News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What would you do if your HG is Holy Cow expensive?  (Read 4887 times)

verypunny

• Silver Member
What would you do if your HG is Holy Cow expensive?
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
My Chantecaille order came with a sample of Nano Gold Firming Treatment, so I tried it out.  The results took my breath away.  My 'who slapped you' red cheeks were nearly the same color as my regular skin.  I haven't seen that in (sniff) years.

I know its possible now, and I want skin-colored-skin like all the other kids (stomps foot petulantly)

But the price is pretty daunting.  $290 American.  Even so, I am still thinking about it. 

Before I do, though, I was wondering if there are any sites where I can put in the top ingredients and get product suggestions?

I'd also be interested to hear your thoughts in general.  What would you do if your HG was this expensive?

Any help is appreciated!  I'll be here, staring at my cheeks.  At least till I'm forced to wash up.  LOL

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What would you do if your HG is Holy Cow expensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
Holy Cow!  I gotta tell ya, punny - I cannot imagine that any skin care product is worth that much money!  Holy Cow!

This is not being marketed for redness, right?  It has gold, which I know is a common allergen, and probably not much of it.  It has peptides, which you can get in a lot of products these days.  It has some sort of stem cell regenerating stuff from Swiss apple extract or something like that.  I wonder which part helped your redness?

If it were me, I would look at some other lines for similar combinations that are targeted for redness.  There are lots of nice creams at the $100 price point or less that would surely work for you.  Try to get more samples, as many as you can.  Seriously.

I understand that you want the redness to go away.  Have you tried many products that claim to help that happen?  What about a dermatologist?  If you really can't find anything else that works, then maybe you will have to buy the $300 stuff.  I wouldn't do it, but that's just me!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

makeupmaven

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
I have rosacea but would rather use concealer than spend that on a face cream. Also, if I were you I'd want to sample it a bit longer before deciding.
  • Complexion: fair neutral
  • Eyes: boring brown
  • Hair: dark brown (over the grey), coarse, naturally curly but treated with keratin

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
I agree with Betty and Anne. I would sample as long as possible before springing for that much. Are there really any silver (er...gold) bullets out there? $300 is a whole lot of regret if the results are not long-standing or can be achieved with simpler components.

Holy cow, that's pricier than Sisley.
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

verypunny

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
I know, that price is absolutely stunning, isn't it?

I have tried all sorts of things for redness, from toleriane (no difference) to clinique's redness stuff (that one is truly dramatic on me! slap-face-city!) to Lumene (which also has the apple stuff, btw, but not the results), cerave to sisley, avon to Yes-to-Tomatoes (I'll just say no to that  one in the future, thank you).  Last thing I'll say is  to beware that evil-in-a-jar, Kiehl's acai-yai-yai-that-one-hurts.  ;)

I've seen a dermatologist and had laser treatments, which helped but didn't clear it away.  More recently, I've discovered I'm sensitive to chemica sunscreen and hyaluronic acid, which also helps a lot to know but didn't get rid of all the red.  Probably there are a few more things I'm sensitive to and need to identify, and I should probaby just keep on keeping on.  It was just such a 'wow' moment this morning that I couldn't help but think about it.

Maybe I'll consider the ingredient list as a 'safe list' of things I can use, to go along with the 'naughty list' of things that are bad for my skin as I evaluate other products.

Well, thanks for listening and sorry for rambling.  I just wanted you to know I have tried lots of things.  Plus, I'm writing this on my cel phone.  Yeah, that's it, I'll blame the phone...  LOL

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »
Aww, you have tried a lot of things, and probably spent a lot of money, too.  Put in perspective, a $300 face cream doesn't sound quite as bad.  (It still sounds pretty bad, though.)  Imagine when it was time to reorder!

There surely must be something else.  Good luck with the search and we will keep our eyes open, too.

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Oh, so difficult to feel that there is something that would work for you...but so expensive.

It's clearly less expensive than laser treatments...which might not work, and which could actually harm.

When I think of all the $ I've wasted on solutions that I hope will work...but don't, spending this much IF it really gave you great results might well be justified.  The problem is that sometimes people do report that something works well initially, then it stops working.  I've read this about Natura Bisse stuff, which is also ultra pricey.  And it might be some relatively cheap herbal (not the expensive nano gold) that is giving you this effect, as the product seems to have a zillion herbal ingredients too.

But then there are lots of lines that you haven't tried, which might help at much lower prices.  There were several new posts on the GoW website by people with rosacea singing the praises of their products (including one woman who's dermatologist noted the improvement and tried to take credit, until she told him that she wasn't using ANY of the things he recommended and prescribed.   I've had good luck with GoWs Rosacea Serum and Capillary buster (to the point where i use them only occasionally now) as well as with Isomers Anti-redness Serum.   I think Skin Actives has a good Rosacea serum that I've used in the past too.  All of these things are under $30 per oz.  GoW also has that Swiss Apple Stem Cell product in one of their serums.  

As you probably know, these ingredients are not proprietary, they are sold by lab suppliers to the cosmetic and skincare industry, so GoW and Skin Actives can buy and use them too.

In addition, both GoW and Skin Actives sell many of the actives in the Nano Gold separately (but not the nano gold itself).  The Chantecaille stuff has so many ingredients, it would be  difficult to figure out what is having the major anti-redness and healing effect for you,but there are several ingredients that could be doing the work.  

From my own experience I can say that sometimes all you have to do is break the cycle of inflammation, then treat your skin gently and appropriately.  So you *might* be able to use the nano gold stuff to do this and justify a one time trial, then also use that time to figure out what active is working and how you can cost-reduce your regimen.  This might be a good idea for another reason, because as others have noted, there is some reporting of the hazards of nano minerals/ingredients and you don't want to get into more trouble with that by using something that really hasn't been tested long-term.  

And before you spring for the full size, I'd visit a Chantecaille counter and tell them you are very serious about buying this IF a trial continues to show a good effect, and beg some more samples out of them.  If they believe you are a real prospect, and sincere about it, I bet they give you a bundle of samples to try for a little longer.  Then you can judge better whether this is where you want to spend.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »
So many good ideas there.  ddgattina is one of our most knowledgeable skin care experts and so willing to share what she knows.  

We appreciate you, dd!

I think that MUAC has an apple serum, too.  That must be the flavor of the month, so to speak.
Edited to add: It's their Phytocell Renewal Serum-Apple Stem Cells.  The Swiss apple is one which has the ability to heal itself.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:20:06 PM by makinalist »

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »
Yes it is costly. If it works for you - if you love it - and if you can afford it - why not??

Lots of us use that amount on sweets every year (month?). Or wine. Or shoes that make your feet hurt.

If it makes you happy, go for it!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:13 AM »
What I'd do is keep a look-out on eBay, Punny.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

verypunny

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:32 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, and the support!  I wish I had time to write more now, but I'm getting ready for  work.  I will say that I'll try all your suggestions that I can.  I've been to GoW (that's how I figured out I'm sensitive to hyaluronic acid, and maybe its time to return for more research)  but I haven't tried MUAC yet.

It's scary to think it might stop working, and all the more reason to try to sample more first. 

Since this stuff is not even marketed for redness, I do wonder if one of the botanicals is something my particular skin has been craving, as opposed to one of the ingredients being considered a redness stopper.  Is that possible?  Or maybe I am sensitive to a common ingredient that this does not have, and my skin is just breathing a sigh of relief.  LOL

Hope this all makes sense - sent from my cell  in a bit of a hurry as I get ready for work.

Punny

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
I think DD has a great idea-- use up your sample. If your skin is still responding well, throw yourself on the mercy of your Chantecaille counter and get another sample. Keep doing research. If nothing else works, then take a deep breath and get it. Buying 10 things that don't work and get tossed is worse than buying one really expensive product that really delivers. And if it breaks the inflammation cycle, you might not need to use it that often and it will last a long time.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
I just found this very cool ingredients analyzer online, and someone had already entered the ingredients for another Chantecaille nano gold product.  While the firming treatment you like may have slightly different ingredients, I bet many of them are the same. 
http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_a9fb20497.html

The cool thing is that you can scan for anti-inflammatories and see which might have reduced redness.

As you can see, there are several, calendula, borage, centella asiatica and bisabolol.  In addition to these, I believe that other sources would say the rosa damascena, banana (ananas). rose geranium (pelargonium) and possibly other also fight inflammation.  (But strangely, they might also cause allergies...I love eating bananas, but putting banana serum on my skin causes an allergic/ inflammation and redness reaction.  Go figure.)

Anyway this whole discussion makes me want to go to the Chantecaille counter ( I need some Future Skin foundation anyway) and beg for a sample!

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Quote from: verypunny
More recently, I've discovered I'm sensitive to chemical sunscreen and hyaluronic acid

This cream does contain HA as part of its hydration purpose:

Key benefits and ingredients include:
- Targeted smoothing results created by Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 and Palmitoyl Dipeptide-5 contain matrikines, which are peptidic cell messengers that stimulate the production of collagen, fibronectin and hyaluronic acid. These matrikines also activate the repair genes in skin healing.
- Energizing and anti-inflammatory: Global research continues to explore and prove the powerful effects of Nano Gold in both medicine and skincare for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-aging and energizing properties.

* 1.7 oz.
    * By Chantecaille.

I would drop a line to GoW and include these ingredients. I'd ask which of them reduce redness and ask if they have a cream or can dupe one for you with no HA in it. I'm pretty sure it won't be $300 for 1.7 oz.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »
Those are some more great ideas, ladies!  You might contact MUAC, too, while you're at it.  

Thanks for the website, dd - I have it bookmarked now for future use.  It looks really helpful.