News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My skin suddenly loves BHA.  (Read 4357 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: My skin suddenly loves BHA.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
You all are really making me wonder if I have been missing something!  I have never been particular about my cleansers and have used many different ones.  For years, when I was much younger, I just used my Pond's and Dove bar soap.  No problems. 

Now I use Albolene, followed by a liquid such as Cetaphil or Paula's Choice One Step.  A couple of times a week I use Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser, which has AHAs and BHAs in it.  I've never been faithful about any of this, though, because I never noticed much difference one way or another.

Maybe my skin just isn't very touchy or reactive.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
Are there any other BHA's besides Paula's Choice that anyone would recommend?

Femme, I have couple to recommend and one to avoid: Neutrogena is way strong, possibly OK for young,tough skin, but not for anyone with any sensitivity.  I think it has menthol or some other minty component that is irritating (and I'm used to acids).

I've been using GoW BHA toners, mostly because I'm buying other stuff their anyway, and because they have so many formulations that vary the strength (2% or 5%) and acidity (pH 1.9 or 3.2) to get the exfoliation you need, but no more. 

They also have a BHA/Azelaic serum that I like a lot.  This one is more gentle than the toners (despite the addition of azelaic acid, both are in lower concentrations) and it has some moisturizing properties (enough for me anyway).  For people who are looking for more moisture, GoW also has a BHA/ Azelaic cream.  I can't use this as I avoid all creams and oils on my skin, but I love the serum version of this. 

The GoW BHA/Azelaic is somewhat like  Jan Marini Bioclear Cream but more gentle.  The Jan Marini products are effective, but don't use natural ingredients.  The cream did good things for my skin however. And don't even think about Bioclear lotion-- it is for the youngest, oiliest, toughest skins only!!!

Finally, the Peter Thomas Roth Peel Pads are EXCELLENT.  I used the Unwrinkle Peel Pads, which have BHAs and other actives (both exfoliators and treatment ingredients) and I did love them.  Perfect for TTB-types, gentle but very effective.  However expensive ($45 for 60 pads, a 2 month supply:-().  I still use these occasionally, but mostly rely on GoW for skincare.  PTR has a number of other peel pad formulations too. 

Hope that helps...

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
Maybe it's the combination with other products you use - like moisturizer or sunscreen?... I absolutely love Paula's Choice BHAs (pity it's so hard to get it in Poland), I have the 2% BHA gel right now and I have noticed that the best results come with the right combination. I apply the gel and than, after 5-10 minutes, a moisturizer. This is my night routine. The skin is very clear and bright in the morning, yet not too dried out or flaky from the acid, as it sometimes happens when I don't mix the acid with something else. So, maybe the important thing is not only WHAT you use, but also HOW you use it.

Erato, you bring up several excellent points about combos and timing.  You can also vary the time you leave a BHA on, and if it is too tingly or stinging, rinse it off or apply a moisture product.  Gradually you can leave it on longer for more effect.  I think up to 20 minutes, IIRC.

Also you point about how it is applied is very important.  How long you wait after cleansing is a factor. (The longer you wait after cleansing, the less irritation).  I also apply by patting on with my fingers instead of cotton pads or balls because even sweeping a cotton pad over my skin makes the BHA more irritating/ sensitizing.

So many factors to consider!  But it helps to tailor the product to our specific needs.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 04:33:48 PM »
makinalist, if you don't notice a difference when you switch cleansers, you probably don't need to think about it. Lucky you! :)
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »
Lucky me!  I didn't even know that not everyone can do this without any bad effects.  I was lucky and ignorant, all at the same time!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »
ddgattina, thank you for all of the advice!  Much appreciated.