeastern PA there is one at Franklin Mills and in Delaware at Rehoboth Beach.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
No, no, Milla. I didn't know what it stood for when I first heard it and the CCO was next door to my work since I started with my firm - 11 years ago.  And, it does say Cosmetic Company Store. This one next to work is by Invitations Only and they are lot of products.  They now carry some Origins products.  There is another LE CCo about an hour away  and Lancome CCO, too.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
I miss shopping in the US! I miss outlet malls! Those words are music to my ears. Alas they also evoque bitter sweet memories of the holidays we had in the US with my sis,ter in law and her husband, who died last year in May. My sister in law and I spend many a happy morning (and afternoon...) hunting for bargains. I'll let you into a secret: next year we both turn 60, and I know for a fact that my DH is giving us a trip to the States as a surprise gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't ask me how I know: I just know :wink:I think he was thinking about NY but last time she was staying with us and we were talking about places we'd love to go back to, she said she really would like to go back to Boston. She has been to NY several times and I've only been once. But I don't mind. More than happy to go to  Boston!

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 04:50:45 PM »
that an exciting secret, millia.  I won't tell.   :highfive:

I have the Target brand of eye m/u remover which is supposed to be just like Neutagena, and my Avene toners and removers - all of which work well.  But the best thing I've used for the removal of a full face of m/u is the DHC olive oil cleanser.  Its my tried and true.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
If I've worn more makeup, I just use plain old extra-virgin olive oil, applied to whole face, and tissued off. Then cleanse with my regular cleanser. But I don't wear mascara, so something more might be needed for those who do.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
I have done this also, cara, and the olive oil took off my mascara just fine.  So does jojoba or coconut oil. :)