News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Anyone like the Adriana Trigiani Valentine series?  (Read 1600 times)

linc2

• Platinum Member
Anyone like the Adriana Trigiani Valentine series?
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
I really enjoyed Adriana Trigiani's Valentine books: Very Valentine and Brava Valentine (supposedly, a third in the series coming next year).

Anyway, the Valentine books are definitely a cut above Big Stone Gap. Her writing has matured tremendously, her character development more believable. Love the setting in NYC. Adore the main characters: 30-something Valentine and her grandmother. They are partners in a family custom design wedding shoe business and they live together in Greenwich Village (natch!) Supporting cast: Valentine's traditional mother, sisters, brother, and various love interests (natch).

I suspended disbelief and my usual book-snobbery a bit and these books gave me such a lift! Adriana is obviously addicted to fashion and make-up -- the descriptions are ooh-la-la to die for! Her characters make you feel better about yourself and the odd people in your family that you can't do anything about.

Fans of Adriana probably all wish that they could hang out with her.  I sure do -- what a full of life, genuine person -- it's so obvious in her writing.

Anyone else read these?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:53:55 AM by linc2 »
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Anyone like the Adriana Trigiani Valentine series?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
I have not read these, but am definitely adding them to my list - thanks for the heads up.  I have not read her Big Stone Gap books either, but my dad's wife is a big fan.  She lived where those books take place as a little girl.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask