News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Dresses!  (Read 2811 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Dresses!
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
I am going to a party at the end of April and in May we have the school's graduation dinner, so I am thinking of getting a new dress

Here's some I have looked at

http://www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1224

http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Dresses/Sabina-Ribbon-Dress/201237153

http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Dresses/Sheer-Jersey-Dress/201234210

and here's one I bought last Summer ( and is now on sale, boohooo!) that I could wear with a little jacket maybe...

What do you think ladies?

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
Re: Dresses!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
I love the jersey dress you already have.  Is it in 'mink', as shown in the photo?  Looks smashing!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »
You know what?  I looked at the dresses before I read Une Femme's comment, and I had the same opinion.  The one you have is the most sophisticated of the lot, and you can change the look by adding a wrap, a short jacket, or a long jersey topper.

How fancy are the occasions you will be wearing the dress for, and will there be some of the same people at both?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »
I like the one you already have, too!  It's sleek and elegant, and you can dress it up with heels and jewelry, a different belt (or no belt), and a dressy evening shrug or wrap.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
You know what?  I looked at the dresses before I read Une Femme's comment, and I had the same opinion.  The one you have is the most sophisticated of the lot, and you can change the look by adding a wrap, a short jacket, or a long jersey topper.

How fancy are the occasions you will be wearing the dress for, and will there be some of the same people at both?

One is my friend's 60th birthday and I can wear the dress with some nice jewellery  (won't need a jacket for that); the other is a bit more formal so I'll need a jacket. Different occasions, different people. I do like the dress, it is a great shape. I think I'll just get the jacket and the accessories...

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »
That sounds good.  Plus you may be able to use the new accessories with other things you own as well.  Now, do you need shoes to go with that? :evil:

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:46:31 AM »
Yeah, I like that mink dress loads.  I wore a mink shaded dress a few springs ago (I didn't realize I could pull of the shade OR that it would work for spring) accompanied by shades of paler raspberry (not overly screaming).  It was quite striking.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
Love your dress, too! I think it looks simply lovely.  Yes, a jacket and accessories will definitely change the look.  You'll be lovely, too, I'm sure!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
Ooo la la!  That is a wonderful dress you have.  Its a color, not a LBD, but its neutral enough to take on lots of different looks for you.   That one is worth full price, often the ones that go on sale are not in the right size. 

You will look great accessorizing that dress for your various functions.  Have fun!

• Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I hope you aren't disappointed that we don't think you need a new dress!  We are simply applauding your good taste in choosing the one you have.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
I hope you aren't disappointed that we don't think you need a new dress!  We are simply applauding your good taste in choosing the one you have.
Not at all, you've saved me some money!The dress is a great fit, but when I put it on the other day, I was not quite sure about it (because of the colour). It looked great in the Summer when I had a bit of a tan.I look pasty and dull at the moment. I wore the dress  to a wedding with a string of pearls (faux, I'm afraid!). I never thought of accessorising it with a contrasting colour such as raspberry but I am going to experiment!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
If you can put a little color near your face, it should help a lot.  Another suggestion would be a turquoise or aqua shade.  I like those with brown, as well as a pink such as Cougar mentioned.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
This was June '07 (when I was svelter, weeps).  You can barely see the pale raspberry pinks but they're little crystals around the neckline, earrings (and shoes you can't see).  I carried a mink-shade satin clutch; I was whisked off to a 5-star restaurant.

Sorry if this picture comes out huge.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
Ohh - I like that combination on you!  And the pretty lip color seals the deal!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
You look beautiful. That is such a successful combination. What lipstick are you wearing?
I am going to try it with some pink jewellery. I also have a turquoise pendant and earrings...