News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My skin suddenly loves BHA.  (Read 4358 times)

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
My skin suddenly loves BHA.
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
Weird. I have tried using Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid repeatedly, but my skin never responded well to it. All of a sudden-- actually ever since I started using the Avene Extra Gentle cleanser-- I have been using it in the morning and my skin loves it. Skipped it for a few days and my skin didn't look as good. Started it up again, and my skin looks clearer and smoother. It's an extra step in my routine but it only takes a few seconds to put it on.

Anyone else had something like this happen to them-- you've never been able to use a product, and then all of sudden it works?

Crazy hormonal skin. *mutters*  :crazy:
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: My skin suddenly loves BHA.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I don't think I have ever kept trying something that didn't work for me in the past.  It just goes to show we should never give up on something entirely.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
How fun to see you have something that works in your drawer already.  Why question success?  I hope it keeps working well for you.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »
Wouldn't it be lovely if we knew which changes were coincidences and which were truly cause and effect?

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
Wouldn't it be lovely if we knew which changes were coincidences and which were truly cause and effect?

Yes it would.

I kept this around because my teenagers use it-- hadn't tried it in a long time, and don't know what prompted me to use it again.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
What else would be lovely is if what works great for one TTBer would also work great for me.

But all the differences keeps the conversation going.   :ignore:
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
You mean like if we had a TTB skin routine that we could all follow?  That would be so cool!

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »
You mean like if we had a TTB skin routine that we could all follow?  That would be so cool!

Yeah, but we are all so complicated!

My theory is that this is a multivariate problem.  We have a our skin, quite unique, which changes over the years, with the seasons and environment,and with whatever else we are using.  So we have to worry about what cleanser/toner we are using, because our skin reacts to that...then on top of all of that it reacts to the new active-- in this case, BHA.  So , for example, I've found I'm better off using a mild cleanser and toner, then a relatively strong BHA tonic.  But if I use a stronger (say one with salicylic or AHAs) cleanser, the additional BHA is too much, too irritating.  How long I wait between cleansing and treating is a big issue too.  Complicated! 
Another reason I believe in changing only one thing at a time.  That way you can tell which product is working (or not).

But in any case, I totally agree about BHAs.  They are fantastic for so many skin issues, especially for keeping pores clear.  But in addition to that, I think they tighten the surface and make the skin reflect light differently.  Love them.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
That makes perfect sense to me.  Since cleansers just get rinsed down the drain, I have always thought they might as well be non-active.  Save the big guns for something that stays on your skin.

Erato

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:02 AM »
Maybe it's the combination with other products you use - like moisturizer or sunscreen?... I absolutely love Paula's Choice BHAs (pity it's so hard to get it in Poland), I have the 2% BHA gel right now and I have noticed that the best results come with the right combination. I apply the gel and than, after 5-10 minutes, a moisturizer. This is my night routine. The skin is very clear and bright in the morning, yet not too dried out or flaky from the acid, as it sometimes happens when I don't mix the acid with something else. So, maybe the important thing is not only WHAT you use, but also HOW you use it.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
"That makes perfect sense to me.  Since cleansers just get rinsed down the drain, I have always thought they might as well be non-active.  Save the big guns for something that stays on your skin."

No can do - my skin DOESN'T like leave-on AHAs at all, but a cleanser with this in in works GREAT for me. I use my AHA cleanser(Aquaglycolic) like a mini-mask(for just 1-5 minutes). There are a lot of people who say that a cleanser can't really make a difference but it does in my case.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
 :lol: Well, there you have it.  Everyone is individual and must find their own path.  But that helps keep the conversations going. 

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
Oh, dear - I didn't mean that cleansers with actives wouldn't work for anyone.  Sorry, cara!  My skin can take the heavier types of treatments, though, so I just don't bother with them in my cleansers. 

Maybe I should try it sometime, though!

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
Are there any other BHA's besides Paula's Choice that anyone would recommend?

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
I have found that the right cleanser makes a profound difference in my skin. My skin doesn't need actives in the cleanser but it has to be super-gentle but still thoroughly cleansing (not clogging and not irritating)-- not so easy to find. I am loving Avene but aware that in the hot summer months I might have to switch back to Paula's Choice One Step (which became too drying for me this winter, after using it for 3 or 4 years).
www.shopquotidienne.com